Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Looking For A Good Camera

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:51 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for a good camera to take shots of aircraft from ground level and I am not really sure where to start. Any suggestions
as to what kind of camera I should buy would be appreciated as I am a novice to the world of photography. Would it be better to
start with a slightly used camera or would new be better? I am not too concerned with price as I would rather buy a quality camera
that takes good pictures and lasts a long time then something cheap and flimsy.

Thank you for your responses.

scopedude

RE: Looking For A Good Camera

Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:35 am

It really depends on a lot of things. You're not tight with the budget, but what kind of photography will you do other than shooting aircraft? If you want quality camera, take a look at Nikon D750. It's a full frame camera and has an excellent sensor. As for the lenses, 70-200/2.8 VR2 or 80-400 VR2 is a good start. I personally use Canon (5DSR, 6D) and Fuji (X-T1) with some lenses; 70-300 L, 70-200 L II, and Fujinon 18-55 (for statics) and 55-200. You won't go wrong with any of these cameras.
5DSR, 6D, X-T1, 70-200 IS II, 70-300 L, 18-55, 55-200

trevisan26

Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:21 am

There are hundreds of answers to your question. If you could be more specific, a camera with interchangeable lenses or a superzoom? Low light photography would be important or mainly daylight?

I've been using a cropped censor for years and it was great for my purposes, now I've changed to a full frame and I can say, its a new game, in both image quality and price. The airport you pretend to photograph more can be a decisive factor, in some 200mm ir more than enough, in others 300mm could be the minimum.

About used or new, for sure with the same budget you can get a better equipment used, in this case, be sure to check all the details of the lense/camera body in question.

Well, tell us a few more things  

Cheers

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Quoting scopedude (Reply 1):
Quoting trevisan26 (Reply 2):

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. In regards to your questions:

1). I also plan to take photos of birds and other types of wildlife.

2). I will be doing mainly daylight photography.

3). I plan to take photos at Fort Lauderdale and Miami International Airports mostly during the day. Weather conditions are usually
partly cloudy. At FLL I will be able to get closer to planes taking off and landing then at MIA.

Thanks again for your help.

scopedude

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:28 pm

For your needs, I think Nikon d7200 should be nice - as it has more reach for birds and wildlife. Canon 7D2 is also a good choice because of its AF. I personally prefer Canon's 100-400 Mk2 over Nikon 80-400 VR2 but you won't go wrong with either.
5DSR, 6D, X-T1, 70-200 IS II, 70-300 L, 18-55, 55-200