What next, the second coming of Christ?

Cheers
Angad

unattendedbag

RE: At Long Last ...

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Quoting ckw (Thread starter):
http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/11/f...e-ef-100-400-f4-5-5-6l-is-ii-lens/

No more dust pump? Way to make a good decision and stick with it, Canon!  
Slower traffic, keep right

FighterPilot

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Looks pretty cool. Hopefully they announce it soon. I probably won't be buying it right away as I've gotta save for a 7D Mk II first.   

Cal  airplane 

[Edited 2014-11-06 10:14:15]
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

FighterPilot

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:55 pm

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/ind...opic=23603.msg460861;topicseen#new

From Canon Rumors:
Price: $2199 USD

Release Date: November 11, 2014

Ship Date: Unknown

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 100-400mm 1:4.5-5.6

Lens Construction: 21 elements in 16 groups

Diagonal Angle of View: 24º-6’10’

Focus Adjustment: Inner focus system / USM

Closest Focusing Distance: 3.2 ft. / 0.98m

Filter Size: 77mm

Max Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.7 in. x 7.6 in. / 94mm x 193mm; 3.46 lbs. / 1,570g

Overview

The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM telephoto lens delivers a superb combination of cutting-edge performance, compact construction and brilliant resolving power that’s great for sports and wildlife photography.

The telephoto lens features one fluorite and one super UD element to help provide impressive contrast and resolution with reduced chromatic aberration across the entire zoom range. Canon’s new Air Sphere Coating (ASC) helps significantly reduce backlit flaring and ghosting, while fluorine coatings on the front and rear lens surfaces help lessen smears and fingerprints.A 9-blade circular aperture renders beautiful, soft backgrounds, and a 3 mode (standard, panning and exposure only) Optical Image Stabilizer provides up to 4 steps* of image correction.

The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM telephoto lens is equipped with a new inner focusing AF system to help ensure fast and accurate focus down to 3.2 ft. with a .31x maximum magnification. Usability enhancements include a rotation-type zoom ring with adjustable zoom torque for more precise, customizable zoom performance, a redesigned tripod mount that can be attached and detached without removing the lens from the EOS camera, and an all-new lens hood with a side window that makes it simple to adjust specialty filters-like polarizers-without the need to remove the hood.

Ruggedly constructed with advanced dust and water sealing for durability in a range of environments, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM telephoto lens is a stellar performer with refined controls for a wide variety of situations.

The day has finally come!   

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

vikkyvik

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 4):
exposure only

Does that mean the IS only activates when you actually press the shutter? If so, what exactly is the point of that?

Thanks.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ckw
Topic Author

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 5):
Does that mean the IS only activates when you actually press the shutter? If so, what exactly is the point of that?

Yes, I've been wondering about that as it is a option on my EM-1 - can't figure out when or why I'd need it.

I suppose it would save battery life a little rather than have it running continuously.

Perhaps it is something you'd want if you were shooting video and stills with a camera that supported this ... you can shoot the video without IS (for whatever reason), but IS would be applied when you shoot a still during the video.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

NZ107

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:57 pm

Waiting for a side-by-side comparison.. It is promising but we'll have to wait to find out. It has a similar build to the 70-300L so hopefully it doesn't take on the same quality of that lens..

I still lament the end of the push-pull - I love it. But if the optics are going to be that much better than the Mk I, I don't think I have a choice but to sell it  

If only one could simply strip the IS from the Mk I and insert the Mk II IS system!
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

vikkyvik

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:04 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 7):
It has a similar build to the 70-300L so hopefully it doesn't take on the same quality of that lens..

Interesting - I haven't used it myself, but I've generally heard very good things about the 70-300L (aside from its price).

Quoting ckw (Reply 6):
I suppose it would save battery life a little rather than have it running continuously.

I suppose. Seems like a pretty minor thing, though.

Just seems like a very strange option.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

IL76

Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Haven't we all been waiting long for this?   I wonder how much the image quality has improved over the old one.
But while waiting, my attention is now drawn towards Sigma... That new 150-600 looks sweet, but I haven't seen any real life photo examples with it yet. Or the 120-300 2.8.
(in other words, I'd like to go to 600mm without have to spend an arm or a leg...)

e

notaxonrotax

Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 4):
Price: $2199 USD

A tad cheaper than my Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR ED.
Nice!

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

andrew50

Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 7):
It has a similar build to the 70-300L so hopefully it doesn't take on the same quality of that lens..

I have the 70-300L IS and the quality is excellent, even at 300mm. I shoot with it probably 95% of the time. I have the 100-400 but I never really use it much anymore, except for night shooting, where I might need the extra distance. Curious, do you own a 70-300L? I have had my 100-400 since 2005 and have always been happy with it, image quality is excellent. I have to admit the twist zoom is nice, like on the 70-300, but at that price I won't be taking the plunge!

