Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Psych
Topic Author

Photo From Ground Vs Photo From Air

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:03 pm

I was pleased that the screeners accepted one of my queued photos of the superb Red Arrows, taken from a recent air show at Southport:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Markman

One of the reasons this photo was particularly significant to me was that I came across the following photo whilst my image was queued, taken from the cockpit of Red 8, during the very same display (posted on the Reds' Twitter feed @rafredarrows):

Red 8 - From Red Arrows Twitter feed

Close scrutiny of the two images together shows that these two photos must have been taken within a fraction of a second of each other. In my photo, Red 8 is the aircraft on the right of the middle three (horizontally) in the formation. In the cockpit photo, I would have been on the beach just out of shot at the top right corner.

I recall threads where we have looked at different photographers taking a photo of the same aircraft at the same time, without knowing. I wondered if there were any other experiences colleagues have had of taking a photo of an aircraft at the same moment someone inside had been taking a photo looking out. I would be interested to see.

Cheers.

Paul

[Edited 2014-10-01 06:09:46]

airkas1

RE: Photo From Ground Vs Photo From Air

Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:27 pm

The first thing that came to mind was the story below:

I have one where you can see me and my camera in the window of a DC-4 in South Africa. When I got back home, after a while I saw a photo of our departure in the DB. I sent the photographer an E-mail asking if he had a photo in the same sequence in which I could be seen. He did happen to have one and he sent it to me, but I'm a bit hesitant to post it without his consent.

Actually, upon looking at the photo again, in the #2 window you can see a fellew A.netter (and photographer), but I am blocked by the prop of engine #2. The third A.netter (we were well-represented.. haha) is blocked by engine #1.

This is the photo in the DB:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Shephard

And this is what I was doing (it's a video instead of a photo, so I hope that's ok too   )
http://youtu.be/eHdzWd6ddgg?list=UUImDAeiRBzoXcVlKqmWqh1w

vzlet

Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:45 pm

Similar to Kas' "mixed-media mode", the guy using my video camera is visible in my photo:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Carlisle

and I can be seen in the right window in this (blurry 1994 vintage!) frame grab from that footage:

The full video (combining footage from several flights) is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iglSZupoYxE
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

sovietjet

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Mark (vzlet), that's pretty cool!! I've clicked on that photo several times over the years and have always wondered if the video footage was out there. Thanks for the link!

On an off topic note I have always been curious after looking at yours and others photos from that era and that region (early 90s, eastern Europe especially Poland, Czech, Hungary). How the hell did westerners arrange such visits and flights with the former eastern bloc militaries literally almost right after the fall of the Iron Curtain?? I always thought the mentality of the brass in all of those air forces would still be very much the way it was in Communist times, aka no photos...

NPeterman

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:11 pm

I can not confirm this with 100% certainty, but when I took this first photo of ZK-OKQ at SYD earlier this year there was a helicopter hovering near the old control tower, and Sam's photo beat mine into the DB (because I was a lazy uploader   ) but I assume he was the one on that helo.

My shot

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nicholas Peterman

The A2A Version

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

walter2222

Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Quoting Psych (Thread starter):
In the cockpit photo, I would have been on the beach just out of shot at the top right corner.

Hi Paul,

I was on the same beach, but unfortunately also not in the picture (I was very close to the Pier).

Your shot and the one from Red 8 are both beautiful shots!

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

vzlet

Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:48 am

Ivan,
With only a very few exceptions, everyone I dealt with in the Czech Republic was very open and photography was not an issue. Much easier, in fact, than on bases in the U.S., where it often seems like media credentials are required. My earliest Mi-24 pictures here were from a visit in 1993 when I asked at the gate to a base if I could take pictures. I had to talk to a succession of people ending in a regimental commander, but he OK'ed it, and I was able to go out on the flight line. I suspect that it's not so easy today!

-Mark
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid