Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jagwar
Topic Author

Anyone Had Issues At ATL?

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Plan on going to ATL soon mainly to see the Korean A380. It seems the best spot to see it would be from the SOUTH parking garage shown here:
http://flightlineaviationmedia.com/p...anespotting/locations/atlanta-atl/

Would be quite disappointing to make the trip and be kicked out right away. Has anyone had security issues at this location when plane spotting?

Also if you have any other suggestions to see the a380 I'm all ears.
and yes i did make a few threads about this months back but I decided to make a fresh one as the trip was put off.

[Edited 2014-12-15 09:36:52]

[Edited 2014-12-15 09:39:17]

jetmatt777

RE: Anyone Had Issues At ATL?

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Send an email to the airport with your name, address, contact info, time you will be at the airport, etc. and then print out their response and keep it on you while you are out.

Moose135

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:39 pm

I was on that parking garage for over an hour one Saturday morning over the summer, and no one paid any attention to me, including the security guard who walked through the parking deck at one point. It can't hurt to contact the authorities ahead of time, it just wasn't something I had planned out, more of a spur of the moment trip to Atlanta.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

KaiGywer

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:47 pm

I've only been there once, but I was there for a couple of hours and was never approached by anyone.

I even spotted this guy

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/kaigywer/DSC00444_zpse462cb63.jpg

[Edited 2014-12-16 08:52:37]
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

JohnJ

Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Jetmatt777, I don't think ATL is doing the permission slip any more. Several years ago I contacted Deallous Smith, their media director, to get mine renewed. He told me they don't issue them any more because... photography is not prohibited at the airport! I've heard of others getting hassled on the garage but I've not had problems. Smith told me to call him if I ran into any problems.

JohnJ

Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:11 pm

Oh, and jagwar, just be aware that you'll have backlit shots from the south garage this time of year. Even at the height of summer, while workable, the lighting isn't stellar. Sadly, there aren't many good spots to get pix of the south runways in the winter, though if you get off-airport you can get some overhead shots.

You may not care about backlighting, so take this for what it's worth.

727LOVER

Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 5):
Oh, and jagwar, just be aware that you'll have backlit shots from the south garage this time of year.

HUH????

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Luis David Sanchez
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan S. Gomez

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 5):
Sadly, there aren't many good spots to get pix of the south runways in the winter

Sure there are.....you just gotta look!   

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan S. Gomez
View Large View Medium

Photo © John Padgett

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ozell Stephens Jr
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Propwash Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © Propwash Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ozell Stephens Jr

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

I think this one is northside.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan S. Gomez

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

jagwar
Topic Author

Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:33 pm

727Lover, could you find a picture featuring the view from the garage, unzoomed and showing the landscape?

727LOVER

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:47 pm

For some reason, I keep getting PROXY ERROR when I now try to post pics.....

What JohnJ said was mostly true about the south garage, but you CAN get some shots. You'll just have to do it as the aircraft is turning.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

jagwar
Topic Author

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 8):

Where would you go if you wanted to see the A380?

JohnJ

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:41 pm

Yes, I forgot about the angle with aircraft pulling onto the taxiway; that's certainly workable in the afternoon if the traffic pattern is right. The KE A380 arrives around 9 a.m., I believe, and departs around noon, so not sure how much the sun will have worked its way over to the west by then.

As for the overheads, yes there are a fair number of good spots off-airport for that, but it's tough to get anything into the shots that says "Atlanta." Might be the best bet to catch that A380, though. I've had great luck inside the terminal, though not so much with F being open, just uncharted territory for me. If you have a flight out that day or have access that's the angle I'd choose.

JohnJ

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:45 pm

Here's a shot taken in May that give an idea of the view:

View Large View Medium

Photo © John E. Jauchler - New England Airports

jagwar
Topic Author

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:44 pm

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 11):

Thanks. Here is the deal:
KE35 (A380) takes off ONLY on runway 27R which means it will be going airborne just before the south parking garage making the spot pretty great and there is no question as to what runway he will take off on. However, the landing is more complex... the problem is the A380 will either land on 27R or 27L to my knowledge... I don't know how to plan a spot if I don't know what runway he is going to land on that day. Any suggestions?

