Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trevisan26
Topic Author

LAX Heli Spotting

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:06 pm

I'll be in LAX from 13th July till 18th July, and I'm looking to the heli spotting for the first time. I've read many indications to Star Helicopters and found some prices at their site.

Robinson R44 Raven II = $600 hour (1 to 3 Plane Spotters)
Robinson R44 Raven I = $550 hour (1 to 3 Plane Spotters)
Robinson R22 Beta II = $300 hour (1 Plane Spotter)

1) Whats the differences between R44 I and II?
2) There is any drawback when comparing the R22 to R44?
3) Whats the best time to be in the air, I mean, more heavy and super aircrafts coming?
4) I currently have a Nikon D5200 (24.1mp) and a VR 70-300mm. With the crop factor 105-450mm. How many mm are needed to the widebodyes and narrows?

Thanks in advance,
Thiago Trevisan

jelpee

RE: LAX Heli Spotting

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:19 am

1) Not sure of the difference between the R44 1 & R44 II
2) No draw back to the R22. If it's just you, no sense in paying for the 2 empty seats behind you.
3) Check flight aware for arrivals. Morning is good for the heavy arrivals. Afternoon between 12-3 PM also seemed good when I was there in Nov 2014.
4) Your 70-300 should work well. I also took a second body with an 18-270 to take overview shots.

Moose135

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:40 am

Quoting jelpee (Reply 1):
1) Not sure of the difference between the R44 1 & R44 II

The II has a more powerful engine, and larger (wider) rotors, I believe.

trevisan26
Topic Author

Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Thank you both for the answers.  

More two questions:
1) I know sometimes LAX have a big fog during the morning, if thats the case in the day I've booked the flight, they let you change to another day?
2) Booking more than one our, three for example, its possible to get a discount or they are very restricted with the prices?

Again, thanks in advance,
Thiago Trevisan

AndyEastMids

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:00 pm

If the marine layer rolls in as far as TBIT, the tower won't allow the heli flights anyway. You don't pay if you don't fly because of weather. You can then book for another day, but as a minimum notice of 24 hours is needed for Star to set up the flights with LA ATC, it's unlikely you could rebook for the very next day

The prices are per hour

Andy

jrowson

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:08 am

The day that I did it, the marine layer of course rolled in but was only partially covering the airport so we were still able to go ahead with the flight. The terminal area was unobstructed so got plenty of great shots still. The marine layer actually contributed to one of my best shots of the day.

cschleic

Sat May 02, 2015 10:19 pm

I've done it a couple of times. Worth the money to do at least once. While the R44 holds three spotters, only two have a good view as they're on the side away from the pilot, and the pilot maneuvers so that side has the view. If you're the third, it's not good.

Note that the rates per hour are for the time the engine is turned on, so the actual time over LAX is less. It's about 5 - 10 minutes each way to/from LAX. When they return, they keep the engine running on the ground a bit to cool down.

Heavy arrivals are fun to catch, especially the 380's that tend to land on the north. But picking a time when the gates generally are full is good, too; otherwise, you can waste some valuable time waiting for something to show up.

Yes, marine layer can be a summer problem (June Gloom it's called).

Definitely take two bodies with two zooms. They don't let you take anything else - camera bag, etc., unless it's in a secure pocket - so you won't drop anything. If you have to change a memory card or battery, be very careful. Better to take a large card and fully charged battery. Also, no lens hoods...the wind can be a problem.

While they take plastic for the flight, don't forget to bring cash for a tip. They do a good job.

[Edited 2015-05-02 15:22:18]

trevisan26
Topic Author

Wed May 13, 2015 6:22 am

Thanks guys for the answers. I'll book the flights inthe first two days of my trip, if the marine layer comes, I'll have enough time to book another day with the necessary antecedence. Now its just take a look at the schedules and book it.

Quoting JRowson (Reply 5):
The marine layer actually contributed to one of my best shots of the day.

Wow, your BA and AF shots at LAX are just terrific.

Quoting cschleic (Reply 6):
Definitely take two bodies with two zooms. They don't let you take anything else - camera bag, etc., unless it's in a secure pocket - so you won't drop anything. If you have to change a memory card or battery, be very careful. Better to take a large card and fully charged battery. Also, no lens hoods...the wind can be a problem.

