Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Another Question To Screeners

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:18 pm

I don't want to complain that screening became more hard, - at least I know that I pushing myself to the harder edge by uploading at 1500 px - but now another thing bothered me.

When screener rejects photo, must he check all reasons that prevent it from being added to DB? I mean, if he looks at it and see dust spot, did he check "dirty" reason and screen another, or must he also check "dark", "oversharpened" and "soft" if this photo not a perfect one in this too?

I get photo rejected for dust spot, removed it and get dark rejection. After reedit it was accepted. Now I get level rejection on photo which was reedited after major quality rejection (and level was not in the list). I appealed it, because it was clearly level and no other issues was mentioned and get rejection upholded by HS with "its however level, but it's OS".

I even don't want to discuss is it OS or not, I just want to understand, can we use reject reasons as "there is couple of problems in this photo and otherwise it's OK" and reedit it accordingly? Because otherwise screening process will mean that it must defend this site from our photos and first found reason is enough.

clickhappy

RE: Another Question To Screeners

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:47 pm

Things like 'dark' or 'over sharp ' are subjective, a dust spot isn't.
Also, when you reupload you are working from a fresh copy of the file, perhaps you missed a step?

Either way, you can do a pre-screen in the photo feedback forum, that should help you going forward.

Cheers.

[Edited 2015-09-06 11:49:44]

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:00 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 1):
Things like 'dark' or 'over sharp ' are subjective, a dust spot isn't.

Without using equalize tool it is and I get a lot of rejections (dust and dark corners) at planespotters.net for photos safely get through at A.net because of equalize tool they have implemented right at the queue page  .

Also, when you reupload you are working from a fresh copy of the file, perhaps you missed a step?

In case of dust spot, must I? I just opened ready for upload photo in PS, removed dust spot and reuploaded it.

Either way, you can do a pre-screen in the photo feedback forum

I do when I'm in doubt or if I'm not shure if rejection was right. But question was about screening process and I still hope for some light poured on it.

[Edited 2015-09-06 12:06:49]

clickhappy

Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Not sure why your reply has a wink, I've never heard of the website you mention.

It's crazy you don't start with a fresh copy of a photo. You're just making things tougher on yourself. You might want to read about JPEG compression and how it affects the quality of your photos.

Good luck

vikkyvik

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:48 am

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 3):
It's crazy you don't start with a fresh copy of a photo. You're just making things tougher on yourself. You might want to read about JPEG compression and how it affects the quality of your photos.

You're not wrong, but if the only rejection reason was dirty, then I don't typically start with a fresh copy either. Just open the already existing one, remove the spot(s), and save and re-upload.

I'm more concerned about processing it slightly differently - and ending up with other rejection reasons - than I am about the small amount of compression that will be added. The compression has never been an issue in my memory.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:29 am

I've never heard of the website you mention.

You do if you use FR24.

JPEG compression

If we talking about only dust removing, PS doesn't compress file further on second save, I checked. Also A.net compress uploaded photos up to 50% anyway so its' not concern for me.

If I get only level rejection, I rotate it in LR and then export without altering any other settings, so I can safely assume that no other issues will be added to photo (however rotation affects quality too but it generally doesn't matter as majority of shoots was already rotated at first edit).

alevik

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:57 pm

Just to short cut this debate a bit - the answer is yes, screeners should make sure all applicable rejections reasons are checked for an image. Does this happen 100% of the time? No, of course not. Would we like it to? Yes, of course we would. This has been a subject of discussion many times, and we remind screeners to ensure they reject for all applicable reasons, but there is a human factor and reasons can be missed,.

When an image is reuploaded, we can see that an image with the same reg has been rejected before, we can click a link and look at the rejected images and rejection reasons. However, the photo is screened from scratch and added or rejected with applicable rejection reasons.

The bottom line is, whether the first screener missed rejection reasons or not, the second screener is obligated to reject for them if they are present in the photo.

Pete
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Quoting alevik (Reply 9):
the answer is yes

Thanks for straight and clear answer, Pete.