Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wilco737
Topic Author

Thinking About New Camera

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi guys,

I am currently thinking if I want/ need a new camera.

My Canon 7D iis not broken, it still works fine after 3,5 years but I hear more and more that a full frame makes a lot more sense.

I thought about getting an upgrade to the 5D MK III. Now, this is not the cheapest camera, but all my lenses (4 total) I have can still be used on the 5D. So I wouldn't need new lenses.

Now I heard many recommend the new Nikon cameras. The D800 is the direct comparable camera to the 5D. I have seen a couple of pictures taken with it and they for sure look good, but so do the ones from the 5D.

The 5D doesn't have an inbuild flash, which I personally don't use a lot and hence I don't want to buy an external as I only use it once or twice a year.
The D800 has the flash and it would make sense then.

Next issue is, if I change to Nikon, I have to sell all my equipment I bought over the years and buy new stuff. So new camera, new lenses etc.
So is it really worth changing to Nikon or sticking to Canon with 5D (even without flash)?

And what is about other Nikon or Canon camers? Like the Canon 6D? Or Nikon D750 (which will be released soon)?

What are your opinions?

Many thanks.

wilco737

airkas1

RE: Thinking About New Camera

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:29 pm

The 5D is excellent, also in low light conditions (which I'm assuming you have often enough in the cockpit for example). In my personal opinion, the flash-issue isn't worth changing to Nikon for (not to mention it seems like a lot of hassle).

powwwiii
Screener

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Since you already invested a lot in Canon, I would say stay with them, also Nikon does not really offer more in their product line right now, the built in flash is not that useful, I tried it once in a cockpit and got bad reflections from those screens.

wilco737
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Quoting airkas1 (Reply 1):
also in low light conditions (which I'm assuming you have often enough in the cockpit for example).

I don't buy the camera for cockpit shots only   so this is not the main issue. But thanks for the feedback.

Quoting airkas1 (Reply 1):
In my personal opinion, the flash-issue isn't worth changing to Nikon for (not to mention it seems like a lot of hassle).

It really makes me think. I need the flash not often, but only for these couple times buying an external one is too much in my opinion.

Quoting powwwiii (Reply 2):
In my personal opinion, the flash-issue isn't worth changing to Nikon for (not to mention it seems like a lot of hassle).

True. But one if my lenses don't work with the 5D anymore. So I would need to buy one more anyway.

Using flash in the cockpit is usually not a good idea. As you mentioned the reflections ruining it. Unless using an external one.

My tendency is for the 5D. I read so many positive things about it.

wilco737

ckw

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:30 pm

You would lose a lot more switching from Canon to Nikon than an external flash would cost you, if that's the only issue.

Any of the Yongnou range (essentially Chinese copies of the Canon Speedlights) provide excellent value for money, and are excellent quality.

Cheers,

Colin

wilco737
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Quoting ckw (Reply 4):
You would lose a lot more switching from Canon to Nikon than an external flash would cost you, if that's the only issue.

Of course it would cost more to switch to Nikon. But I read on several forums that the image quality of the D800 is incredible, especially with 36 MP. Thats what makes me think if it would be worth investing that money.

Thanks.

wilco737

notaxonrotax

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:32 am

The D610 is a hit for me!
Heck, it helped my acceptance ratio!

The real question is: are you really ready for THAT kind of switch?

No Tax On Rotax

wilco737
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:20 am

Quoting Notaxonrotax (Reply 6):
Heck, it helped my acceptance ratio!

I am not buying a new camery for spotting. More for photography in general   My acceptance ratio is not the best, but currently in the 40%, so I am fine with that. Best in quite some time.

Quoting Notaxonrotax (Reply 6):
The real question is: are you really ready for THAT kind of switch?

I am actually thinking about it, yes. I wouldn't sell my Mercedes and thinking about buying a BMW though  But here it is something different.
Sticking with Canon would be the easier way. But easy is not always the best  

wilco737

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:27 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 7):
Sticking with Canon would be the easier way. But easy is not always the best

Every photographer has his/her preference, but your already existing lens collection counts for a lot, in my book.

Keep in mind that you lose a lot of effective focal length when switching to full-frame. I don't know how much telephoto shooting you do, but your 300mm lens (for example - I don't know what you have!) is now really a 300mm lens, instead of 480mm. You'll probably gain some ability to crop in more, but it is something to think about.

