Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gasman
Topic Author

Processing Software

Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:19 am

What are people using these days? Photoshop or Lightroom?

vikkyvik

RE: Processing Software

Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:39 am

Quoting gasman (Thread starter):
What are people using these days? Photoshop or Lightroom?

Seems to be a decent mix between PS, PS Elements, and LR.

I have both PS and LR on my computer, but I still use PS.

miamivice

Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:15 am

I use Photoshop CS6 and I'm quite satisfied. Two years ago I used also Lightroom but I found it a bit complicated and I returned to Photoshop. I heard many people now is using also Google Nik Collection and they are quite happy. I'm thinking to try this suite in the coming future.

NZ107

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:24 am

LR as an initial processor then I finish it off in PS.

comairguycvg

Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:57 pm

I have CS5 and PS Elements 6. Never used LR. What can LR do that CS5/Elements can not? I've been thinking of trying out LR.

jderden777

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:50 pm

LR4 + CS6 for me. Using both has been a nice combo. I have collections for easy cataloging in LR, and use it for the majority of my editing workflow, save for resizing and final sharpening which I do after exporting to CS6.

vikkyvik

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:54 pm

Quoting comairguycvg (Reply 4):
What can LR do that CS5/Elements can not?

I think people like it mostly for its tagging/cataloging functions. Helps to organize your photos and make them easily searchable.

At least, that's my understanding.

waketurbulence

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:15 am

Lightroom edits RAW capture in the same method as Adobe Camera Raw. For me that is around 90% of the editing workflow when uploading to A.net. I generally level, check for dust, and adjust black/white point, shadow/highlight, contrast, white balance, picture style, capture sharpening, and noise reduction. This leaves me with a good jumping off point. Theoretically it should also help narrow down any re-edits from new rejection reasons (not always the case) as you don't have to start from the original capture again. On top of that I tag, keyword, use collections, edit folders, make virtual copies, color code, star rate, and basically catalog all my photography.

Photoshop is mainly used for resize and output sharpening as it is much more refined than Lightroom. Photoshop can also balance more accurately than the 50% gray eyedropper in Lightroom, layer sharpen if needed, and level a photo more precisely as you can zoom in while using the tool (you can also use ruler lines as well). Photoshop is way more powerful, but not really used for A.net, at least for me. I will edit landscape and other types of photos more heavily with PS by using multiple exposure blend layers, "Blend If" techniques, cloning/healing, complex selections based on luminosity, etc. I also use PS for panoramas and some HDR, but the newest LR has that built in now which I haven't tried.

I've been meaning to ask, does anyone ONLY use LR for photos here? If so, how do you accurately output sharpen before upload?
-Matt

Gasman
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:24 am

Quoting waketurbulence (Reply 7):
I've been meaning to ask, does anyone ONLY use LR for photos here? If so, how do you accurately output sharpen before upload?

I do. But my rejection rate is up around 80%

dazbo5

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:50 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 8):
I do. But my rejection rate is up around 80%

Don't worry, that's not uncommon on here these days! I'm more than happy to take a look at a photo and go through my workflow with you if you want to contact me via my profile? Post-processing should be the easy bit, you should only be making small adjustments in post to prepare it for upload. If you need to spend more than a couple of minutes on a photo, it may be exposure related? Happy to take a look anyway.

Darren

Joshu

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:16 pm

I started using the A.net editing guide years ago. From there, I have only made very small adjustments. Using smart sharpen really upped my acceptance ratio. In camera raw, I hit the "auto" button and make small adjustments from there. The histogram is nice, but it will always have to pass the eye test. I am using CS5.

GregB145

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:12 pm

Quoting gasman (Reply 8):

Glad to see I'm not the only one. It has been a frustrating process but hopefully its starting to come together after finally getting one accepted!

ckw

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:18 am

Just been playing with the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw (9.1) ... it adds a new effects slider to remove (or add) haze. Pretty effective and impressive - much better (and easier) than the various tricks for doing this with unsharp mask.

Of course it won't do anything for heat waves, but for all those telephoto shots you have where you wished the air had been a bit clearer, this is pretty useful. I think it's also in the latest version of LightRoom.

I'm not sure where A.net would stand on the use of this feature ... unless you went mad with it, I'm not sure use is detectable. Underlying the tool is just some clever sharpening and contrast adjustment, so I guess that still falls withing the rules.

As an aside, this is another example of why shooting RAW is a good idea ... I have pics from years back which are marginal due to haze. This tool may well allow me to go and recover some otherwise good shoots.

Cheers.

Colin