Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheSsalty
Topic Author

Budget Telephoto Lens.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:19 pm

I'm looking into buying a telephoto lens but, given my age I don't want to be spending a fortune. Yesterday I borrowed an EF70-300MM lens and I really liked that so something like that would be good. Thanks for the help!

NZ107

RE: Budget Telephoto Lens.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:55 am

Quoting TheSsalty (Thread starter):

Well there's cheap, there's mid range (70-300 is there) and then there's the L series professional. If you're super desperate, find a cheap one (55-250mm is an example) or save up/get a job if you don't have one already.

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:23 pm

What focal length range do you need? That's obviously important in figuring out what lens you need.

ckw

Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:46 pm

Well I (vaguely) remember being your age and trying to buy lenses on a budget. Every one was a mistake and ended up being a waste of money. My advice would be avoid cheap lenses - they only lead to frustration, and either wait till you can afford what you want, or look into second hand lenses.

Cheers,

Colin

vikkyvik

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:51 am

Quoting ckw (Reply 3):
Every one was a mistake and ended up being a waste of money.

I've spent about 700 ultimately useless dollars on lenses.

Instead of a new EF 70-300 IS USM, I would look at a used 70-200 F4 L. Although it doesn't have IS, and the range is shorter, the quality is much better. And I never used the EF 70-300 IS USM past 250mm anyway, as it got much too soft to be usable. So I only lost about 50mm, but that's more than made up for by being able to crop in more, due to the 70-200's better image quality.

len90

Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:13 pm

I would agree with Vik. You can probably pick up a used 70-200 for relatively cheap. Then if you need to you, you can try adding on the 1.4x extender to get it up to 280. It will spread your investment out over time and give you a higher quality lens.

topgun3

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:13 am

I can't agree more....don't waste money on cheap lenses. You will end up spending more money down the road anyways. Been there, done that!

Learn from our mistakes.

seahawk

Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:34 am

That entirely depends on your needs. I have a cheap 55-300 zoom, sure it not my main spotting lens, but it still is used on holidays and for hiking.

The first think you need to know how much reach you need. Most spots at SYD seem to need between 100-250mm on a APS-C camera.

Next thing to consider is what lenses you own.

And as Sydney has many sunny days you could probably get away with using a cheaper lens, as you would rarely need to shoot wide open.

So if you have no lens: a Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270 should be great to get into photography in general and should give okayish results. (getting them into the db at a-net might be hard, but there are other databases which should work)

If you already has a wide / standard zoom adding a 70-300 type lens seems the obvious solution. Which would be best, I will leave to the Canon users.

chris78cpr

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:39 am

If you can find a second hand lens you can generally buy it and use it for a short while and it will hold a good amount of it's value. It's a good way to try lenses to see if they meet your requirements for a small net loss overall. Buying new will always lead to losing more money but if it's something your sure you will use for a long time then it's worthwhile.