ThierryD

Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:01 am

Hey Phil,

some experience from a now 6 month D800 shooter:

I upgraded from the D700 and haven't regretted it any second. The D700 was already a great camera but the picture quality of the D800 is even better and what's really worth buying the D800 is the greater resolution. With 36MP you have much better cropping options. Also the capabilities of the camera in low light are great.
It is true that the built-in flash is not superb but it can help you out here and there should you need a bit more light and you haven't got any external flash with you. If you know its restrictions it is ok.

Should you decide to switch to Nikon, keep in mind that you'll probably still get a good price for your Canon lenses on Ebay (just sold two older Nikon lenses that way and got a very good price). At the moment I have the following package of lenses: AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm, AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm, Sigma 50-500 and just got the AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm. This covers all the necessary ranges and e.g. the 28-300 is a superb lens for travel needs when you only want to carry along one lens. Since you'd only need one long range zoom, I'd go for the new Sigma 50-500 or the Nikkor 80-400, depending on whether you need the extra 100mm of the Sigma or prefer to go for more sharpness and better low light capabilities of the 80-400mm. You'd have to calculate with around 3000-3400€ for 3 of these lenses.

Should you want to stick to Canon, I'd still recommend you switch to a camera with a full frame and a resolution higher than the 5D's 12MP. I know it will be more expensive but I am sure you won't regret it in the long run. As for the flash issue, you may still get one of those Speedlites. I got a similar one for the D800 and always carry it with me on my trips. It is very small, weighs basically nothing and is of much more use than the built-in flash.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Cheers,

Thierry

wilco737
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:30 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 8):
Every photographer has his/her preference, but your already existing lens collection counts for a lot, in my book.

That's true. I have 4 lenses and I wouuld need to sell all of them and would want to start with 2 lensen with Nikon. That was my thought. And selling 4 lenses and a camera would bring me quite some money as well.

Keep in mind that you lose a lot of effective focal length when switching to full-frame. I don't know how much telephoto shooting you do, but your 300mm lens (for example - I don't know what you have!) is now really a 300mm lens, instead of 480mm. You'll probably gain some ability to crop in more, but it is something to think about.

I currently have 400mm with the 7D. and I would want to keep that lense with the 5D. Sure, less focal length, but usually the 400 are enough.
Thanks for the hint though.

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 9):
With 36MP you have much better cropping options. Also the capabilities of the camera in low light are great.

Yeah the 36MP are quite impressive. Read in some tests that the low light capabilities are quite good with the Nikon, especially at higher ISO's. But the Canon is for sure not bad as well. And I am not often shooting in low light. usually normal daylight conditions.

It is true that the built-in flash is not superb but it can help you out here and there should you need a bit more light and you haven't got any external flash with you. If you know its restrictions it is ok.

I know it is not superb, but better than no flash at all.

Should you decide to switch to Nikon, keep in mind that you'll probably still get a good price for your Canon lenses on Ebay

I checked already how much I could get for the camera and the lenses. Not too bad, especially for the canon 100-400mm L lense. It is still a lot of money worth.

I have the following package of lenses:

That is indeed a good range of focal length and great lenses. And 500mm is for sure not bad. No experience with Sigma though. Only owned a Tamron (horrible) and all other lenses were canon.

You'd have to calculate with around 3000-3400€ for 3 of these lenses.

Plus the camera, that would be quite a lot of money. Not sure if I want to spend all that. 'only' getting the 5D would be cheaper.

Should you want to stick to Canon, I'd still recommend you switch to a camera with a full frame and a resolution higher than the 5D's 12MP.

5D has 22MP, i guess only a typo   What would you recommend? 1D? That is horrible expensive... So that's why my choice would be 5D III.

It is very small, weighs basically nothing and is of much more use than the built-in flash.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Really appreciate it. Great help.

wilco737

NZ107

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:47 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 10):
1D? That is horrible expensive... So that's why my choice would be 5D III.

Not just that, but the extra weight... Not really worth it unless you were a pro.

I love my 5D3.. I wouldn't trade it myself. High ISO stuff... D800 might win but for me right at this stage, I couldn't be bothered changing all my lenses and accessories and also having to learn a new system when Canon's is just fine.

oly720man

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Thread starter):
Like the Canon 6D?

I've got the 6D which is a bit of a de-rated 5D. The rumour is that there had to be something to distinguish it from the 5D otherwise they'd be competing in the same market. The AF isn't as fast as it is on the 5Diii because they use different mechanisms, but I don't use it (yet) where that's an issue.

I have noticed that the battery life isn't as long as on my 600D, but other than that I've been very happy with it. I just have more batteries. It has wifi and gps, but haven't needed those, other than to tinker and see if I could use my iThings to talk to it over wifi.

