Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kann123air
Topic Author

LHR Spotting June 28th-July 2nd

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:20 am

Hi everyone,

I've just booked a spotting trip to LHR for June 28th to July 2nd and I'm very excited! After doing some research about what hotels to stay in, I decided on the Renaissance-LHR. I would love to meet up with any local who knows the ins and outs of spotting around the airport.

I also won't have a car, so what are my transportation options from the hotel to spotting areas? What are the optimal spotting areas during the summer?

I particularly love these banking shots. Where were these taken from, and is this location good during the summer?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © LHR Photos
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Kwiatkowski

Thanks a bunch!
Amrit Kannan
Going for great

winterlight

RE: LHR Spotting June 28th-July 2nd

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:35 am

Photography not a good idea during the summer months due to the high sun and heat haze. The examples above are only worth doing during the winter.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

G-CIVP

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:33 am

The issue with LHR is the sun is too high in summer and you will encounter the famous 'grey' bottoms. You will be able to get some decent results say between 7.00-9.00am and say 5.00pm onwards depending on where you position yourself.

The photos above are taken from a public park in Feltham (a town near Heathrow) using some rather long lenses when 09R is in operation for departures. This does not happen all the time as the preference is 27L/27R depending on the wind direction. Again, photos here in summer will only be reasonable in the late evening. Please appreciate that not every aircraft will be accommodating as some departures head north rather than south. Therefore, the strike rate will be 'one in three' so to speak.

Apologises for the disappointing news but your time in London may be better spent sight-seeing, especially if you have never visited before.

kann123air
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 2):
Apologises for the disappointing news but your time in London may be better spent sight-seeing, especially if you have never visited before.

Ah that's alright, part of the fun of the trip is flying on the AA 787 so I'm ok with this news.   You mention that photography will be decent in the early morning hours and in the late evening, what areas would you suggest for such shots?

View Large View Medium

Photo © N94504
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Wood

Also, could you guys tell me where these were taken? I know that the first was on approach to 27L and the second is on 27R, but I'm not sure about specific locations.

Thanks again,
Amrit

[Edited 2015-04-19 08:19:16]
Going for great

bombayduck

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Looks like the shot from 27L is from Myrtle Avenue. This is about a ten minute walk from Hatton Cross underground station. If you have not been there before, exit the Station to your right. There you will see a petrol station to the right. Cross over the road go past the petrol station keep on walking until you a large grassy area this will be Myrtle Avenue, also there should be other spotters there. I normally use either a 18-270 lens or a 70-300, depending on what you want to photograph.
If you want pictures of A380's then use an 18-270 lens

Steve

[Edited 2015-04-19 11:26:59]

winterlight

Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:07 pm

If sunny, early morning line ups on 27L or 27R from 0600 until 0730-ish are you're best bet. The light is awful on E-W angled runways during the summer.

AlexC

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:46 am

It's complete nonsense to say that it's only worth taking photos at Heathrow in the winter. Take a look at the data base to see photos taken in June and July.

jrowson

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:39 pm

You'll be in the perfect location to get those 27R touch down shots like the BA 777 you posted above, but they'll only be well lit in the summer evenings so you should be there around the right time. Will involve some lens through the fence shots so be aware you may get moved on by the authorites.
James Rowson

winterlight

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Quoting AlexC (Reply 6):
It's complete nonsense to say that it's only worth taking photos at Heathrow in the winter. Take a look at the data base to see photos taken in June and July.

Unless you work airside, you just need to pick your times for good light. 0600 - 0730 is good for 27L/R line ups or 09L vacations and 1930 - 2000 ish is okay for 27L/R arrivals.

anjin

Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:00 pm

1. Renaissance Hotel - good choice ask for a room with a view
2. To get to Myrtle Ave as indicated above there is a free bus service from near the Hotel (ask the Conceige) it's only 5 mins.
3. The runways switch over at 1500
4. Enjoy

winterlight

Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Unless you want to go 'spotting', then the weather is irrelevant. All you need is some binoculars and a notepad.

kann123air
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:12 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

Quoting winterlight (Reply 10):
Unless you want to go 'spotting', then the weather is irrelevant. All you need is some binoculars and a notepad.

No, I'll be carrying a camera too.  
Going for great

LHRResident91

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:47 pm

I spot fairly regularly at Myrtle Avenue. I will probably be there the same time as you at some point. I would be more than happy to show you around a couple of spotting areas near by.

The 285 bus is free and will take you from the hotel to Hatton Cross, then a 5 min walk to Myrtle.