Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

haydenlamb21
Topic Author

Un-Sharp Mask, PS CS6 Vs PS CC

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi All,

Now just a quick question which has been on my mind for a while now and I am confused to know is there a difference or not with the Un-Sharp Masks performance between the 2 Photoshop versions?

I have been using Photoshop CS6 for a while now and love the sharpening with it, but after getting Photoshop CC I am wondering weather there are any improvements or not. In a comparison image with both sharpening versions applied and CS6 looked a tad better. I am just confused so can someone please enlighten me with information regarding this?

Huge Thanks in advance  

ckw

RE: Un-Sharp Mask, PS CS6 Vs PS CC

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:59 pm

I've not seen any documented updates to unsharp mask, however smart sharpen was given a major overhaul, so it may be some of this may have had an effect on unsharp mask (I suspect smart sharpen builds on the oldre sharpening tools).

I'd also say although I tend to avoid anything prefixed with "smart" or "auto" like the plague, smart sharpen is actually pretty damn good in its latest incarnation. In particular, it does a great job of avoiding halos and the incorporated noise reduction works pretty well.

I'm quite sure that with multiple layers and careful masking, you could do a better job, but as a convenient one click tool, I'd rate smart unsharpen well above unsharp mark.

Cheers,

Colin

dvincent

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:26 pm

The "smart" in smart sharpen is more knowing the right image areas and tone levels to sharpen and the ones not to. It's the equivalent of a scalpel to USM's hatchet. It should absolutely be the tool you want to use to sharpen your images these days.

alevik

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:45 pm

I used to use Photoshop Elements, and with it the USM sharpening process.

I got CS6 for better control over colour casts, and starting using smart sharpen. It is all I use now and works great.

Pete