For a leisure camera, the 6D is 3/4 the weight of the 5Diii which your neck or shoulders may comment on.

waketurbulence

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:14 pm

I like my 6D as well, wifi and GPS are very handy at times. While it would be nice to have better AF during sports or other quick action, I have not been hampered during aviation photography. The image quality is much better than the 7D (especially at high ISO), which I came from, and it makes very nice prints and enlargements. The files can be manipulated in post production much further than the 7D, which allows for more creative processing.

Two things I miss from the 7D - crop factor of 1.6x really helped in aviation and having a popup flash was handy. I now carry a super light 90EX flash in my bag so I was able to solve 1 of the 2 issues I had with upgrading.

With all that said I have also contemplated grabbing a D800 14-24, 24-120, and new 80-400, but it would cost a large amount to switch, and I do like the Canon system and my current lens lineup. I guess I'll have to wait for Canon to come out with a high MP body for now.
-Matt

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:40 pm

That's true. I have 4 lenses and I wouuld need to sell all of them and would want to start with 2 lensen with Nikon. That was my thought. And selling 4 lenses and a camera would bring me quite some money as well.

Just to clarify, what I meant was that I'd be reluctant to switch if I had 4 good Canon lenses already (which I do, and therefore I'm reluctant to switch!).

I currently have 400mm with the 7D. and I would want to keep that lense with the 5D. Sure, less focal length, but usually the 400 are enough.

Fair enough. Just remember that you're going from 640mm to 400mm!

iamlucky13

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:26 am

Quoting wilco737 (Thread starter):
My Canon 7D iis not broken, it still works fine after 3,5 years
all my lenses (4 total) I have can still be used on the 5D. So I wouldn't need new lenses.
I have seen a couple of pictures taken with it and they for sure look good, but so do the ones from the 5D.

So too, I would wager, do the images from the 7D.

Reading your posts, what I'm not seeing is what you feel are the ways the 7D falls short. Knowing that would give you a better chance of figuring out which camera might be the best upgrade.

It seems you have a case of upgraditis (impulsive desire for new gear) combined with grass-is-greener syndrome.

There's nothing wrong with upgraditis. I just have a general inclination to try to temper the impulse so others don't rush into an upgrade with unclear expectations.

As far as grass is greener syndrome, even as a very satisfied Nikon user, I don't think there's any good reason to jump brands unless you can clearly identify something you want that Canon doesn't offer. Both Canon and Nikon trade a few benefits back and forth, and you have not only your existing collection of lenses, but also your familiarity with Canon's user interface that you've invested a fair amount of time learning.

For flash if you do spring for the 5D, it looks like the 270EX is pretty compact, and would give you the added benefit of being able to bounce. The 90EX is even smaller, but doesn't tilt to bounce. It just takes a small amount of foresight to decide whether you're likely to need it during a given outing or not to decide whether to pack it, or to just risk it and rely on the excellent low light capability of your camera for unexpected situations.

wilco737
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:03 am

Quoting WakeTurbulence (Reply 13):
Quoting oly720man (Reply 12):

Thanks for the insight on the 6D. Sounds like an excellent camera as well.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 14):
Just to clarify, what I meant was that I'd be reluctant to switch if I had 4 good Canon lenses already (which I do, and therefore I'm reluctant to switch!).

That's how I understood it. Thanks.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 14):
Fair enough. Just remember that you're going from 640mm to 400mm!

Yes, I am aware of that. But for most things I do the 400mm should be enough.

Quoting iamlucky13 (Reply 15):

I am still quite happy with the 7D. Just compared it to pictures from others with other cameras and the image quality was far better. My pictures are far more noisy, even at ISO 200 and of course worse when I use more than ISO 200.
That made me think about getting a new camera. And the step to full frame was something I thought about when I bought the 7D back in 2011. But decided against it.

So, I guess I wait for some good deals and have an open eye in all directions.

Thanks for all the feedback and the insight and the help. Greatly appreciated.

wilco737

ckw

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:45 am

Just a thought...

First let me say I am fully aware of the differences between optical telephoto and crop telephoto.

As I understand it, most of you want long lenses primarily to fill the frame, rather than for their optical effects (eg. compressed perspective, shallow DOF etc.)

It would seem then, that the Olympus OMD-EM1 is an obvious alternative to the 7D.

