Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A388
Topic Author

Scanners For Photos, Slides And Negatives

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Hello All,

I want to start "digitalizing" my old photos and was told by a good friend of mine that the Canon Canoscan 8800F. Unfortunately the local stores here told me that this scanner is only sold in the U.S. which I found strange but they offered me the HP Scanjet G4050. Do any of you have experience with this scanner or any HP scanner? Another friend I know has the Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 II scanner.

Can anyone give me advise on these and other scanners to use for digitalizing printed photos or negatives?

Cheers,

A388

bombayduck

RE: Scanners For Photos, Slides And Negatives

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:31 pm

A388
I use CanoScan 5600F, all of my pictures from the 80's and the 90's and a few from the 00's. These were scanned from slides and negatives. You might be able to get this scanner. I have just had seven scans uploaded. The two pictures below were from the Canon scanner.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stephen Duquemin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stephen Duquemin

Steve

dendrobatid

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:22 am

A388

I use a Scan Elite 1 for most 35mm scans and it is great quality - I love it and the results are better than the Nikon Coolscan I had before which prohibitively broke. The II gives the same results but is faster but I am certain that both are now obsolete and I am not sure if you would be able to get them fixed if they broke. Drivers might be an issue too ! Scanning using this method gives the best results (for amateurs at least) but is very time consuming

I also have a CanonScan 9950F flat bed for prints and roll film scans and that gives great results. It can scan a large number, 12 or 16 I think, of 35mm negatives or slides very quickly and whilst the results are not quite as good as the Scan Elite they are still very, very good. The Scan Elite seems to give better shadow detail than the flat bed but I would be happy with just the Canon if I needed to.
On the Scan Elite, I think this one at least equals digital quality

Mick Bajcar

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mick Bajcar

ckw

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:18 am

I'm currently doing a scan of old negs and slides using an Epson V750.

I also had a Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED.

In terms of absolute quality, I think the Coolscan has a slight edge, but made the scanning process much more tedious.

With the Epson I can scan up to 24 frames on film strips or 20 (I think) mounted slides in one pass. Maximum optical res is 4800DPI (though interpolated res is up to 7200). On my system takes about 2 hours to scan a tray of 24 exposures using Digital ICE (this pretty much doubles the scan time, but saves ages in removing dust spots from the scan).

I think there's a newer version (V850) but I've read there's not much difference in final quality.

BTW I think the Canon 8800F is discontinued, but there is a Canon 9000F available in the UK.

When comparing scanners, be careful of the "headline" figures - max res is often an interpolated figure. Generally your best bet is to scan at maximum optical res (which is often more than sufficient). Also scan times are usually quoted for a straight scan with no "extras". Most of the extras you won't need (eg, sharpening - better done in post), but dust removal is, I think a must - and this adds significantly to scan times. Note that infrared dust removal systems are really effective but won't work on silver halide film (B&W) or in many cases, Kodachrome.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Cathay111

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:59 am

I was using a HP PhotoSmart PhotoScanner (from the 90's!) and upgraded a couple of years back to the Plustek 8200i Ai model. It is very user friendly for negative scanning and slides scan easily enough.

http://plustek.com/oeu/products/opticfilm-series/opticfilm-8200i-ai/

Here's a link to a scan of a shot taken by Frank in Japan back in 2004 that I punched through the 8200.

https://scontent-nrt.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10353541_10152876258929027_459327277435752504_o.jpg

ckw

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:50 am

Just as a postscript to this - whatever scanner you get, it is almost certainly worth investing in a copy of Vuescan (http://www.hamrick.com/).

This provides support for pretty much any scanner ever made (so gets round the problem of out of date drivers) as well as usually adding significantly to the capabilities of the scanner when used with the bundled software (for instance multi-pass scanning, which is not always supported in supplied software).

There is a learning curve involved, but bundled software often sacrifices the potential quality of the hardware in return for ease of use/speed.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel