Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mardayvirin
Topic Author

Blurry Photos

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Hope this is not a silly question !!
Camera canon 60d with 24-105 lens, shoot in manual mode between f5.6 -f8 shutter speed between 1/640 - 1/800 iso between 100-200, use centre AF point AL servo
Photos of heavies eg A380 , 747 are good but photos of small aircraft eg A319 etc are mostly blurry.
(For those familiar with Heathrow I shoot mostly on Myrtle Green standing close to the hedge/fence )
Any advice will be appreciated
Thanks
Chris

[Edited 2014-08-04 13:44:14]

photopilot

RE: Blurry Photos

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Well, assuming the distance to the AC is roughly the same, the only real difference is the size of the AC. Which means you're likely zoomed in further for the smaller AC than the big ones.

Try a few tests where you use the same zoom setting for both big and small AC. Just wait for the smaller AC to get closer so they are the same size in the frame, assuming you're not shooting directly side on.

Could be a sharpness issue at various zoom settings that you've got.

dazbo5

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm not familiar with the location, but could heat haze be a contributor? You'd certainly notice it more with more zoom on smaller aircraft than you would on larger aircraft. Just a thought. Maybe you could post an example of a large and small aircraft so you can illustrate what your problems are?

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

G-CIVP

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:04 pm

We need to know what type of lens your 24-105mm is. At a guess it's a 'silver ring' standard kit lens. This lens can provide reasonable results but I'm surmising that if you are shooting the small stuff at the top end, i.e. 105mm, the images will tend be less sharp than the heavies which will require a shorter focal length. This is because Canon kit lenses are notoriously soft at the top end. Also, if you are using it at f5.6, this isn't going to proivde the optimum results.

Other factors such as heat haze aren't so much of a problem in Mrytle Avenue as there's less concrete to refract heat directly upwards! The other big problem is the time of year is the sun. The sun is still simply too high for the best results, ignoring early morning and late evening. I've seen some hideous stuff taken at LHR this summer. (And no, they weren't my photos as I haven't been out!)

If you want some more advice, send me a private message via my profile and I will endeavour to help, especially as you live nearby!.

G-CIVP

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Reading a Dazbo5 reply on another post, we also need to know the default image [picture] settings you are using. Please could you disclose these as they have a big influence on the final image.

vikkyvik

Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 3):
We need to know what type of lens your 24-105mm is. At a guess it's a 'silver ring' standard kit lens. This lens can provide reasonable results but I'm surmising that if you are shooting the small stuff at the top end, i.e. 105mm, the images will tend be less sharp than the heavies which will require a shorter focal length. This is because Canon kit lenses are notoriously soft at the top end. Also, if you are using it at f5.6, this isn't going to proivde the optimum results.

Far as I know, the only Canon 24-105 is the L-class lens. The "kit lens" in this range is EF 28-135 or EF-S 18-135.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

mardayvirin
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:00 am

Thank you all for your replies, I use Canon 24-105 L lens ( red ring )
The picture style (settings) I use is: Sharpness on 2 notch and contarst on 1 notch, the rest on 0
I will try to load a couple of photos as examples when I found out how to do it
Many thanks once again

mardayvirin
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:27 am

I want to upload a couple of photos to the forum , when I click on add images it comes up with "You currently do not have any photos in your profile" can someone very kindly explain how to do this.
Thank you
Chris

dazbo5

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi Chris,

Use Flickr or Photobucket, something like that to upload your photos to then paste the link here. Alternative, I'm more than happy to take a look at it if you send me a private message via my profile.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

G-CIVP

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Chris - while I think of it, are you using a filter on the front end?

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Quoting mardayvirin (Reply 7):
I want to upload a couple of photos to the forum , when I click on add images it comes up with "You currently do not have any photos in your profile" can someone very kindly explain how to do this.

"Add Images" is to add images to a forum post. To do so, you have to add them to your profile first:

Community --> View Your Profile --> Add More Photos (down at the bottom)

Since you're a premium member, you can only add 2 MB worth of photos. So you're probably better off doing what Darren suggested:

Quoting dazbo5 (Reply 8):
Use Flickr or Photobucket, something like that to upload your photos to then paste the link here.

However, it's worth uploading to a site that doesn't compress your photos, so you may want to look into that.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

mardayvirin
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 9):

Hiya

There is a UV filter on the lens

mardayvirin
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:42 pm

dendrobatid

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:46 pm

I stongly suspect the IS !
The 24-105 has an on-off IS rather than the two mode one that many lenses have so that if the IS is on the lens will attempt to correct for panning. A shame that a not-so-cheap lens does not have the two mode option for what would cost a pittance to have been included
The IS on that lens is good for a static subject, awful for panning and I reckon that is the problem

Mick Bajcar

mardayvirin
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 13):

Thanks MIck

G-CIVP

Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Mick - Slightly off-topic. Is there a quality L lens in the 24-105mm which doesn't have an 'on-off' IS? Reason why I ask is I was going to purchase one. If it's got an ify IS setting, there seems little point.

