gabik001
Topic Author

Database Problems?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:46 am

Hello everyone!
Maybe some of you noticed missing pictures. I lost all my pictures in queue and last accepted picture already in database. I do not know what happened but I hope it can be recovered. Any thoughts?
Gabe

[Edited 2014-11-06 17:47:15]
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

akirauekawa

RE: Database Problems?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:43 am

Hi,

I've seen the problem too, and it seems like the photos uploaded until Nov.3rd have no problem, and ones uploaded since Nov.4th have lost their thumbnails.

In my upload queue the same problem happened. Thumbnails uploaded until Nov.3rd looked OK, but all two photos uploaded on Nov.4th have lost their thumbnails. They don't have any problem in "medium" and "large" sizes so far.

And the status of the front page ( Top 5 of 24 hours ) went back to a few days ago...?

Regards,
Akira Uekawa

[Edited 2014-11-06 19:53:11]
AkiraUekawa

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:06 am

Hi All,

There was some maintenance done and as a result some images still need to re-index which is taking longer than the developers expected. It appears to be images from the 4th on that are affected and we're not screening until all is back to normal. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks and regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

Bruce

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:36 am

Yep, I've got the same problem. A photo that was added to the db on the 5th, and photos in the queue that have upload times of 9/3 to 9/5. Glad to hear you're aware.  

Bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

JKPhotos
Screener

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:28 am

Both my shots from the 5th and the 6th are affected and are not visible in neither site.

It is rather dissapointing for me, finally I have a shot on frontpage (which certainly does not happen very often for me) and it is not even visible, first because the site is not accesible anymore and now the top 5 show some old pictures from 2 days a go.

Sorry it seems that with every maintenance done the "default image" bug is back.

JKPhotos
Screener

Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:34 am

Quoting JKPhotos (Reply 4):
It is rather dissapointing for me, finally I have a shot on frontpage (which certainly does not happen very often for me) and it is not even visible, first because the site is not accesible anymore and now the top 5 show some old pictures from 2 days a go.

Still it dropped out on time out of the top 5 after 24 hours. I do think that if there is some maintenance done and the site is not accesible for some hours the deadline should be prolonged.

Regards,
Julien

miamivice

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:43 am

Do you recommend to avoid new uploads? Or could we continue to upload photos?

Thank you.
Carlo

"Your task is not to foresee the future, but to enable it."

(Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

dendrobatid

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:35 pm

As I am sure you are all aware we have worked very hard to get the queue down and this is very frustrating to us as the queue is creeping up again and we cannot screen.
If you are willing to wait a bit before uploading it will help us immensely to get the queue down again once we are able to screen.

Thanks

Mick Bajcar

scbriml

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 7):
As I am sure you are all aware we have worked very hard to get the queue down and this is very frustrating to us as the queue is creeping up again and we cannot screen.
If you are willing to wait a bit before uploading it will help us immensely to get the queue down again once we are able to screen.

While it would be great if common sense prevailed, I see the queue is already climbing to wards 7,000. Is there no way to actually disable uploads with a message explaining why? I don't have any shots in the queue just now, but it would be a shame to see this great effort by the screeners wasted because of site issues beyond their control.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

alevik

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:47 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 8):
it would be a shame to see this great effort by the screeners wasted because of site issues beyond their control.

99.5% chance the effort was wasted. Unfortunately, I think sometimes our efforts enable lack of attention to issues - "the volunteers always seem to make it work out in the end" seems to be the sentiment. Also unfortunate they always do maintenance near the weekend, there is almost always problems related to the maintenance, and then we wait the weekend until they they can be sorted.

For now, we wait until we get word we can screen.

Pete
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

EZEIZA

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:00 pm

As I am sure you are all aware we have worked very hard to get the queue down and this is very frustrating to us as the queue is creeping up again and we cannot scree

Such a shame that all the hard work has gone to waste because of yet another maintenance issue. It was a delight to see pictures getting screened in 4-5 days! Thanks to the screeners for their effort, even if I sometimes disagree with a rejection.
And to demand media ... seriously, again with these issues?? come on!
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

trevisan26

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:47 pm

After so many problems, I think its time to develop the site again, for me the current design its awesome, but the system its having so many bugs and crashes that really affect the site, at database, forums, etc . I know develop a big site like Airliners.net again isn't something to do in 1 week, but nowadays its becoming necessary.

