Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jagwar
Topic Author

How To Spot At ATL?

Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Hello..
I'm looking to spot at ATL on a trip which I've never done before, I found this little diagram as to where to spot. Is there anyone on the forum with ideas of areas or anyone who has been spotting there because I don't want to get stopped by security and my trip be ruined.
Here's the diagram:
http://flightlineaviationmedia.com/p...anespotting/locations/atlanta-atl/

727LOVER

RE: How To Spot At ATL?

Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:12 pm

Dude.....first off....why do you have 2 ATL spotting threads?

Second....here's a thread that's only 10 days old:
Photography At ATL & PDK (by CcrlR May 31 2014 in Aviation Photography)

....and here's one about 30 days old....these were both on the front page.

Third....you have this thread also:

How To Catch This Plane At ATL? (by jagwar Jun 15 2014 in Aviation Photography)

....but you started a similar thread a few days ago:
A380 At ATL? (by jagwar Jun 14 2014 in Aviation Photography)

C'mon
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

jagwar
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 1):

I suppose I should not have separated questions? Would you like to help or be the forum police?
Also your missing a link.
C'mon

[Edited 2014-06-15 12:12:36]

727LOVER

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:45 pm

The A380 only uses 9L/27R....as far as locations.....see the other threads
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

jagwar
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 3):

You only provided 1 link to a thread. Could you add the other?
Although i do have a pretty good idea of locations now after searching the forum database.
And by 9L/27R which runway is that out of these 5?
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae76/dominickennedy59/runways_zpsb97ff6f7.png

Also what would be the best option of finding out which way on the runway they're currently using?
like;

Thanks

[Edited 2014-06-15 13:21:03]

scbriml

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Quoting jagwar (Reply 4):

If you zoom in, you can read the runway markings.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

GuitrThree

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Although i do have a pretty good idea of locations now after searching the forum database.

Umm, why don't you simply look at the map on the Flightline Aviation link ****YOU**** provided?

Also what would be the best option of finding out which way on the runway they're currently using?

If you don't understand directional winds and how aircraft use them to take off and land, why don't you simply look up in the air and see which way they are flying?
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

jagwar
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 6):

1) I didn't know the diagram included such numbers.
2) I'm not even going to answer that stupid question.

GuitrThree

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Quoting jagwar (Reply 7):
1) I didn't know the diagram included such numbers.

Then you didn't look. They are marked clear as day.

Quoting jagwar (Reply 7):
2) I'm not even going to answer that stupid question.

YOU'RE the one who asked how's the best way to tell which runways are in use. Again, LOOKING works. Maybe you should be more observant before starting countless threads about the same thing (spotting at ATL) and asking everyone to do your homework for you. You call it a stupid question, but if you do understand wind direction and aircraft, can you not utilize such things as the countless weather websites, calling the AWOS at the airport, or even doing something as simple as looking at a flag to see which way the wind is blowing? Hey, try flightaware, watch the traffic, they even have a weather page for the airport in question. But in the end, if you choose to ignore all those options, the answer to tell what runways are in use IS as simple as looking which way the traffic is going. *THAT ALWAYS WORKS* Sorry if that sounds stupid to you, but geeze. Next you'll be asking someone to meet you there to set your camera to the best possible settings, then hand it to you.

Maybe sometimes the "Forum Police," as you put it, are needed.

[Edited 2014-06-15 14:36:19]
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

jagwar
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 8):

Flightaware is junk because everything has a 5min delay, FlightRadar24 is 100x better. Yes I suppose I will figure it out via Flightradar (seems like you'd know of it, looking at your sig  ), but I was curious as to if there was an easier/more convenient way of finding that out. And no i don't understand wind directions genius, and im not going to go outside and see which way the still wind blows me, in order to find out a plane's -POTENTIAL- direction. Also I do believe there is the factor of sound interfering with neighborhoods public areas etc, where they will switch off methods of direction based upon which route has received a certain amount of sound.
There is also this thing called "experience", in which someone of lower knowledge of a subject, ask another of higher knowledge of the subject.
Like a college student asking their professor a question about History, as he knows more of the subject.
Same applies here, me asking others (with more experience of aviation spotting etc) to help me out.
Also yes you may be right about me combining all of the questions into one thread, instead of separate ones.