Now I've a problem, not about memory card or battery since I can use one 64gb and a battery grip, but about the second body. May be I can rent a second body for this day, I will have some more information about it.

Any idea if these kind of shot should be ok with 70mm (or 105 equivalent) or a wider lense is necessary?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark A Harris
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark A Harris

Thanks very much,
Thiago Trevisan

FlightShadow

Wed May 13, 2015 7:14 am

Quoting cschleic (Reply 6):
When they return, they keep the engine running on the ground a bit to cool down.

I'm a fixed-wing guy, but I'd be curious to know how much validity there is to the engine needing to "cool down." Seems like a good way to leave the engine running for two more minutes and get lunch covered for the day. I work for a medical helo outfit and our pilots cut the engines almost instantly after touchdown.

aussie18

Wed May 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Quoting trevisan26 (Reply 7):
Any idea if these kind of shot should be ok with 70mm (or 105 equivalent) or a wider lense is necessary?

Both those shots were taken with a 100-400mm and Canon 6D from 1000ft.

Cheers Mark

cschleic

Fri May 15, 2015 10:42 am

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 8):
I work for a medical helo outfit and our pilots cut the engines almost instantly after touchdown.

Yeah, I've wondered. But it's a piston engine. Are yours turbine?

Quoting trevisan26 (Reply 7):
Now I've a problem, not about memory card or battery since I can use one 64gb and a battery grip, but about the second body. May be I can rent a second body for this day, I will have some more information about it.

Don't know specifically about those, but they look like maybe short telephoto. I've always taken a 24 - 105, and 100 - 400. The shorter zoom works for the wide and building overviews like those above. The longer zoom for shots of individual planes on the ground or in the air. If you can work out a 2nd body, definitely worth it. Changing lenses isn't really an option, unless you have someone riding along as an assistant.

FlightShadow

Sat May 16, 2015 3:45 am

Quoting cschleic (Reply 10):
Are yours turbine?

Yeah. I'll ask about that next time I bump into one of the pilots.

AndyEastMids

Sat May 16, 2015 3:56 am

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 8):

I'm a fixed-wing guy, but I'd be curious to know how much validity there is to the engine needing to "cool down." Seems like a good way to leave the engine running for two more minutes and get lunch covered for the day.

Or of course you could just read the R44 POH...

http://www.robinsonheli.com/manuals/r44_1_poh/r44_1_poh_4.pdf - section 4-14

SHUTDOWN PROCEDURE
CHT drop - throttle closed
Wait 30 seconds - mixture off

In other words after landing you've got to wait for a cylinder head temperature drop and a further thirty seconds before pulling the mixture which stops the engine...

Unlike a fixed wing airplane which will typically have a period of fairly low power running on final and after landing during taxi in which will help with cooling , a helicopter engine can be working quite hard during hover taxi - no wheels on a R44. Flying a fixed wing you should know that even if it isn't in the checklist good practice says you prolong the life of an air cooled piston engine by letting the temps drop a bit before shutting down.

[Edited 2015-05-15 21:38:46]

trevisan26
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Quoting aussie18 (Reply 9):
Both those shots were taken with a 100-400mm and Canon 6D from 1000ft.

Cheers Mark

Thanks for the answer Mark.

Quoting cschleic (Reply 10):
Don't know specifically about those, but they look like maybe short telephoto. I've always taken a 24 - 105, and 100 - 400. The shorter zoom works for the wide and building overviews like those above. The longer zoom for shots of individual planes on the ground or in the air. If you can work out a 2nd body, definitely worth it. Changing lenses isn't really an option, unless you have someone riding along as an assistant.

As some parents have been in Miami for the last week I've ordered a D610 + 24-85 for a good deal compared to the prices here in Brazil that are ridiculous, at least twice. So now my equipment will be D5200 + 70-300 (105-450 equivalent) and a D610 full frame + 24-85, I think thats fine. Both 24mp in case I need some crop.

Very anxious to do this for the first time.

Best regards,
Thiago Trevisan

yerbol
Screener

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:51 am

Enjoy LAX heli spotting, Thiago!
Looking forward to see your photos from there.