And again, thanks to the screeners for all the work done.

jid

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:22 pm

I really do sympathise with the screeners and moderators here. I have been a DBA and webdesigner in past lives and I have never experienced or seen such continued incompetence in a website's administration. It is always the poor volunteers that get the flack for the ineptitude of the 'paid' staff.

Please can the moderators of the forum pass on my feeling to DM as a long term contributor to the site.

Many thanks,

Jid
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 8):
but it would be a shame to see this great effort by the screeners wasted because of site issues beyond their control.

I was told it should be OK to upload, but not going to take a chance. Really sucks for the screeners. 
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

coninpa

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Quoting Jid (Reply 12):
I really do sympathise with the screeners and moderators here. I have been a DBA and webdesigner in past lives

Thank you Jid. Appreciated! Being myself responsible of a large team doing exactly the same job: hosting 1400+ Information Systems with Database, middleware and system administration, we would all be orbited (you see what I mean...) if we worked like that. All this seems unreal to me. But I am sure our passion will take over when the incident will be closed, as every time.

Patrick
Patrick De Coninck

len90

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:26 pm

That really is a bummer. It's a shame that it had to happen when everything was once again running so smooth. Let's just hope the green light to screen can be given before the end of the workday in California. Although this might be able to give me a chance to catch up in getting shots edited for the site when things resume 
Len90

notaxonrotax

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:40 pm

Shame, people!
Enjoy your (involuntarily) time off, screeners......as it will be nose to the grindstone after this.
Great effort these last couple of weeks, hope this does't mess it all up again!

It would be cool if they could renew the site, without touching the "classic" look.
Or at least have the option to keep the classic look and / or interface.
I think that is what we all want: reliability!

Good luck picking up the pieces!

Cheers,

No Tax On Rotax

P.S: Any way we can shoot a few D.M site members some abusive P.M's??
As a form of stress relief!!
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

gabik001
Topic Author

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:49 pm

Now I can sleep well  
I know how it works, how this job difficult is. I'm a screener on small aviation website so this is familiar to me when DB is not running good.
Good luck guys!
Gabe
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

unattendedbag

Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:47 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 2):
There was some maintenance done and as a result some images still need to re-index which is taking longer than the developers expected.

Please tell me Demand Media will be working through the weekend to fix this...
Slower traffic, keep right

len90

Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:24 am

Good news... Maybe?

I noticed a lot more images are showing up with their thumbnails properly. I also noticed all my upload queue shots are visible again in the thumbnail size. Hopefully a screening yellow or green light can be given!
Len90

angad84

Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:43 am

Quoting len90 (Reply 19):

Yep I just noticed that too. Good stuff.

I wonder when the home page will return to normal.

Cheers
Angad

dendrobatid

Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:08 am

Quoting unattendedbag (Reply 18):

It would not be wise to hold your breath

Quoting len90 (Reply 19):

Good news... Maybe?

I noticed a lot more images are showing up with their thumbnails properly. I also noticed all my upload queue shots are visible again in the thumbnail size. Hopefully a screening yellow or green light can be given!

It is now Friday evening in SoCal and we simply do not know, a deplorable situation.

I would like to thank everyone for their forebearance with these problems. It is good to see that a good many of you have acted on my requests to not upload and the queue remains manageable for when we are able to start screening again. We cannot be certain, but I have a strong feeling that this may not be until Monday, though I will be thrilled to be proved wrong. We have worked very hard, every Screener who was able, to get the queue down and we are now left feeling bitterly disappointed. It is good to know that you are all very clearly behind the team in this too.

Thank you all

Mick Bajcar

unattendedbag

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:22 am

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 21):
It is good to know that you are all very clearly behind the team in this too.

We are firmly behind you and the others who relay information from DM to the masses.

It would go a long way if one of the DM managers made some sort of statement regarding the state of this website. It's been YEARS and this site can't function properly for more than a month without some form of downtime or code glitch. An ongoing bug thread that is the second most active on the site with more than 2,000 replys and counting.

Is this website the right fit for Demand Media? Is there any hope for this pile of a website?
Slower traffic, keep right

vikkyvik

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:37 am

Quoting unattendedbag (Reply 18):

That reminds me of a couple lines from "Old School":

"Be honest. Tell me this was the first time."
"Well, do you want me to be honest, or want me to tell you this was the first time?"