I didn't make this thread for people to come along and tell me I'm an idiot for not noticing numbers on a diagram I wasn't even looking at at the time.
Your data is a tiny bit useful, but perhaps you could state it with more of a "nicer" attitude next time?

Anyway, I've spent enough time typing/responding to you.

jagwar
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 3):

Ignore my previous post, 727Lover.
Do you know if this runway is frequently used? Because on google eath the runway barely shows any rubber skidmarks. If it's not frequently used, I have a problem because I can't really track with flightradar24 to see which way they're going.

DLX737200

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:49 pm

Quoting jagwar (Reply 9):
Flightaware is junk because everything has a 5min delay, FlightRadar24 is 100x better.

A 5 min delay isn't really going to make a difference when you're really just trying to determine which direction the operation is going.

A simple visit to http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KATL and a click on a recent arrival will reveal something like this:

It's pretty easy to see that the plane landed flying east. Heck, if you zoom in enough you can probably make out that he landed on the north side (Runway 8L).

Quoting jagwar (Reply 10):
Do you know if this runway is frequently used? Because on google eath the runway barely shows any rubber skidmarks

Runway 9L is used for about 1000 flights a day but you don't see rubber because it's primarily used as a departure runway. ATL is very predicable for most of it's runways:

Runway 8L/26R is an arrival runway
Runway 8R/26L is a departure runway
Runway 9L/27R is a departure runway
Runway 9R/27L is an arrival runway
Runway 10/28 can be both depending on the time of the day. It's used for arrivals during arrival pushes and it's used for departures during departure pushes.

The only time time these patterns change is during emergencies or unusual situations like runway closures. Also, when the A380 was flying into ATL, it would sometimes land on Runway 9L/27R to make aircraft separation and ground taxi instructions easier on the controllers.

And 727Lover was partially correct, the A380 only DEPARTS on 9L/27R and it can only arrive on 9L/27R and 9R/27L. The other three runways are not up to standard to handle an A380.

I'm sorry if you feel picked on but around here we certainly appreciate people who do their own homework and use the search functions before asking questions that have been asked over and over. Welcome to A.net and I hope you get some good ATL photos.

DLX737200

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Also I do believe there is the factor of sound interfering with neighborhoods public areas etc, where they will switch off methods of direction based upon which route has received a certain amount of sound.

And for the record, this is never the case in ATL. Direction of flight is solely based on wind direction. They would not compromise the safety of flight with tailwinds for the sake of noise.

CcrlR

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:03 am

Ignore my previous post, 727Lover.
Do you know if this runway is frequently used? Because on google eath the runway barely shows any rubber skidmarks. If it's not frequently used, I have a problem because I can't really track with flightradar24 to see which way they're going.

The pictures on Google Earth are not current. I would not use that to base runway use on. There are ways to find out what runways are in use. You can get a airband scanner and find the frequency that tells you what runways are in use and if they are being used for arrival and departure.

Check LiveATC and put in KATL and look for the Arrival ATIS and Departure ATIS. If you do not know what ATIS is here is a:link

Flightaware has an airport diagram to help find which runways are in use, frequencies for tower and other areas, and where they are located. Do NOT base it on Google maps, airport operations change all the time depending on what is happening!

We are trying to help you out and if you are not familiar with what we are talking to you about you need to let us know. Someone us are really good at spotting and know how to find out which runways they are using and what is going on at the airport. We can help you out but you need to search the forum first before posting all the time.

You have to understand that we want to help you out but you must search the forums first for previous posts like mine I did that is linked above.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

jagwar
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:19 am

I appreciate the info, both. Have either of you spotted at ATL? The south parking garage seems excellent for seeing this A380. I read in 1 area that someone went there and the cops just waved. Also i think someone else went there and got caught?
Is the south parking garage spotter friendly? cause it would be a shame to go on the trip and get caught

727LOVER

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:20 am

ATL is the busiest airport in the world. The southernmost runway is sort of a reliever runway....but the other 4 are used nonstop all day and until midnight or so. Constant moving activity.

The middle one.....which happens to be the longest.

If aircraft land on 10/28, you can get afternoon shots in a industrial parking area as they taxi northward.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ozell Stephens Jr
View Large View Medium

Photo © flightdeckimages

At this time of year, I would suggest getting a room at the Renny.