Andrew

planespot

Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:51 am

And it's here. For those of us in the US, the big retailers have pre-order pages up. I've already placed my order to get in line.

Amazon.com
Adorama
B&H
Cary Liao - AeroPX
@aeropxdotcom on Instagram

scbriml

Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:24 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 5):

That's how proper IS (or vibration reduction as us professionals call it) should work - when you half-depress the shutter release to focus. That's how Nikon's always done it.     

Seriously, why would you want IS/VR running all the time and not just when you actually need it at focus time? For example, if I'm shooting planes on approach or departure I'm shooting in Continuous focus mode - as long as I keep the shutter release half-depressed the camera will keep the plane in focus. All the time that's happening, VR is running. As soon as I take my finger off the shutter release, VR turns off a couple of seconds later.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

NZ107

Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:57 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 13):
Seriously, why would you want IS/VR running all the time and not just when you actually need it at focus time?

That's what IS Mode 2 does on Canons.

Quoting andrew50 (Reply 11):

No, just got a few friends with them and they weren't very happy with it.. I jumped from the 70-300 IS USM to the 100-400. I also prefer the push-pull on the 100-400, which I'll miss...
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

vikkyvik

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:12 am

That's how proper IS (or vibration reduction as us professionals call it) should work - when you half-depress the shutter release to focus. That's how Nikon's always done it.
Quoting NZ107 (Reply 14):
Seriously, why would you want IS/VR running all the time and not just when you actually need it at focus time?

That's what IS Mode 2 does on Canons.

That's what both mode 1 and mode 2 do on Canons. IS doesn't click on until you half-depress the shutter to focus.

That's nothing new. This new "exposure-only" mode 3 seems to be only when you FULLY depress the shutter. At least that's what I assume.

ckw
Topic Author

Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:27 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 15):
That's what both mode 1 and mode 2 do on Canons. IS doesn't click on until you half-depress the shutter to focus.

That's nothing new. This new "exposure-only" mode 3 seems to be only when you FULLY depress the shutter. At least that's what I assume.

Agreed - I'm not aware of any DSLR where the IS is 'always on' . But I've found this about mode 3:

"Optical Image Stabilizer Mode 3 enhances Optical Image Stabilizer Mode 2 by functioning only when the shutter release is fully pressed. By remaining inactive until exposure, Mode 3 stabilization control allows for easy panning."

Now that begins to make a bit of sense ... I've certainly noticed (particularly on the old 100-400, which was a very early IS implementation) occasional 'jerkiness' when viewing the image in the viewfinder while panning - esp. if panning quickly ... it looks as if you're overloading the IS system and it's struggling to keep up.

Also, I do remember when I first started shooting with IS lenses at sea, it made me feel a little queasy - the image in the viewfinder was stable, but my body could feel the motion of the boat. I got over that pretty quick, but I have a colleague who couldn't shoot at all using IS at sea. I guess mode 3 would overcome this.

Of course the image is going to be jumping about in the viewfinder a bit, esp. at the long end and may be best for use with a monopod for aviation.

So its another option that may suit some people more than others. It will be interesting to see if mode 3 is able to offer the same level of stablisation as 1 and 2.

Cheers.

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

vikkyvik

Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Quoting ckw (Reply 16):
"Optical Image Stabilizer Mode 3 enhances Optical Image Stabilizer Mode 2 by functioning only when the shutter release is fully pressed. By remaining inactive until exposure, Mode 3 stabilization control allows for easy panning."

Hmmm, interesting.

Quoting ckw (Reply 16):
Now that begins to make a bit of sense ... I've certainly noticed (particularly on the old 100-400, which was a very early IS implementation) occasional 'jerkiness' when viewing the image in the viewfinder while panning - esp. if panning quickly ... it looks as if you're overloading the IS system and it's struggling to keep up.

Yes, I have noticed the same with my 300 F4 IS. I actually might like Mode 3 for specific use during panning.

I was thinking about non-panning shots. There are some cases where I can barely fit the airplane in the frame, and having the IS on while focusing is very useful then, for ensuring I don't clip parts of the aircraft. While panning, though, that's not such a big deal.

Chukcha

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 14):
No, just got a few friends with them and they weren't very happy with it.. I jumped from the 70-300 IS USM to the 100-400. I also prefer the push-pull on the 100-400, which I'll miss...

I also have a 70-700L IS and I am very happy with it. Sharp throughout the range, unlike the 100-400 I used to have that was useful only up to around 300 anyway.

I am not going to miss the push-pull. Never liked the lock on it. It was awkward to undo when immedidte action was required... It they have significantly improved the performance at the 400 end, I would love to have that lens.