It is now Friday evening in SoCal and we simply do not know, a deplorable situation.

Deplorable indeed. 

It's worse because this is the umpteenth time this has happened.

It is good to know that you are all very clearly behind the team in this too.

You guys are volunteers, and you don't run and maintain the website. There's absolutely no reason to hold the screeners accountable. It's been said many times already, but that was a hell of an effort to get the queue down.

Quoting unattendedbag (Reply 22):
Is this website the right fit for Demand Media?

I don't think there's much question about the answer to that.   
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

dendrobatid

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:40 am

Unattendedbag

Bear in mind that I am a Headscreener yet even even I have never had a single word from anyone at DM for years, not since Paulo's tragic loss anyway.

Believe it or not I do not even have an e-mail address for anyone at DM if I wanted to contact them. I have the utmost admiration for Paul McCarthy through whom every message has to be channelled with no consideration of time-zones or the fact that he should be asleep. I am not sure how he keeps going.

The Crew are superb, to a man, and we have worked well, we have endured the problems, tolerated them and managed to screen through them. A few weeks ago the site became pretty stable and we Screened a lot, we actually began to enjoy it again and pulled together wonderfully as a team. Once we started to enjoy it again rather than simply enduring it you reaped the rewards with a four day, 5000 ish queue with uploads rocketing and people who had not uploaded for ages returning. That was surely good for the site ?

And now........
Dejected!

Mick Bajcar

Psych

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:48 am

Well I am seeing things looking like they are back to normal - a sigh of relief is breathed. But I am sure many will be thinking .....'for how long?'

I want to join in my thanks to the crew for the sterling work they have been doing of late and also a specific mention to those who have voiced their thoughts here. For me this is a positive thing, and brings the photographer community together as one. As a photographer community we deserve better than what is happening. Let's hope somehow that can be provided. I do hope those of you behind the scenes get some thanks from DM for supporting them through such times as this.

Cheers.

Paul

vir380

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:00 am

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 24):
Once we started to enjoy it again rather than simply enduring it you reaped the rewards with a four day, 5000 ish queue with uploads rocketing and people who had not uploaded for ages returning. That was surely good for the site ?

Understand totally what you say Mick , its a very poor show when you are failed by others when trying your utmost to make things happen .

I feel the latest escapade will only make the returning up-loaders to once again withdraw back , one forward , 4 back ..

Shame really as this really once was the best most effective Aviation photo site on the internet.
This and other failures have put my decision to leave the screening team a while back well and truly permanent im sorry to say.

best wishes
Tony
:wave:

akirauekawa

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:46 am

I think we should think of two problems separately.

I personally think the suspending of screening is not a big deal and don't care how long it takes. (4-day queue was nice though) We know it is a volunteer work so I don't have any complaint about length of my queue, and thank the Screeners as always for their hard work and keeping us updated here.

But as for the ongoing thumbnail trouble, it is seriously big problem for this website. There is no doubt that Airliners.net is world-famous aviation website, which is viewed by aviation fans, photographers, and lots of professionals who need airplane photos.

The world of internet moves so fast. When one photo-featured website keeps unstable and doesn't show photo index for some days, people will leave it and go to the others. I really hope the company will soon get it back to normal, for the sake of not only us-A.net photographers, but also viewers from around the world.

Akira Uekawa

[Edited 2014-11-08 02:47:57]
AkiraUekawa

jderden777

Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:47 pm

I sincerely hope that DM is taking advantage of this down time to code in some more ads to the site. I don't think there's enough yet, and feel that it will really enhance the user experience.   

Also, and I am serious about this part, a big thanks to all the screeners for the monumental effort to get the queue down! It was strangely awesome seeing photos screened within a few days.

jd
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

Psych

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:37 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 25):
Well I am seeing things looking like they are back to normal - a sigh of relief is breathed.

I clearly spoke far too soon.

Such a sad state of affairs. If I were on the screening team I can't imagine being prepared to give of my precious free time without assurances that this familiar set of circumstances will soon be a thing of the past.

My thoughts go out to all the volunteers on the site.

Paul

alevik

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:14 pm

It appears that there are no developers working the site issues over the weekend. Screening is suspended as any images we add either do not add properly or other images turn from normal to default.

Likely won't see a fix until sometime Monday at the earliest based on current progress.

There is just no way to sugar coat this, sorry.