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Padgett
View Large View Medium

Photo © Patrick Kane

South parking deck:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Flightline Aviation Media - Bruce Leibowitz
View Large View Medium

Photo © Flightline Aviation Media - Bruce Leibowitz

At the corner of Riverdale Rd and Sullivan road....good for 27L heavy takeoffs or 9R arrivals.....you can get these shot:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis David Sanchez
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

There is an old abandoned resteraunt on US 19/41 for approaches to 26R....personally it's a little too high for my liking.

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Propwash Photography

Hope this helps.

unattendedbag

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:45 am

I didn't make this thread for people to come along and tell me I'm an idiot

funny how that works out...
Slower traffic, keep right

jagwar
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:46 am

Quoting unattendedbag (Reply 16):

ha-ha

[Edited 2014-06-15 17:47:08]

unattendedbag

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:49 am

Quoting jagwar (Reply 14):
cause it would be a shame to go on the trip and get caught

When are you planning this trip? Good views change based on the season.
Slower traffic, keep right

jagwar
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:55 am

Quoting unattendedbag (Reply 18):

some time next month.
Also to clarify what i meant was security showing up.

727LOVER

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:02 pm

You only provided 1 link to a thread. Could you add the other?

Oops....this one:
ATL Spotting (by TL53098 May 2 2014 in Aviation Photography)

jagwar
Topic Author

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:58 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 20):

Have you been spotting at ATL?

727LOVER

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:32 am

Quoting jagwar (Reply 21):
Have you been spotting at ATL?

That's a big 10-4:

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7580619&nseq=9
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7566079&nseq=14

Oh...I forgot about the cell phone lot.....you can see it here:
http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/air...s-security-breach-caught-on/vhz6f/

jagwar
Topic Author

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:21 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 22):

Tell me about security.. what are your experiences with ATL security? I really see potential on top of the parking deck, shooting pics from up there. How many times have you gotten caught? if so how?
As much info as you want to give me, thanks.

727LOVER

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:46 pm

[quote=jagwar,reply=23]what are your experiences with ATL security?[/quote

I've never had a problem, but I've only been on specific ATL spotting trip only 3 times in the last 10 years. Plenty of times connecting though, taking pics within the terminal.

You're probably better off with some who frequent the airport more often. Keep in mind, there are several airline/contractor employees who also shoot ATL but they are inside the fence. They don't seem to work,....just shoot pictures. LOL

I forgot this one.....garage @ Terminal F on the far east side of the field. You'll probably only be able to get something 767-300 or larger.

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

jagwar
Topic Author

Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:49 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 24):

what garage?

727LOVER

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:34 am

It's a few hundred feet to the east of Terminal F.....actually its to the right of Delta's TOC if looking north.

DLX737200

Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:37 pm

Quoting jagwar (Reply 23):
Tell me about security
Quoting jagwar (Reply 23):
How many times have you gotten caught?

I'm a little annoyed by this... Your use of the word "Caught" makes it sounds like us photographers are doing something wrong and were discovered. All of us have had our encounters with security guards and law enforcement from time to time, but I would never say I got caught unless I was doing something I shouldn't have.

ATL has security guards on each level of their parking decks. Most of them know good and well that the City of Atlanta Department of Aviation allows photographers to utilize their parking decks for photography. Occasionally, you'll meet a new or poorly trained security guard who thinks otherwise. Just ask them to speak to their supervisor about the Department of Aviation's policy on photography and they'll likely be set straight and you'll be allowed to enjoy your hobby.

Same could be said for police. A few years ago, the Department of Aviation issued permits for photographers to use the garages and then decided it wasn't worth it. Afterwards, many cops would ask photographers for their permits and when the photographer could not produce one, because they were not being issued anymore, many photographers were kicked out. Now, that was a few years ago and I'm sure it's been settled by now. I have never had an issue on any ATL parking decks and the few I know who have, have always been allowed to stay after a friendly chat with the security guard or police officer. Just be respectful, have your license ready to provide to a law enforcement officer if asked, and comply with whatever they tell you to do, even if it's leave. You can always settle it later with the officials of the airport.

727LOVER

Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 27):
but I would never say I got caught unless I was doing something I shouldn't have.

....or unless you're @ SFB 

jagwar
Topic Author

Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:15 am

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 27):

By no means was I implying that aircraft photography was wrong. I meant "caught" in the way of a member of law enforcement noticing your photography and approaching you about it.
Thanks for that information.

[Edited 2014-06-20 20:18:05]