Dehowie

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:07 am

The only disappointing bit of this lens is the move away from push pull.
The biggest advantage was when zooming at long lengths your hand was always in the correct position to support the lens.
Twisting moves your hand out of the correct support position making low shutter speed work more difficult especially with a weight increase.
You could rapidly go from 100 to 400 without adjusting your grip a massive massive advantage over twist where depending on the throw you may not even be able to do it at all.
I will still pick one up but think it is a major design mistake.
The reason the 100-400 was considered a dust pump was it could be zoomed so quickly something you will never be able to do with the new design due to the grip problem of your left hand unless you are a double jointed contortionist!
The MTF's look brilliant and based off Canon's last 10 ears no one will be disappointed with the replacement of the most popular aviation lens ever.
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L

angad84

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:55 am

Quoting dehowie (Reply 19):
The only disappointing bit of this lens is the move away from push pull.

I (mostly) agree.

The push/pull was great for handholding, as you say, and I never had dust problems with the lens.

Also, I use a 70-200 f4L IS a LOT and twisting to zoom doesn't often affect me. It's only the unsupported lens extension I'm worried about. The old 100-400 was about the same length as (and a fair bit heavier than) the 400 f/5.6L lens. I'm no engineer but the old 100-400L felt like a 400mm lens adapted to zoom out to 100mm, with IS tacked on, it was nearly identical in length to the 400mm f/5.6 when pulled out to 400mm. The release dates of the two lenses support this theory, but I digress.

If the new 100-400L has similar dimensions at the tele end, and one is stuck having to support it only near the mount, it will be a step backward from a usability point of view. And before anyone says use the foot on the tripod ring - that works for primes because there's no zooming involved. If you are supporting the lens with the foot, zooming on the fly becomes an issue.

Nitpicky, I know, but I think we can be allowed that when we're discussing a hotly-anticipated lens retailing for upwards of two grand.

On a somewhat related note, I was pleasantly surprised to hear from my local Canon store in Delhi that retail pricing for the 7D MkII is almost the same as the (pre-tax) sticker price in the USA. Fingers crossed that the lens hits market here the same way.

Cheers
Angad

Chukcha

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:57 am

I like that "adjustable zoom torque" bit. Looks like a useful feature.
Maybe it will zoom just as quick as the push-pull. Zooming speed has never been a issue for me on the 70-300. Would be interesting to get my hands on one before buying.

[Edited 2014-11-12 00:30:14]

scbriml

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:33 pm

Quoting angad84 (Reply 20):
And before anyone says use the foot on the tripod ring - that works for primes because there's no zooming involved. If you are supporting the lens with the foot, zooming on the fly becomes an issue.

But that's exactly how I use my Nikkor 200-400 and it's a much bigger and heavier lens than the Canon.

I rest the foot in my palm and hold it with three fingers while using my thumb and index finger to zoom as required. I've never had a problem with it.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

angad84

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 22):
I rest the foot in my palm and hold it with three fingers while using my thumb and index finger to zoom as required. I've never had a problem with it.

different folks, different strokes. I've personally never been comfortable with that grip.

Cheers
Angad

ckw
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:46 pm

One thing that's often forgotten with the push/pull - its really the only way to use a zoom effectively with manual focus.

I can remember when nearly ALL zooms were push pull.

Manual focus is making a come back with EVF cameras since aids like focus peaking and image magnification make mf easier, and in some cases, more reliable. When the old still 100-400s flood the used market as they inevitably will, I'll probably get one for m4/3 offering a 200-800 FOV.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Silver1SWA

Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:28 am

I expect to finally see great things from Canon because no sooner do I begin selling off my gear for a switch to Nikon, this lens shows up. It would be my luck that as soon as I complete the switch Canon will release a new FF camera, so get ready.  
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ckw
Topic Author

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:57 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 25):
I expect to finally see great things from Canon because no sooner do I begin selling off my gear for a switch to Nikon, this lens shows up.

I know the feeling all to well ... this last week I have been thinking 'have I made a mistake?' But then yesterday I was out on a challenging yachting shoot - serious weather, lumpy seas, spray everywhere, and when I looked at the results, I was stunned ... 80% + keeper rate, and the images required very little adjustment in post (actually, most probably didn't need any, but I can't adjust my mind to the fact that sometimes the camera can get it just right).

Bottom line - there will always be something better out there if you concentrate on the DxO figures (or benchmark of your choice), but pretty much any current digital camera (excluding toy cameras) is capable of producing professional (ie. commercially publishable) quality.

What is much more important now is finding a camera/lens that fits well with your style of work, feels 'right' and just gets the job done. When you're out shooting, ideally you don't want to think about the camera at all - it should just be intuitive.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Silver1SWA

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:20 pm

Quoting ckw (Reply 26):
What is much more important now is finding a camera/lens that fits well with your style of work, feels 'right' and just gets the job done. When you're out shooting, ideally you don't want to think about the camera at all - it should just be intuitive.

