Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zahorj
Topic Author

Designing Products For Plane Spotters

Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi Everyone!

Being a plane spotter and a design student at Glasgow School of Art. I am curious if there is any potential to improve spotting experience. My academic project is looking into finding design opportunities and introducing a product or a service that is valuable to a specific community, reflecting the needs and wants.

As a spotter, I feel a certain lack of such products specifically for spotters so I took on the challenge of finding insights. I would very much appreciate any comments about your spotting experiences, ideally sharing any issues you come across in your spotting routines, in sharing your achievements, equipment etc. I also have a short survey that you can run through and answer a question or two, that would be very helpful as well. ( https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B2CN9XZ )

If anyone would be interested to either share an opinion or ask me any questions about the project, my email address is [email protected], I´m happy to share the process with you!

Many thanks!

Survey link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B2CN9XZ

JohnJ

RE: Designing Products For Plane Spotters

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Some kind of flexible rubber hood that would fit around your lens and allow you to shoot through terminal window glass without reflections would be useful. It would need to be designed in such a way that you could move your camera at different angles to the glass without the hood letting in reflecting light.

glen

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 1):

That would be also great for shooting through cockpit- or cabinwindows.

NZ107

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 1):

These exist but one that is fabric, which can cover a big area (think size of a plane window), can stay against the window and not flop and also can collapse easily.. That's something I'd like to come up with.

ckw

Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:34 am

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 1):
It would need to be designed in such a way that you could move your camera at different angles to the glass without the hood letting in reflecting light.

Rubber hoods already exist, but working at angles still isn't going to work, esp, with thick, possible double/triple glazed windows as these introduce distortion as soon as you move from the perpendicular.

Going for the completely outrageous, how about something that could target what you are focusing on and record ADS-B data as metadata with the image?

Cheers,

Colin

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:12 pm

I have the rubber hood and it works rather well compared to the standard plastic hood when shooting through windows.
But a combination of a rubber hood and one of these would be great, with a thicker fabric of course:

The metal wiring should have the size of a standard aircraft window +10%. The wire frame can be inserted along the rim of the window frame

kulverstukas

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:59 pm

O! I hope some day someone will make plugin for LR which will fill EXIF fields with plane data from Airlinerlist.com or similar DB if fed with reg number...

JohnJ

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:45 pm

Back to the lens hood, can someone point me to a source on the Internet that sells such a thing? Not sure exactly what to search for.

Moose135

Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 7):
Back to the lens hood, can someone point me to a source on the Internet that sells such a thing? Not sure exactly what to search for.

Collapsible Rubber Lens Hood

http://www.amazon.com/58MM-Staged-Co...lapsible-Rubber-Lens/dp/B003XATM94

I had a few when I shot film with my old Yashica SLR, back in the late '70s and '80s.

JohnJ

Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:53 am

Thanks, Moose.

X
X
X

oldcodger

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Steps/ladder which would be both light enough not to take up a significant amount of weight allowance, and fold small enough, to travel as check in luggage (ideally light enough/small enough to carry as cabin baggage, but I suspect that might prove an impossible goal).

ckw

Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:28 am

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 5):

But a combination of a rubber hood and one of these would be great, with a thicker fabric of course:

The metal wiring should have the size of a standard aircraft window 10%. The wire frame can be inserted along the rim of the window frame

But if you have the rubber hood against the glass, there's no need for the fabric surround.

For an air to air shoot I once fabricated a simple cone out of black felt, positioning the wide end against the window. The idea being that I wanted the effect of pressing a rubber hood against the window, but also wanted to avoid transmitting vibrations. It actually worked quite well, but could be improved with a little wire stiffening.

It doesn't need to screw onto anything, just push the lens through the narrow end of the cone.

Cheers.

Colin

kulverstukas

Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Quoting ckw (Reply 11):
But if you have the rubber hood against the glass, there's no need for the fabric surround.

Illuminators (as well as windows at airports now) have double glass so despite hood blocks reflections from first glass, it's still good to prevent as much light as possible to reach second glass.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:38 am

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 12):
it's still good to prevent as much light as possible to reach second glass.

Correct, light still "bleeds" into the image even with the rubber hood. Note to self, do not fly wearing a white shirt with blue pattern...