29erUSA187
Topic Author

Nighttime Photography

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:58 pm

Hello all, As winter approaches, those of us at SAN must realize, our beloved BA 777 will begin to only arrive undercover of darkness. Many interesting NFL Charters (763, 764) tend to come in late too. Using a tripod, I have been able to capture some slow moving or standing still Tarmac option. I was wondering, what would be the best shutter speed for shooting a landing plane in the dark? (Ie. Enough exposure to make the A/C visible, but enough that the shot is not blurry)

ptrjong

RE: Nighttime Photography

Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Depends on how good you are.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alexander Karmazin

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

monsoon84

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:23 am

[quote=ptrjong,reply=1]
Depends on how good you are.

Really, how is that insightful?

Regards,
Kenneth A.

dendrobatid

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:52 am

Kenneth
Perhaps not very insightful but to be fair to Peter, the question seemed rather fanciful too.

I have just looked at 29er's age and realise now why he was asking the question, he is young and learning! Perhaps a silly question from someone more experienced but certainly not from a youngster !

29erUSA187, the simple answer is that you can't photograph landing shots once it is dark as runways tend to be distant and lit for the pilots to see, not for the aircraft to be seen. It is far easier to put the camera away and wait until next Spring but it sounds to me as though you are doing the right thing getting them taxying and using a tripod.

29erUSA187.....keep at it

Mick Bajcar

ptrjong

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:58 pm

My point was that the shutter speed you can get away with is really rather personal. The max ISO you can get away with depends on your camera, the minimum f number on the quality of your lens and on the situation - side-on shots are easier.

The bottom line is that night action shots are very difficult and that those you see on a.net represent a low success rate, whereas the same photographers can achieve a 95% success rate in good light.

And then these BA 777s are 100 times in the databse already, which makes them more difficult subjects to get acepted here... I say, maybe the winter is a good time to appreciate that aviation is not only about widebodies.

Peter 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

notaxonrotax

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:50 am

Quoting ptrjong (Reply 4):
I say, maybe the winter is a good time to appreciate that aviation is not only about widebodies.

I couldn't agree more!

I much rather see a smaller aircraft, new in database; than the umpteenth shot of the same 777 or A340.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

dendrobatid

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:56 am

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 5):
I much rather see a smaller aircraft, new in database; than the umpteenth shot of the same 777 or A340.

And of course, I totally agree !

Another thing is that I started this hobby in 1967 and in all those years when visiting the big airports, not once has anyone stopped and asked me if I wanted a flight with them, but it happens all the time at light airfields. Importantly, I have friends, people I know at lots of the GA fields. I know that Peter is the same and suspect that Notax is too

29erUSA187...

Try Google Earth and find the GA fields around you that are probably a vast, largely untapped resource of aircraft to photograph, to practice your panning and low shutter speeds. Trying to get a full prop disc on a moving aircraft is a great skill training exercise.

Mick Bajcar

notaxonrotax

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:20 am

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 6):
I know that Peter is the same and suspect that Notax is too

Guilty as charged!

I started this hobby in 1967 and in all those years when visiting the big airports, not once has anyone stopped and asked me if I wanted a flight with them, but it happens all the time at light airfields. Importantly, I have friends, people I know at lots of the GA fields

Correct! I have the same experience!
The other day I found myself puking in the back of a crop duster that I didn't even know I'd be flying 15 minutes before......first time I have seen a yellow Nikon, by the way!
Point is: that wouldn't happen at JFK, LHR or ATL.

Try Google Earth and find the GA fields around you that are probably a vast, largely untapped resource of aircraft to photograph, to practice your panning and low shutter speeds.

Try out the local airfields indeed.....usually very interesting! Interesting planes, interesting people......and interesting photo-ops!

Cheers,

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

ghajdufi
Crew

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:52 pm

This one caught my eye today. Not bad imo...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Wood

Your photos are like your children, you will always find them perfect.

marosbts

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:19 am

Well, I would say that if you want to have any chance at night, you really need to put also a lot of money in the equipment.

I have tried some shots myself at night, with an APS-C camera on a tripod, with a 70-200 f2,8 lens and at higher ISO. And its still not good enough.

So, what would help? I guess skills, but even that sometimes is not enough. Technology can help for sure, but that means lots of $$$. You could increase your chance by getting one of those full frame cameras which are dubbed the lords of darkness. The Sony A7s seems to be the best choice right now. Pair it with some crazy fast prime with f1.2 or 1.4. Then pump up the ISO high and postprocess using DXo Prime and you might get something that will be awesome. But is it worth it? Most likely not.

kulverstukas

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:40 am

One of the best photographer I know is 18yr old, shoots with Sony SLT35 and some cheap zoom. Good photo is a mix of practice (10 000 hrs rule   ), place, time and only then equipment.

notaxonrotax

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:50 am

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 10):

One of the best photographer I know is 18yr old, shoots with Sony SLT35 and some cheap zoom. Good photo is a mix of practice (10 000 hrs rule   ), place, time and only then equipment.

Could you show us some examples please?
Just curious.....

No Tax On Rotax

kulverstukas

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:04 am

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 11):
Could you show us

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Polyakov

At RP.

[Edited 2014-10-16 01:08:52]