Oh absolutely. I have never chased the very best camera available. Reality is my 5D Mark II is no longer getting the job done because it can't keep up with the direction my photography. Problem with Canon is, theres nowhere to go at this time (full frame) that I feel would be worth the investment. Regardless of what happens in the future with Canon, at this time Nikon offers a camera that better suits my needs.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

planespot

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:41 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 27):
Oh absolutely. I have never chased the very best camera available. Reality is my 5D Mark II is no longer getting the job done because it can't keep up with the direction my photography. Problem with Canon is, theres nowhere to go at this time (full frame) that I feel would be worth the investment. Regardless of what happens in the future with Canon, at this time Nikon offers a camera that better suits my needs.

What didn't you like about the 5D Mark III? And thanks for selling off your Canon gear and thus getting them to finally release a 100-400 Mark II :P
Cary Liao - AeroPX

Silver1SWA

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:52 pm

Quoting planespot (Reply 28):

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 27):

What didn't you like about the 5D Mark III?

Well it's the 5D Mark II that I'm in the process of selling, and I couldn't justify "upgrading" spending $3400 on the 2.5 year-old 5D Mark III when Nikon has multiple newer FF options at an equal price or lower with better sensor technology. Again, all of this based on an evaluation of my needs which extend beyond photographing airplanes. For that my 40D could still get the job done.  

Anyway sorry for derailing the discussion. I was just making a joke about my kind of luck.

planespot

Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:37 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 29):
Well it's the 5D Mark II that I'm in the process of selling, and I couldn't justify "upgrading" spending $3400 on the 2.5 year-old 5D Mark III when Nikon has multiple newer FF options at an equal price or lower with better sensor technology. Again, all of this based on an evaluation of my needs which extend beyond photographing airplanes. For that my 40D could still get the job done.

Anyway sorry for derailing the discussion. I was just making a joke about my kind of luck.

Yes, I intended to ask "why wasn't the 5Dm3 an option?", but you answered it anyway   I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago, and the Nikon sensors looked great on paper, but from what I've seen, the 5Dm3 resolves detail better than say the D800. In the end, I think the D800 and 5Dm3 are neck and neck in terms of their sensors, even though the D800 has a higher MP count. And yup, I always have that kind of luck...and terrible timing most of the time   I very nearly jumped ship back to Nikon, but I'm glad I stuck with Canon (although you can't go wrong with either system).
Cary Liao - AeroPX

ckw
Topic Author

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:56 am

Quoting planespot (Reply 30):
In the end, I think the D800 and 5Dm3 are neck and neck in terms of their sensors, even though the D800 has a higher MP count.

I think where Canon has fallen behind is in the dynamic range and in particular the ability to work with shadow detail. With the 5D3 as soon as you try to pull any detail from the shadows, noise becomes a problem ... and pretty ugly noise as well! With other manufacturers, the latitude you have in the shadows is much better - the D800 is particularly strong in this respect.

In good light, with proper exposure, the 5D3 produces stunning images. But when things get tricky, Canon sensors are no longer competitive IMHO.

Having said that, Canon are probably still king of very high ISO, but I suspect this has more to do with software than sensor.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Chukcha

Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:51 am

Tried to find a picture of this new lens fully extended, but so far no luck.

angad84

Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:05 am

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 32):
Tried to find a picture of this new lens fully extended, but so far no luck.

CPN photographer Danny Green using the lens:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/danny_green_on_ef100_400mm_f45_56l_is_ii_usm_zoom/caption_018.jpg

It may not be *fully* extended in this image but you do get an idea of how it looks. That's a 1DX he's using.

Full article here: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...00_400mm_f45_56l_is_ii_usm_zoom.do

Cheers
Angad

Chukcha

Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks, Angad. I had spent half an hour looking for one, to no avail.

ckw
Topic Author

Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Hmm - nothing against the lens, but the way he's holding it looks seriously awkward. I like the explanation

This is excellent because I can zoom in or out simply by moving my thumb and forefinger, keeping my arm still and so reducing the risk of disturbing the subject.

OK, but doesn't the fact that the lens will be waving all over the place if held as illustrated kind of defeat the purpose?

Actually the picture is (fortunately) misleading as the zoom ring is the outer one, not the one being held in the pic, so provided the extended section of the lens isn't too heavy, it should balance just fine.

But the choice of shot to go with the text does rather suggest that the Canon marketing people don't do a lot of photography.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

angad84

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:52 am

Quoting ckw (Reply 35):
But the choice of shot to go with the text does rather suggest that the Canon marketing people don't do a lot of photography.

This particular shot probably isn't intended to go with that particular quote — just a pic of the lens in use.

Cheers
Angad