Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ekkaihla
Topic Author

Athrust.com - Photos Used Without Permission?

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 am

Hello,

Came across this website called http://athrust.com/, which claims to have over 38000 photos in its database. I found a bunch of mine in there, all without any sort of permission. Most photos seem to have been uploaded by a single person. He does mention the name of the photographer, but at least in the case of my photos, they were edited (copyright bar cropped out, as well as part of the airplane cropped out in many of them).

Because of the large amount of material on the site, it is not possible for me to track down everyone individually and notify them. I did find some photos from well known names, such as AirNikon and Andrew Hunt (to name a few) in there. Of course, I can not know if their photos are there without their acknowledgement. As this was the case with my photos, I believe the chance for wider illegal use exists. Anyone who is interested, please take a look and see if your photos have been included on this collection without your consent.

The search function on the site doesn't seem to find the photographer name, the best way is probably to browse through using the aircraft type list:
http://athrust.com/aircraft

I couldn't find any prior discussion regarding the website in question on this forum, so please accept my apologies in case it is already old news.

Best regards,
-Esa
ekkaihla

Dazed767

RE: Athrust.com - Photos Used Without Permission?

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Ridiculous.....

Athrust.com succeeds with and because of its members. To reward the very best of our contributors, we hold an ongoing best jets photo contest. Our contest of aviation photos is based on monthly page views, so if you submit a photo to Athrust.com and it ranks in our Top 5 most viewed for the month, you can win up to $1,000.

Here’s how the contest breaks down:

Most Views - $1,000
Second Place - $500
Third Place - $300
Fourth Place - $200
Fifth Place - $200

Kaphias

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Looks like you could edit this URL to your photographer name to find photos: http://athrust.com/photo/author/YOUR%20NAME

Or search Google for "YOURNAME site:athrust.com" (without quotes).

planespot

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:51 pm

I "only" had 3 of my photos taken, but the FAQ is hilarious:

Quote:

«Are there any types of aviation photos that I cannot send?»
— Yes. You cannot send photos that you do not have copyright to. You should have taken the photo yourself. Uploading photos that do not belong to your is a violation of copyright laws. We will delete all of your photos if we find that you have been uploading photos that you do not own and will take legal action if there is a case. If you learn that you have uploaded a photo or photos that you do not own copyright to after the case, please notify us immediately so that we can have it removed. You may have photos that a friend or someone else you know has taken but you must have permission to post them so please contact us ahead of time with proof of permission.

Maybe he needs to read his own FAQ.
Cary Liao - AeroPX
@aeropxdotcom on Instagram

Moose135

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Quoting planespot (Reply 3):
but the FAQ is hilarious

Sounds familiar... https://www.airliners.net/faq/#3

KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

RCoulter

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Found four photos of mine on there, used the contact form. Hopefully they will be removed.

[Edited 2014-02-27 11:05:21]

len90

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Found one of mine on there. Contact sent requesting the immediate removal of my picture.
Len90

dendrobatid

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:10 am

Sixty odd of mine have been used (thanks Esa) and I have asked for their removal though the contact page does not inspire confidence
Fist name !

My fists have two names, left and right, the right being much stronger !  

Mick Bajcar

mkwiat
Screener

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:34 am

Just sent this out via my Twitter account so others can check their images too.

Psych

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks Matthew for that lesson in how to check things out for your own photos, and Esa, for bringing this to the community's attention. I was somewhat surprised to find some of mine there. All with single figure numbers of views, so I'm unlikely to be winning any prizes. A strange selection, given my knowledge of my own portfolio here. Very badly cropped too.

I am having to double-take as to whether Dazed767's post suggests that Esa is being ridiculous posting about all this. Is it ridiculous to worry about having your photos stolen because you may win a prize? Clearly, to my eye, it is ridiculous for this one guy to nick my photos and upload them there without my consent. From my brief perusal of the site, it looks like the same name is responsible for uploading a great many of the photos. And he is clearly in breach of the site's own rules as he openly admits he doesn't own the copyright. Funny what people spend their time doing.

Nowt so queer as folk, as they say.

Paul

Rotate

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for bringing that up, I also found a couple of mine pictures. Cant remember given this guy the permission. Sent an email.
ABC

McG1967

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:06 pm

Found 3 of my images on that site.

I clicked through to the versions hidden behind the thumbnail, and noticed that they were badly cropped versions of the original uploads to here. I think this is in part because I use the Anet watermark feature and the cropping appears to be done to get rid of that.

Anyway I've sent them an email, but don't hold out much hope given that it's a web form rather than a proper email address.

stevemchey

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Hope this is resolved by contacting the owner of the site. However, if that doesn't work, there is always the possibility to contact GoDaddy.com and notify them about copyright issues on one of the sites they are hosting. That usually gets the attention of site owners.

Go Daddy
Trademark/Copyright Infringement

clickhappy

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:03 pm

27 images of mine there. Just filed a DMCA take down letter with Go Daddy.

aal151heavy

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Esa.

Wow - this Mark Simon guy took a ton of my photos. I stopped scrolling after 14 pages.  

I have sent a message on the contacts page...we will see what happens.
My airliners.net photos

Dazed767

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:52 pm

Quoting Kaphias (Reply 2):

Or search Google for "YOURNAME site:athrust.com" (without quotes).

That worked, thanks. Had 9 of mine on there.

scbriml

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:22 am

None of mine there. Not sure if I'm pleased or insulted!   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

jkf

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:23 am

Quoting ekkaihla (Thread starter):

Why don't you watermark your pics? Watermarking is an indirect way to say these photos are protected and do not copy it.People will think twice before using it.There are good tools like Mass Watermark,with which you can watermark,resize and optionally add exif in a single workflow

Take a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKviwY-4tBY

len90

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Mine all have the airliners.net watermark on them when I upload. The site cropped the images when stealing them. I almost never upload my high quality shots without any markings.
Len90

Dazed767

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:27 pm

So I never got a response from the site about removing the photos. Their facebook page only seems to have been active last June/July and that was it. Last upload was last year on that site as well. Wonder if this guy abandoned his project or what here.