96adrian
Topic Author

Spotting In Frankfurt

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:15 am

Hi!
I am going to Frankfurt in a few weeks to do some spotting. But before I travel I do have some questions:
- Are there any bicycle rental opportunities near the airport? Is it easy to get around the airport on bicycles?
- Does the Thai A380 always use runway 18 for take-offs?
- I am staying for three days. Is it worth spending some time by the new runway, 25R/07L? I have seen some photos of Air India and LAN Dreamliners there, do they always use this runway for landings? Are there anything else interesting to spot here?

I appreciate any replies. Thank you!

wilco737

RE: Spotting In Frankfurt

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 am

Quoting 96adrian (Thread starter):
re there any bicycle rental opportunities near the airport?

Never seen any to be honest. But that doesn't mean there are none.

Is it easy to get around the airport on bicycles?

Yes, there are good ways to use a bike to get to the spot at runway 18 or the spot on 25C/L.

Does the Thai A380 always use runway 18 for take-offs

Mostly when I saw it, it used runway 18. Only during strong nordwinds (unable to use runway 18) it used 25s.

Is it worth spending some time by the new runway, 25R/07L?

Yes, I like that spot there. Only the light poles are a little annoying. One needs to time the pictures so that the airplane is in between. But nice spot.

do they always use this runway for landings?

Not always. On the new runway 25R/ 07L land a lot of airplanes (except A380, MD11 and B747). So chances are high they l use that runway, but sometimes the 25L/ 07R is offered as well.

Enjoy spotting in FRA.

Here is a website with the spotting locations.

http://www.frankfurt-aviation-friends.de/spotting-locations-2/

wilco737

JKPhotos
Screener

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi Adrian,

Wilco already summed it up pretty well, but maybe I can give you additional information:

-bicycle:
Unfortunately there are no bicycle rental opportunities at or nearby the airport (I live in this area). The closest would probably be anything in Frankfurt. But It would be no problem to drive with the bike from Frankfurt city to the airport or you could even take the trains with a bike.
Bicycle paths around the airport are excellent and lots of people use it. You can get anywhere you want and it is often even easier to go by bike as parking is quite restricted around the airport.

-Thai A380:
It will surely use runway 18 for takeoff when the airplanes are landing from the east (rwys 25), whereas if airplanes are landing from the west (07s runways in use) it will use runway 07Center for departure most of the times. During summer (especially when we have good weather) that scenario is quite possible. You can still get some good departuree shots of it from position 1 on the above mentioned link.
But you'll need something like 250mm.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © PeterB

-runway 25R/07L:
Yes, it is worth spending time there, but you'll need some luck. On some days most of the intersting traffic avoids this runway and on other days you'll get some nice widebodies. Planes from the fareast and northamerica will likely land there but otherwise chances are probably 50/50, like for both mentioned dreamliners.
Please be aware that you will only have good light from the existing mound (spot 5) from 07:30 am to 4:00 pm, otherwise you'll be shooting against the sun. Afterwards you can walk or drive with a bike to the other side of the runway, but you'd need a small ladder to get shots like these:

View Large View Medium

Photo © JK Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

Without a ladder you could just get "normal" approach shots from the ends of the runway (which are not that bad after all  
View Large View Medium

Photo © JK Photography

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Julien

seahawk

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 am

That is interesting. Is it worth trying spot 1 when 07 is in use? Do take-off from 07C work form there. (Say 400mm effective)

96adrian
Topic Author

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:51 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 1):
Quoting JKPhotos (Reply 2):

Thank you very much for the replies! A lot of good and helpful information here  

JKPhotos
Screener

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Quoting seahawk (Reply 3):

That is interesting. Is it worth trying spot 1 when 07 is in use? Do take-off from 07C work form there. (Say 400mm effective)

Yes, absolutely. Airplanes flying to the east will use 07C most of the times. 300mm will be sufficient (unless you are using a full frame camera). You will only get widebodies anyway as narrowbodies take off way too early to get decent shots.

These shots were made with 260 and 215mm respectively from spot 1.

View Large View Medium

Photo © JK Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © JK Photography

seahawk

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:52 am

Thx. That is surely worth a try and probably more relaxing than the Affenfelsen. North wind should be good for that - right? Should force more heavies to not go for the West.

[Edited 2014-04-27 00:53:25]

Chukcha

Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:40 pm

Was heißt "Affenfelsen"?

seahawk

Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:19 pm

It is a nickname for the spotting platform on the 18. It means "rock of monkeys"

[Edited 2014-04-27 07:20:52]

JKPhotos
Screener

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Quoting seahawk (Reply 6):
North wind should be good for that - right?

Of course. In that case almost everything would use 07C.

But you don't need it, like I said before when 07 is in use almost every aircraft flying east (and north) will use 07C for departure, most north american bound flights, too. These directions make up for most of the heavies.

And yes it is far more relaxing than the infamous 18 West spot (I personally do not like the name 'Affenfelsen').

Chukcha

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:14 pm

Quoting seahawk (Reply 8):
It is a nickname for the spotting platform on the 18. It means "rock of monkeys"

Thank you. I understood the literal meaning of the word and suspected it would actually be a nickname for something of other   . Haven't been to that spot, maybe next time...

seahawk

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:30 am

Quoting JKPhotos (Reply 9):
And yes it is far more relaxing than the infamous 18 West spot (I personally do not like the name 'Affenfelsen').

thank you for the advice, I hope to put it to good use the coming sunday, if the weather is ok.

rospotter

Re: Spotting In Frankfurt

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Hello. Im new in Germany. I have 120 kmm away FRA, and 80 k. STR. I need a map with location spotting. Is possibile? Thanks !

Miguel1982
Head Screener

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:33 am

rospotter

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:57 am

Danke !