Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RichieMcC44
Topic Author

Celebrating 100 Years Of Commercial Aviation

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:31 am

Hello fellow flying fans!
Did you already know that 2014 is the 100th year of commercial aviation?
Check out www.flying100years.com - the story is all there and you can even submit your own flying stories.
It would be great to do something here on airliners.net with all the fascination old photos and some of the more amazing photos over the years.
Sometimes people forget how incredible flying really is and how much it has changed our world. I think this year is a perfect opportunity to remind them!
Tweet some ideas to celebrate #flying100 or just post some here.
Thanks and keep flying!
Richie

ckw

RE: Celebrating 100 Years Of Commercial Aviation

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:08 am

I don't think that's strictly correct - the German company DELAG was formed in 1909 as a commercial aviation company and began scheduled passenger services in 1910 using Zeppelins

Apparently DELAG had flown over 30,000 passengers before the start of WWI in 1914.

There were also a number of commercial mail & cargo services prior to 1914.

More correctly it's the 100th anniversary of commercial heavier than air passenger transport.

Cheers,

Colin

[Edited 2014-02-20 02:02:50]

RichieMcC44
Topic Author

RE: Celebrating 100 Years Of Commercial Aviation

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks Colin!
That's a brilliant line. "100th anniversary of commercial heavier than air passenger transport." Really made me chuckle.
You, of course, correct but i guess they went for the shorter title in recognition of the first paying passenger on a plane accepted as a fore-runner of modern commercial jets.
Still, whatever the exact definition, it's a great opportunity to remind people in general that being able to take a plane nowadays to any of the 40,000 destinations on the planet is pretty amazing - and to be fed and watch a movie at the same time!
You could go to the www.flying100years.com site and leave some comments or a story. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.
All the best,
Richie