Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Psych

RE: Database Problems?

Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:04 pm

Quoting hkg82 (Reply 99):

We, uploaders and staff alike, will just have to get used it for the time being, I guess.

Not if you are paying for your membership, some may shout.

It is problematic for any reputable company to take money from someone, effectively for providing a service, for that service then not to be available/provided on a predictably functional basis.

But I guess there will always be so much we, on the outside, will never know for sure. For example, maybe Johan knew full well that before too long the site, as he built it, would not be able to cope effectively with all the extra traffic and photo storage.

Paul

[Edited 2014-11-14 09:28:00]

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 96):
Please someone disabuse me of my pessimism. I genuinely want to get the optimist buried in me to flourish.

You're pretty much correct (as was your post in the thread you linked), so....

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 98):
Advertising revenue (ie money) seems to be the main/only reason for DM to keep the site and so it is fair to assume that if someone came along with the right money, they would sell it.

Who would buy it though? A website run on antiquated software with hundreds of bugs....

Quoting ckw (Reply 97):
Now I fear the only thing that will grab their attention is a dramatic fall in visits leading to a loss of revenue.

But I wonder what they would do in that case? Just shut it down and cut their losses?

Traffic is certainly down and whilst it picked up when we got the queue down I am sure it will have dropped again

True, but I was talking about a more general trend over several years.

dvincent

Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:14 pm

This site needs a clean-sheet redesign.

Half the reason I left the screening team (aside from personal reasons at the time) was the very real frustration over bugs and problems in both the mechanics of the screening process and the site itself. It's frozen in 2004. DM has no desire to fix it, and the screeners have a Herculean task of keeping the lights running.

I'm not saying that because I hate the site, rather, because I love it and want it to get better. But I haven't uploaded in forever because the bugs and problems sapped a lot of will from me. Even just using the site to keep up on pictures was becoming more and more of a problem as the search breaks constantly.

Yes, a new site will be painful, but it must be done. It's an old 707 that we love in the age of 787s, and it will only get worse.

derekf

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:43 pm

I couldn't agree more and in fact said so in the last "Report the Bugs" thread. As I said in that thread, a site that needs a "Report the Bugs" thread is in a bad way. I can't think of any other site that has anything like that.

Many of us, photographers, screeners, forum contributors etc. have spent a lot of time and effort in making this site what it is and to see it in such a poor, fragile state through neglect is very sad.

angad84

Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:04 am

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/airlin...s.net

Wow. Those stats are certainly sobering. Traffic rank fluctuates heavily but the trend is undeniably downward.

Also, load speeds — 83% of all sites load faster!

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 101):
But I wonder what they would do in that case? Just shut it down and cut their losses?

Bite your tongue!

Quoting dvincent (Reply 102):
Yes, a new site will be painful, but it must be done. It's an old 707 that we love in the age of 787s, and it will only get worse.

Agreed.

But a redesign is a catch-22 solution. A.net probably doesn't generate much money for DM. But a redesign, which could potentially boost revenue, will cost money. That's not really their style.

Cheers
Angad

ckw

Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:41 pm

I suspect there is a lot of old code at the core of the site - it should have been rebuilt from scratch when DM took it over.

20+ year old code is a nightmare for anyone to deal with.

To be honest A.net is not that complex a system and a fresh start would be cheaper than patching/reskinning as well as addressing maintenance issues in the longer term.

It may be possible to address the poor performance as well, though I suspect this may be more to do with bandwidth.

Cheers,

Colin

trevisan26

Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Rebuilt all the code would be a excellent for users and even the guys of DM, that wouldn't have to correct many bugs almost weekly. As I said before, develop a site again it isn't something to do in 2 days, but I think its worth. If possible they could create a new design and the user can choose which one to use.

Lets talk about some new tools that users want, after the moderators/screeners write a letter and we collect many signatures as possible. Not sure how many active members we have at Airliners.net, but its impossible that DM wouldn't change anything with 10.000 signatures...

Thiago Trevisan

ptrjong

Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:35 pm

I'd think they could purchase and largely copy the code of some other, modern photo database.

Quoting trevisan26 (Reply 106):
ts impossible that DM wouldn't change anything with 10.000 signatures...

Very possible with people only interested in (short-term) profit.

Perhaps it's true that DM only bought a.net because of the aviation interest of Paulo (whose corporate lingo I personally didn't like, either). A.net seems to be an oddball in their portfolio (although that remains vague to me).

ckw

Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:03 am

Just had a look at the advertising page of the Demand Media website. May be worth noting that A.net is the cheapest site to advertise on in their portfolio.

If nothing else, that would suggest that A.net will be at the bottom of the list when it comes to investing in site maintenance / redevelopment.

Cheers,

Colin

vir380

Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:55 am

I still have my last 5 as default image thumbnails in Chrome , however when opened in IE they seem to be ok.
Very bizarre and irritating still

regards

Psych

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:01 am

Quoting vir380 (Reply 109):
I still have my last 5 as default image thumbnails in Chrome
Quoting Psych (Reply 96):
IT gurus - what could be causing this?

Currently I have 7 default thumbnails looking in Safari on my iPad, on my first page, but none with Firefox on the PC (some with IE). Seriously, if this a browser cache issue, how can it be it changes? I really want to know. 3 days ago on my iPad (i.e. after the latest crisis) everything looked okay, so what's the explanation for it getting worse again? It's obviously relating to accepted images in that 'window' earlier in the month.

I had been assuming that eventually this will right itself, but am I being naive? I'd value a technical explanation to broaden my understanding of such things.

Paul

ptrjong

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:58 am

Quoting ckw (Reply 108):
Just had a look at the advertising page of the Demand Media website

Ah, that helps. Okay, a.net is not really an oddball, they have other special interest sites.

vir380

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 110):
I had been assuming that eventually this will right itself, but am I being naive

I suspect we are all being naive Paul , is AN about to deliver itself into its own backside ?

Very sad state of affairs , ive had it !

Regards

unattendedbag

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 92):
Screening has resumed but the 4/5 day queue is back to eleven and we are pretty dejected by that. Thanks to many of you holding off uploading it is about 7,500 as opposed to 5,400 when this latest mess started.

I'm assuming the problems related to the reasons for the inception of this thread have been resolved. Has screeneing returned to its normal semi-fubar standard?

gabik001
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:09 am

I was thinking that web page problems coused my photos to disapeared from queue. Well, today I received a message from screeners that "upload ban was removed". What? I never received an email stated that I have upload ban. And if so which photo caused that. Those photos that disappered from queue never appear in rejection secion so I assumed that they never have been screened... I wotuld like to know some things.