[Edited 2014-12-16 15:46:01]

JohnJ

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:20 am

So, for the morning I think we can agree the garage is a no-go for decent lighting. And, don't forget that you might not be dealing with the 27s, but possibly the 9s. Does he ever come in on 28?

You should at least have well advance warning of the basic direction of traffic hours before the arrival unless the weather is unsettled. I'd scope out a good spot in advance for each possible runway, then listen carefully to ATL Approach on my scanner starting about a half-hour before arrival. LiveATC.net can also be used either in conjunction with or instead of a scanner. The flight should be given its runway assignment upon first check-in with Approach. Then, you can jet over to the right spot to wait for its arrival. Keep listening, though, as runway switches do happen. FlightRadar24 can also be of benefit, though I don't know if the map is detailed enough to be able to tell which parallel he's lined up with.

jagwar
Topic Author

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:26 am

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 13):

No, I don't think he will land on any but 27R or 27L. I use flightradar24 as my prime method of tracking. Can you give me the link for the Approach for atl?

jagwar
Topic Author

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:28 am

Quoting jagwar (Reply 14):

Didn't see an edit option for the post...
here is ATL on LiveATC.
http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=KATL
Which one should I be downloading for knowing how he will land?

JohnJ

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:30 am

I'd say Approach (final) is your best bet from that list, but it may not give you much time. Not sure what else to suggest if you don't have a scanner. Might be worth checking out the LiveATC archives to see if there's any kind of pattern. As for FlightRadar, I'd just enter the flight number and follow him in. Even FlightAware has a historic flight track, maybe you can look at last flights and make out which runway was used.

JohnJ

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:44 am

FlightRadar24 is indeed detailed enough to make out which runway he lands on; assuming the flight tracks are accurate, it does appear KE35 uses both 27L and 27R to land, though 27R seems the more common runway. Go to the FlightRadar24 web page, click on "Data/History" on the menu bar at the top, and enter KE35 as the flight number. When the list of historical flights is displayed, for past flights you can click the little airplane icon to the right of the list and see the flight track for any given day.

[Edited 2014-12-16 17:56:29]

jagwar
Topic Author

Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:26 am

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 17):

I already did what your explaining lol. I only have one chance at it's arrival, because my trip will have me in ATL only once at 9-10AM.

JohnJ

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Are you flying through? If so, again the terminal might be your best angle.

jagwar
Topic Author

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 19):

Nope road trip

JohnJ

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:37 am

Ah. Well, I listened to him on LiveATC this morning and watched him on FlightRadar24, so those tools should help you a lot. For 27L arrivals I've used parking lot of an indoor gun range on the other side of I-75 - if you do that, make sure to check in with the manager; he came out one time wondering what I was doing in his parking lot. He was fine once I told him but asked that I drop by the office first so they'd know I was out there. The other spot listed in your link above, the sewage treatment access road, has also worked well for me in the past for 27L and is actually probably the better of the two spots.

I suspect 27R isn't used much for arrivals, so I have no guidance there. Checking Google Earth, looks like there are some distribution centers east of the airport that could work, or perhaps you can find a parking lot/driveway off Old Dixie Road, which runs across approach paths of 27R and 27L (and the 26s as well). The planes will be a bit high out there but better than nothing.

jagwar
Topic Author

Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Got a WRITTEN document regarding permission from someone at Public Affairs to show to any security that may interfere  

[Edited 2014-12-18 14:43:29]

redsox

Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:09 am

It is a great airport and I ben their befor to change airplane and the layout of the airport map I see in a airlines magazine . And I dont think ATL has any problems at all when I was their.

jetmatt777

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 4):
Jetmatt777, I don't think ATL is doing the permission slip any more. Several years ago I contacted Deallous Smith, their media director, to get mine renewed. He told me they don't issue them any more because... photography is not prohibited at the airport! I've heard of others getting hassled on the garage but I've not had problems. Smith told me to call him if I ran into any problems.

Ah okay! Last time I was there to look at airplanes was probably 2009. 5 years ago! (where does the time go).

I haven't even taken photos for A.net in 4 years. I'm pretty out of touch!