Pete
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

airkas1
Head Screener

Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:12 am

Quoting alevik (Reply 30):
Likely won't see a fix until sometime Monday at the earliest based on current progress.

Thanks for the update Pete!

Such a shame nothing is done in the weekend; one would expect that the developers would work until necessary to fix the most important aspect of this website, but it seems it was (again) too much to ask. Surely a company like Demand Media should be a little flexible in this, as the internet does not do 9-5 and only weekdays.

I (we?) know that you guys are not to blame, and not screening until everything is resolved makes perfect sense. Thanks for the hard work you (every volunteer!) put in all the time.

[Edited 2014-11-08 16:14:09]

hkg82

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:13 am

Thanks once again to the screeners and the rest of the Anet staff for the smooth screening and operations up until this problem now. What a shame, especially since, as mentioned previously, photographers who stopped uploading were coming back!

For those who know about software, would it be practical to re-code the entire site? It’s going to be a huge under-taking, but I think this may be only way to make the site stable again. I wonder if this is something Demand Media would consider doing.

I just can't believe we've never heard from anyone in DM when these problems, which are now happening on a frighteningly regular basis, occur.

It's just so sad to see this happening to the site, that arguably, started it all for aviation photography.

Hkg82.

[Edited 2014-11-08 23:17:31]

[Edited 2014-11-08 23:19:37]

[Edited 2014-11-08 23:21:37]

SFO2SVO

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Quoting airkas1 (Reply 31):
one would expect that the developers would work until necessary to fix the most important aspect of this website,

The most important aspect of the site is ad engine. Not really being cynical, can't blame DM for wanting some ROI.

Like Patrick, I am too running middleware/DB infrastructure and will not be doing it for much longer if I start ignoring problems between Friday 17:00 and Monday 9:00. The difference is in my (and I am sure coninpa's case) it is the application which makes money. In a.net case, it just draws ad consumers to the site.

Not a popular opinion here - but Paulo really did disservice by exercising his powers in DM and purchasing a.net as his personal toy. Now DM is stuck with site with heavy content (photos) and very niche audience. One can see their level of excitement by the fact that a.net is not mentioned anywhere on www.demandmedia.com

Not to finish on the sad note - we have a strong community and team of passionate volunteers - so let's have fun and do what we can to help. I stopped uploading.

Kudos to screeners and other volunteers.
318-19-20-21 330-22 340-35 350 380 717 727 737-234578 747-34 757-23 767-34 777-23 787-8 DC9 DC10 M11 MD8x MD90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 DASH8 SF340 E120 TU34 TU54 IL18/62/86/96

airkas1
Head Screener

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Quoting SFO2SVO (Reply 33):
Quoting airkas1 (Reply 31):
one would expect that the developers would work until necessary to fix the most important aspect of this website,

The most important aspect of the site is ad engine. Not really being cynical, can't blame DM for wanting some ROI.

I get that they want to make money and that's fine of course. But for the ads to bring in revenue, the site needs views. And isn't it the photos that draw most visitors? So when that element is broken and no photos are shown, their revenue will fall. That's what I mean by 'most important aspect of this site'. Vicious circle.

SFO2SVO

Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:32 pm

Quoting airkas1 (Reply 34):
Vicious circle.

Just to be clear - I 100% agree that photos are most important component of the site. For us.
However I do not think DM will see much of a drop in number of visits over this weekend. I think DM's target visitor is someone coming from googling "I am flying Transavia 737 next weekend and want to see the picture of one" and then accidentally clicking on one of numerous ads around the photo.
318-19-20-21 330-22 340-35 350 380 717 727 737-234578 747-34 757-23 767-34 777-23 787-8 DC9 DC10 M11 MD8x MD90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 DASH8 SF340 E120 TU34 TU54 IL18/62/86/96

Psych

Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Quoting airkas1 (Reply 34):
And isn't it the photos that draw most visitors?

Hello Kas.

Unfortunately I think the reality is that most of the traffic coming to the site is nothing to do with the photos - it is all the 'chat' on the Forum, mainly Civil. Maybe they could survive well enough without much photo content. So I think Sergey has a point.

Maybe this is a factor in the level of 'investment' into the photo side of the site.