- feature quality on a par, or better, possibly equal to 7D2
- image quality better than 7D up to 400 ISO, maybe 800 (I think the amount of noise at 800-1600 is similar, but somehow Oly noise is less ugly)
- fully weatherproof ... and I mean really weather proof. You could submerge this camera if it were not for the effect of water pressure. No problem standing in pouring rain
- weight and bulk saving
- EVF viewfinder brighter and more informative
- tiltable lcd screen
- camera body 5 axis IS (all your lenses now have IS)

The downside is the AF. But let's get this in perspective. In single shot mode, this is lightning fast. Faster than a 7D, faster than a 5D3. 81 points across the full width of the screen. All fully reliable. The speed significantly reduces the need for CF (the subject needs to be moving very rapidly for single shot to miss - eg. small bird in flight). I know many aviation photographers prefer blipping the shutter in single shot mode over CF anyway. The EM1 will do this better.

The CF is sluggish for sure ... I think its main value is for tracking a subject moving across the viewfinder - any decent DSLR will beat it for subjects coming towards you at speed.

But the EM1 has a secret weapon called "focus peaking". If you use a lens in manual mode, you can set the viewfinder/LCD to display a highlight around what is actually in focus ... a bit like DSLR highlight warnings. This makes
manual focus a breeze - easier than it ever was with non-AF cameras. I also like the visual confirmation while composing the shot - much better than crossed fingers and a prayer that the CF nailed it.

Couple that with the fact that there are adaptors for pretty much any lens ever made, and we have some interesting possiblities. Old quality manual focus 70-200's can be had for next to nothing. Mount that on an EM1 and you have a fast 140-400 equivalent. Decent old fast MF 300s and 400s are not hard to find for a reasonable price, with the frame filling equivalent of a 600 or 800.

Quality wise, these old lenses will suffer a little due to inferior coatings compared to present day, and may not have some of the sophisticated elements in current top end glass. On the plus side, these are full frame lenses, and you're only going to use the central portion of the image circle, hence sharpness across the frame, even wide open should be good.

Yes, I know I sound like an evangalist for m43. But I've used an older EM-5 alongside a 5D3 for nearly 2 years - I've a pretty good idea of their relative strengths and weaknesses. I've just traded in my remaining Canon equipment for an EM-1 and Oly glass, so I've put my money where my mouth is! I'm still coming to terms with the additional features of the EM-1, but it is an awesome bit of kit.

Cheers,

Colin

yerbol
Screener

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Wilco!
I suggest you to stay with Canon and get a 5D Mark III which is a fantastic camera + you have Canon lenses already.
It is expensive however it will serve you well for many years.
Please let us know which camera you finnaly got  

Brgds, Yerbol

wilco737
Topic Author

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:16 am

Quoting ckw (Reply 17):

Thanks. Will do some research here as well. never heard of that camera to be honest.

Quoting yerbol (Reply 18):

Thanks for the feedback.

Quoting yerbol (Reply 18):
Please let us know which camera you finnaly got  

Will do. Thanks.

Looks like my 7D is making trouble now   
Cannot copy pictures to PC anymore...

wilco737

jrowson

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:58 pm

I ditched my 7D yesterday after 4 years as it started error 30'ing on me. I took the plunge and went full frame with a 6D. I've not been out avgeeking with it yet but just a few shots around the house show that this is going to be one awsome piece of kit. The only thing I have to consider now is getting something a bit longer to compliment my 70-200+1.4x. Good luck with your decision.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:21 pm

If IQ is the main object D810 should be worth considering. I switched to Nikon in 2011 and did have a second canon body (50D/7D)till recently when I decided to sell all Canon stuff except my S100. I find the NEF files to be far superior to a CR2 file when I need the hightlight/shadow details.
For shooting planes these don't matter as rebel is more than enough for the acceptance ratio on this site.

wilco737
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:43 am

Quoting JRowson (Reply 20):

Is the 6D any good? I am not too sure with it to be honest. I was happy with the 7D and not sure if the 6D is an improvement to the 7D.

Quoting trvyyz (Reply 21):
If IQ is the main object D810 should be worth considering.

I do consider that. But with over €3000 here plus new lenses, that would be too much money to spend.

wilco737

EGCC777LR

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:09 am

Easy Phil  

D750 + 80-400mm VRII for 90% of your shots

&

14-24mm for your flight deck shots

and if you are feeling flush

28-300mm as your take everywhere lens

And remember....the pay at LH must be OK   Don't worry about the money, you only live once  

Regards
Jason

PS A bit like if its not Boeing I ain't going.... I am proudly Nikon For Life #IAMNIKON

wilco737
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Quoting EGCC777LR (Reply 23):
D750 + 80-400mm VRII for 90% of your shots

Well, I am buying this camera not for aviation pictures only.

