Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

krawczyn
Topic Author

MIA Spotting- Fence Holes

Sat May 09, 2015 11:26 pm

I've previously been to the fence holes location and had no problem standing against the fence taking photos with a DSLR. However, recently I went with only a much smaller basic superzoom point-and-shoot and was very politely asked to leave by what I believe was airport ops. I explained I was just taking photos and the lady mentioned that I should go to perimeter road to plane spot instead (It was difficult to hear exactly what she said, I am assuming she was referring to the el dorado furniture location). I'm wondering if anyone else has ever been asked to leave before. Maybe without a DSLR I didn't seem like a legit photographer.

nssd70

RE: MIA Spotting- Fence Holes

Sun May 10, 2015 9:53 pm

I had an uninformed cop stop me last Summer at the holes, but after another cop stopped and told the other cop that the holes is fine for photographers, I didn't have any problems.

Doug

scbriml

Mon May 11, 2015 6:49 am

Quoting krawczyn (Thread starter):
I've previously been to the fence holes location

Where are the fence holes at MIA?

Quoting nssd70 (Reply 1):
I had an uninformed cop stop me last Summer at the holes, but after another cop stopped and told the other cop that the holes is fine for photographers, I didn't have any problems.

Why did the first cop think there were holes in the fence, FFS?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

JohnJ

Mon May 11, 2015 3:51 pm

The last time I was there there was a big sign next to the holes that said "photography permitted in this area only." If that sign is still there, the legality of photography there is pretty cut-and-dried.

len90

Mon May 11, 2015 9:22 pm

I was at the holes about a year ago now. There was clear signage stating photography permitted. For the brief time I was there (before heading to El Dorado) I was greeted by everyone driving by.

MIA and FLL were among the best airports I have ever spotted at because of their tolerance to photography.
Len90

greenjet

Tue May 12, 2015 1:49 am

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 3):
The last time I was there there was a big sign next to the holes that said "photography permitted in this area only." If that sign is still there, the legality of photography there is pretty cut-and-dried.

Yes, the signs are still there. It would be great if the information on these signs were also displayed on the other side of the fence because clearly there are some uninformed people working at MIA that like to police people. I had a run-in at The Holes last year with a guy in an ops vehicle and last month I was taking shots when a lady in an ops vehicle noticed me as she was driving past, stopped, turned the vehicle around and parked on the other side of the road with the vehicle lights flashing monitoring for several minutes what I was doing. I just left because I got fed up with it and it was shortly before sunset.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 2):
Where are the fence holes at MIA?

It's beside the customs building on NW 25th St just south of Runway 12 threshold.

scbriml

Tue May 12, 2015 6:16 am

Quoting greenjet (Reply 5):
It's beside the customs building on NW 25th St just south of Runway 12 threshold.

OK, thanks.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

meneses24

Wed May 13, 2015 1:32 pm

https://www.google.co.cr/maps/@25.79...0.3014025,621m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The spot is pretty much right of the 25th St. I went last june and it was damped and almost impossible to spot from there. Also be aware that you can´t leave your car next to the spot. I went in 2008 and had a great time spotting but I wasn´t driving, not sure about where we left the car.
The crate? The quality of the crate matters little, success depends upon the man who sits on it...

krawczyn
Topic Author

Wed May 13, 2015 11:33 pm

Quoting greenjet (Reply 5):
I was taking shots when a lady in an ops vehicle noticed me as she was driving past, stopped, turned the vehicle around and parked on the other side of the road with the vehicle lights flashing monitoring for several minutes what I was doing

This is almost exactly what happened to me. The lady also told me should would wait until I left.

scbriml

Thu May 14, 2015 2:37 pm

Quoting krawczyn (Reply 8):
The lady also told me should would wait until I left.

1 - I doubt anyone can be paid to do that for any length of time.

2 - Why not go away for ten minutes and then return?

I'm a stubborn old git, so I'd be pretty determined to wait her out.

vikkyvik

Thu May 14, 2015 2:51 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 9):

1 - I doubt anyone can be paid to do that for any length of time.

2 - Why not go away for ten minutes and then return?

Or...

3 - Let her sit there, wasting her time, while you continue to snap away.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

scbriml

Thu May 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 10):
3 - Let her sit there, wasting her time, while you continue to snap away.

Yes. I'd assumed that she'd parked in the most inconvenient place in an effort to prevent photography.

Anyway, I'd be pretty annoyed if I'd gone all the way to MIA for someone like that to try and stop me.

727LOVER

Thu May 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Just curious.....was Obama or Biden coming in that day?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.