Paul

ghajdufi
Crew

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:48 am

There are over 2 million photos available on the site. For the average site visitor it makes no difference if we add new content to the photos section or not. A few thousand photos added a week is nothing compared to the 2 million we already have. 99.5% of the content added every day is not newsworthy. New photos added daily is only important to the few who are interested in the hobby. The site would function perfectly for a very long time even if there is no new photos content added. We have thousands of photos of transavia 737s from every angle. The outage only hurts us photographers and on the long term we won't be able to or will not want to add new content. There won't be any pictures of the new transavia a380s at all. Thid is your vicious cictle.
Mind you for the majority of the population of this planet the billions of photos available on facebook are good enough. A dark grainy and out of focus smartphone photo heavily compressed by facebook is perfectly fine for all except for us photographers. Once again it's only us being punished.
I don't have many photos here on a.net but I'm not sure for how long I'm happy to lease them out to DM for free. It's not cash I want but a site that works and fun to upload my work to.
Your photos are like your children, you will always find them perfect.

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:16 am

Maybe my views were/are a bit outdated then, as I figured that A.net is (one of) the largest aviation databases that exsists. However, I do agree that the forum is probably drawing a lot of attention aswell, as I know from my own experience (I usually come here first when something happens). Anyway, I don't wish to argue which is more important, I just hope it will soon be fixed  
Quoting Psych (Reply 36):

Maybe this is a factor in the level of 'investment' into the photo side of the site.

Valid point, I guess this/these issue(s) show that.

Quoting ghajdufi (Reply 37):
and on the long term we won't be able to or will not want to add new content.

I really do hope that we can still continue to upload our photos here; I still enjoy uploading and have invested so much time in it that I don't even want to think about it having been a waste.

notaxonrotax

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:17 pm

The thumbnails in the queue appear as normal again.....as well as my accepted images that had been just the dreaded default A-net icon the last few days.

Fingers crossed......

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

hkg82

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Quoting airkas1 (Reply 38):
I really do hope that we can still continue to upload our photos here; I still enjoy uploading and have invested so much time in it that I don't even want to think about it having been a waste.

I think we will, and hopefully soon. Like all the past software-related problems that've plagued Anet, this one will eventually be fixed. That's what I hope anyway!

ghajdufi
Crew

Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 39):
Fingers crossed......

At this stage we are still unable to successfully add images.
Your photos are like your children, you will always find them perfect.

vikkyvik

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Quoting ghajdufi (Reply 37):
There are over 2 million photos available on the site. For the average site visitor it makes no difference if we add new content to the photos section or not. A few thousand photos added a week is nothing compared to the 2 million we already have. 99.5% of the content added every day is not newsworthy. New photos added daily is only important to the few who are interested in the hobby.

Maybe. But I distinctly remember an episode from a couple years ago:

Due to photographer complaints, A.net stopped posting shots to Facebook that had been added within the last 24 hours. But then it was restarted again, because, as I recall, social media growth slowed down considerably during the period when it was stopped.

Now, I don't claim to know who visits A.net's Facebook page (I don't), but new content does have some effect.

Quoting hkg82 (Reply 40):
Like all the past software-related problems that've plagued Anet, this one will eventually be fixed. That's what I hope anyway!

"This one" has popped up something like 10 times now in the last year. I wouldn't hold my breath.

FighterPilot

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Hypothetically, how much would Airliners.net be worth nowadays?  

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

ptrjong

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:54 pm

DM act like it's not worth much.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

notaxonrotax

Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Quoting ghajdufi (Reply 41):
At this stage we are still unable to successfully add images.

Balls.....just checked, all back to error mode again for me.

No Tax On Rotax

vzlet

Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:23 am

I do worry sometimes that the apparent lack of interest by the site owners could mean that the site is expendable in the long run. On the bright side, I surprisingly picked up a "Photographers' Choice" for this increasingly common image:
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

vikkyvik

Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:39 am

Quoting vzlet (Reply 46):
On the bright side, I surprisingly picked up a "Photographers' Choice" for this increasingly common image:

Nicely done! I can tell you, it was certainly a difficult vote to cast - lots of very close competition!

trevisan26

Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:42 am

20 new images right now, screening coming back?

aussie18
Screener

Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:58 am

We have just started testing of screening again with some screeners images, All so far have processed well and added to the database so we are slowly moving towards resuming normal screening but we want to make sure its all being processed well and no default images or thumbnails appear or we lose any images when being added to the database.

Cheers Mark