14-24mm for your flight deck shots

You keep rejecting them    
28-300mm as your take everywhere lens

Good range of zoom indeed.

And remember....the pay at LH must be OK   Don't worry about the money, you only live once  

I know what LH pays me, I could afford it, but the question is: do I want to spend €4000+ on a new camera plus lenses instead of only a camera where I have a good variety of lenses already  

wilco737

jrowson

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:11 pm

Is the 6D any good? I am not too sure with it to be honest. I was happy with the 7D and not sure if the 6D is an improvement to the 7D.

The 6D is different in that it's a full frame camera, and esentially an updated 5Dmk2. The IQ from my initial shots has blown me away (way better than the 7D) and shouldn't be far off what the 5D3 will produce. What it does lack vs the 7D and the 5D3 are the autofocus systems, having a much simpler varient but for me when I'm out shooting Jumbo Jets it wont be too much of an issue.

[Edited 2014-10-01 06:13:02]

seahawk

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:47 am

FF has advantages and disadvantages. I use a D800 for year now and I love the colours, the dynamic range, the well controlled noise and the resolution but it comes at a price in lenses and weight. I did shoot a DX camera with 80-200 or 70-300 but both lenses turned out pretty short on FX, so the need for a AF-S 80-400VR was noted and one was bought. Then I had a older Sigma 15-30 for wide angle use. It worked great on DX, on FX the corners were totally soft and nearly blurry, so another new lens was needed. So in the end we talk about a lot of money for results that are under good conditions and resized for web use by far not that much better than a modern APS-C camera.

If I would want to get a Nikon FX, I would try to get one of the last D800s, sure the D810 is better but 50% more expensive.

For me the Canon 7dII looks like the most tempting spotting camera at the moment. If I would not have invested so much in the Nikon system lately, I would switch to Canon for it.

len90

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:12 pm

I have a 6D and absolutely love it. I actually played around with a 7D for a few months before getting my 6D. I've had mine for 18 months now and really have not had anything bad to say about it. There are many improvements in the 6D that I found over the 7D besides the obvious full frame vs crop. It does have a better processor so you are not lagging at times (had that with the 7D). The 6D has way better ISO handling than the 7D. I personally was getting WAY too much noise at ISO 100. The 6D also offers more selections for ISO than the 7D. The 6D uses SD cars while the 7D uses compact flash. The few things others don't like about the 6D, which have not affected me, is that there is only one card slot on the 6D when people felt there should have been 2, only has 11 autofocus points, and the viewfinder is 97% coverage. The one downside for spotting is you will have some more issues with vignetting on your telephoto lenses than you normally do on the crop sensor. Overall, I am still really happy with my 6D and thoroughly enjoy it everyday I use it.

Canon vs Nikon: Since you really have so much money invested in Canon you really should just stick it out with Canon as you spare yourself the hassle of buying all new lenses and having to learn how to do everything "backwards". I personally have found Canon's easier to work, but that probably is my bias in that I learned on a Canon. I was at this point when I was looking to upgrade to full frame. The money and time I invested in Canon made that choice easy for me.

If you are not wanting a full frame, have you thought about waiting out on the 7D mark ii? That looks like it will be really nice, but also makes the cost difference between a crop and full frame very minor.

Silver1SWA

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:49 pm

I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread but I just wanted to offer my two cents...

I'm a Canon shooter who shoots a lot more than just aviation photography. I've come to the conclusion that my days with Canon are numbered. I'm incredibly frustrated that they aren't making any progress with their sensors and I'm at a point where I'm ready to upgrade my equipment and Canon isn't showing me anything worth consideration. Nikon has taken the lead in terms of sensors and while Nikon continues to release new full frame cameras, Canon seems asleep at the wheel. I'm seriously looking into selling off my 5D2, 7D and all of my lenses and doing a full switch for a D610 or D750.

My needs exceed those interested only in spotting/aviation photography, but you said you're interested in other types of photography so if that includes landscapes and low-light stuff, Nikon is the clear winner right now with their superb noise handling and dynamic range.

NicolasRubio

Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:51 am

An external Canon flash unit for the 5D III that is comparable to the built-in one in the D800 is less than U$D 100 if I am not mistaken... and they are both useless!

seahawk

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:04 am

I think the integrated flash of the D800 is not useless. It works okay as a fill flash but most importantly it works as a commander for the i-ttl flash system and off camera flash.