Chris - Do this. Take a couple of photos with the filter on, then with the filter off, preferably at different focal lengths but comparable ones, e.g. 105, 80 etc. I wouldn't bother driving to the airport to do this as any subject will suffice. I think you will be surprised at the results. If it isn't the IS as Mick suggests, I suspect it the filter which is causing the blur.

Digressing, presumably the photos above are unedited?

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:15 pm

Quoting mardayvirin (Reply 12):

A few notes/questions:

1.) Are the photos cropped at all?
2.) Can you upload a couple full-size versions? Would be easier to diagnose.
3.) I assume the small-airplane photos are zoomed in more. Can you provide the focal lengths for the photos?
4.) I really hate that special BA livery.

dendrobatid

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:50 am

G-CIVP
Tim
I find the 24-105 a good lens but by no means perfect. Due to its small size it is superb, especially on a crop camera, for air to air in a cramped cockpit - I am pretty huge and moving around with a big lens can be an issue. I do not use the IS much as the aircraft vibration seems to confuse it (as does putting it on a tripod btw). It is a very useful lens for photograhing aircraft on a crop camera at effectively about 40-160 mm

I have a full-frame 5D, the original one and the results on that are great except for vignetting which can be awful and very evident if the background is even toned such as the sky. It is easy to correct in RAW but as I only have the first 5D it is not possible to set the camera up to recognise the lens so it is time consuming.

Mick

KaiGywer

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:52 am

I have similar issues with many of my shots, shooting with a Sony a65 with a Tamron 18-200. Could IS be an issue for me also? Should I turn it off?
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

dendrobatid

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:51 am

Kai
I am not familiar with that lens at all but many lenses have two modes of IS, one for static shots and the other where the horizontal stabilisation is disabled for panning shots (modes 1 and 2 respectively with Canon).
If your lens has only one mode then it could easily be an issue as I am suggesting with Chris's 24-105. I have seen opinion that when you are panning the IS simply does not work as it 'kind of' gets overloaded by so much movement but if the lens did try to stabilise during a pan I feel that it could create the type of blur that Chris is seeing.

The only way to be sure is to turn it off and see.

Mick

KaiGywer

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:39 am

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 19):
I feel that it could create the type of blur that Chris is seeing.

It looks very similar

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 19):
The only way to be sure is to turn it off and see.

You mean I have to go back to the airport for more spotting? Shucks...  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

G-CIVP

Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:02 pm

After all this advice, are we going to be treated to the definitive answer as to the root cause?

AMDX1325

Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:20 am

Quoting mardayvirin (Thread starter):

Check out the sharpness test for 24-105L below:
http://lenstests.com/reviews/canon-ef-24-105mm-f4l-is-usm-page-2

Assuming you are shooting at 105mm alot, the images are going to be softer because the lens simply performs that way. I suggest you find out what range you use alot and get a prime lens for that focal length. Prime lens are sharper and better in just about every way except no zoom. Canon IS performs well, I usually leave it on in all situation EXCEPT single axis panning (horizontal or vertical). Some lenses have Mode 1 and Mode 2 for static shots and moving shots, which are more useful for stabilizing panning/moving shots. Overall 24-105L is a starter/basic "L" lens, its unreasonable to expect too much. There are also sample variations, check other user's photo with same setup and see if your lens is performing to spec.

Having seen your photos, they are indeed a bit soft, but I find canon rendering softer than nikon out of the box anyway. Tweak your camera settings to see if you can do better with regard to sharpness. Additionally, you should only use top quality UV filter like B+W or HOYA HD if you must have one to protect your lens. Mid-range and cheap UV will severely degrade image quality and cause reflections/ghostings, etc. UV filters were made for a time when films were sensitive to UV spectrum, our digital bodies do not need to use UV filter as it is "immune" to UV by design.

[Edited 2014-08-08 22:50:28]

AMDX1325

Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:36 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 18):

Tamron 18-200 is a "dog lens" (what us photo gearhead calls it), its wonderful for everyday use and private photos, but it can't resolute to A-Net standard, it just won't happen. Large zoom range usually causes sacrifice in contrast, sharpness and overall image quality. For my Sony users, use website linked below to check out performance of the lens you have or you're buying. Here I have linked the reviews for Tamron 18-200 and Tamron 70-300VC, I think the Tamron 70-300VC will perform much better for your plane spotting purposes if you happen to use the higher zoom ranges of your current lens alot, its also relatively affordable...
Tamron 18-200 Reviews
Tamron 70-300VC Reviews

[Edited 2014-08-08 22:55:38]

G-CIVP

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Some very good advice from AMDX1325.

mardayvirin
Topic Author

Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:21 am

Quoting AMDX1325 (Reply 22):