Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seatslider
Topic Author

Wide Angle Lens Flight Deck Crop Sensor

Wed May 06, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm looking to buy a wide angle lens for shots at work on the 737 flightdeck. I have a Canon 70D.

I'm considering the samyang 8mm or the tokina 11-16 ... or any others you can suggest to me. I'm hoping to spend around 500USD or so (or more given valid reasons).

The 737 "office" is quite tight(and being a crop sensor) so the 8mm is appealing but finding example shots from the flight deck, in one of the seats, is hard to find. Sure there are shots from rear of flight deck door etc but I'm trying to decide if the tokina is wide enough to capture nice sunsets/sunrises etc

Any ideas on how to find example shots, or general thoughts on distortion and level horizons would be much appreciated.
Thanks

clickhappy

RE: Wide Angle Lens Flight Deck Crop Sensor

Wed May 06, 2015 5:28 pm

The easiest thing to do would use the Photo Search Engine and select Boeing 737 as the Aircraft Type and Flight Decks as the Category. I would then look for the type of photo you are hoping to take and look for any comments the photog may have uploaded.

Here are a couple of examples:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Cesar Novaes
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrei.Makul

Or, you could try contacting the photog directly of any photo you like that doesn't have comments.

Good luck.

vikkyvik

Wed May 06, 2015 8:41 pm

I haven't used either of them, but the new Canon EF-S 10-18mm seems to be a decent lens, for quite a cheap price. Same with the older Canon EF-S 10-22, though it's a bit higher priced.

I think I've heard good things about the Tamron 10-24, but don't quote me on that.

Downside to all these lenses is that they'd be useless if you want to upgrade to full-frame at some point.

INNflight

Wed May 06, 2015 9:35 pm

I have been using the Canon 11-24mm L for two months or so now.
It comes at a premium price, but quality is ridiculously good, and there's almost no distortion.

Highly recommended!

Moose135

Wed May 06, 2015 10:01 pm

I really haven't done any cockpit shots with it, but I have the Tokina 11-16 and used it frequently on a 7D. It's a very good lens, I highly recommend it.

NZ107

Thu May 07, 2015 9:50 am

Quoting INNflight (Reply 3):
It comes at a premium price, but quality is ridiculously good, and there's almost no distortion.

Sheesh, it's more expensive than a 5D3! I guess I'll be weighing up between a new tele zoom and this next  

I suggest the OP goes for the Canon 10-18mm. Heard good things about this cheap lens. But I think an external flash is equally as important for daytime cockpit shots.

glen

Thu May 07, 2015 6:27 pm

Same camera like yours and the EF-S 10-22:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruno Camenzind
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruno Camenzind

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruno Camenzind
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruno Camenzind

I think the results on a 737 will be similar. As others said, the new EF-S 10-18 should be as good. For the night shots it's nice to have the aperture of 3.5 on the 10-22, on the other hand you have the IS on the 10-18.
While I am more than happy with the 10-22, may be I would go for the 10-18 today considering the much better price.

yerbol
Screener

Fri May 08, 2015 2:51 am

Get the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
It is better build, has bright constant apperture f2.8 and it is sharper than Canon 10-18mm.

angad84

Fri May 08, 2015 6:28 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/17271362962/ [not my photo]

This was shot with a Rokinon 8mm in MUCH tighter quarters than a B737 flight deck, so for maximum coverage, that's probably your best bet. However, I certainly prefer zooms for the flexibility they offer, and having used the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, I would certainly recommend it. It compares favourably with the well-regarded Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC lens, which I own and shoot with extensively.

However, as Vik said, these are all APS-C (crop sensor) options, so if you ever upgrade, you're going to have to find new lenses too. That's never been a problem for me, because I prefer APS-C for the extra "zoom" when shooting tele. But it's worth keeping in mind depending on the kind of stuff you are shooting.

Cheers
A

INNflight

Fri May 08, 2015 10:06 am

If you're interested, I have a lot of 11-24mm cockpit photos (not a 737 tho) on my blog...

LINK

NZ107

Fri May 08, 2015 11:06 am

Quoting INNflight (Reply 9):

Hope to see some Jumbolino ones soon!

seatslider
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2015 9:41 pm

Thank you very much! Great discussion and lots of good points raised. Thank you.

Haven't purchased yet. The variable aperture on the cheap canon is something I'm not overly keen on. But I'm glad I've been reminded of it so I make an informed purchase. Cheers

NZ107

Tue May 12, 2015 10:39 am

Quoting seatslider (Reply 11):

Beggars can't be choosers.

The Canon 10-22mm is a fantastic lens and that has a variable aperture.

dazbo5

Tue May 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Another contender is the Sigma 10-20 EX. I've been using one for 7 years and can't fault it;

View Large View Medium

Photo © Darren Wilson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Darren Wilson

View Large View Medium

Photo © Darren Wilson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Darren Wilson

It's great for museums, cabins, window views and flight decks. The Canberra and Vulcan above are pretty tight cockpits so should be plenty wide enough for the 737 office. One thing to bear in mind, if you're using flash, make sure the flash is wide enough to cover the width of the lens. For example, I use a Canon 430EX that has a flash width of 14mm. The 10-20 on a crop body is 16mm so is fine. If you go wider than 9mm on a crop body, your flash might not cover it and give dark edges.

Darren