Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

clickhappy
Topic Author

Changes To The Priority Screening Guidelines

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:40 pm

We have made the decision to make some changes to what qualifies for Priority Screening (PS). The spirit of these changes is being driven by two things; feedback from our users and our objective of trying to be more timely with the delivery of photos that are being discussed in the aviation world. Please keep in mind that there are some pretty big changes and we will be fine tuning these guidelines as we move along. But, it is important to state, the goal is to get more pictures added at a faster cadence.

Here is a summary of the changes:

We will now be offering PS for new cabin shots. If an airline changes its hard product we want those shots added as quickly as possible. This will be done on a first come, first served basis (already implemented).

New reg numbers will be added. This one will be tricky. To start, we are offering this for new frames from these manufactures; Airbus, Antonov, Boeing, Bombardier, Comac, Embrarer, Irkut, Mitsubishi, Tupolev, etc. Hopefully you can see where this list is going; any new Commercial airliner is game. We will need to proactively look for these until people become accustomed to alerting as at the time of upload.

We will also be offering PS screening for new military jets. New schemes, tail flashes, camo, regs, etc will be considered.

First visits of newsworthy aircraft will now be considered for PS. Common sense applies. The recent Airbus A350 tour of North America would be considered newsworthy. The first visit of a Cargoloux 747-8F to Bern wouldn't. First flights and deliveries will also be in-play.

There are a few points I would like you to consider with these changes (in no particular order):

We will be making these changes. This is not a trial run. However, we would welcome your feedback on what we can do to make it better. Once we have system up and running we will look to continue to expand it.

All photos considered for PS will need to meet our quality and motive standards. Obviously this will be addressed on a case-by-case basis (as it currently is). If you grab a photo of a B-2 bomber dropping a weapon on an alien spaceship, and it's a little blurry, that's okay. If you upload a blurry shot of an A350 visiting Atlanta, and 20 other photogs were there, your image will be rejected.

There will always be an element of discussion that will go on internally with some requests. As we push forward with this the guidelines will be adjusted accordingly. We would encourage anyone who has what they consider to be a newsworthy photo to contact us at [email protected]

The worst we can say is no.

A couple of things to note:

Please only send one email if you have multiple reg numbers you would like us to screen.

There will be a few bugs to work out as we do this, please be patient as we sort things out.

Thanks

trevisan26

RE: Changes To The Priority Screening Guidelines

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Another important point is, what will be the criteria for the news banner, which of these will qualify?

I've seen inconsistence with new stickers, some of them get the news banner and others, even bigger, not.

Cheers

dvincent

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Thread starter):
New reg numbers will be added. This one will be tricky. To start, we are offering this for new frames from these manufactures; Airbus, Antonov, Boeing, Bombardier, Comac, Embrarer, Irkut, Mitsubishi, Tupolev, etc. Hopefully you can see where this list is going; any new Commercial airliner is game. We will need to proactively look for these until people become accustomed to alerting as at the time of upload.

Does this mean if an existing frame has a new reg, it gets priority screening? Or should this really be for first of the construction number of the frame? I think it's a good change, probably just needs clarifying.

A frame could have 20 shots in the DB but if it's regged to a new airline or country (e.g. going off-lease or mergers) is that given priority? I know the intent is to get "aircraft not in the DB" into the DB.
From the Mind of Minolta

geocan

Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:08 am

In the above statement, "any new Commercial airliner is game", light aircraft and business jets manufacturers (Cessna, Beech, Cirrus, Piper, Gulfstream, etc) are not listed. Is the intention that initially these types will be excluded and may only be considered at a later date?
Thanks.
George

[Edited 2015-09-21 17:12:51]

ThierryD

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:44 am

Thanks for the update on this, Royal. That is a good move imo.

New reg numbers will be added. This one will be tricky. To start, we are offering this for new frames

Just to clarify: PS only for new frames or also for any new regs of airliners?

First flights and deliveries will also be in-play.

Could you please clarify this? Does this only mean e.g. the delivery of a new aircraft type to a company or any delivery of a new aircraft to its homebase?

However, we would welcome your feedback on what we can do to make it better.

I know this is out of the screeners' hands and you might have brought up a similar request already with DM but I believe it would be a good thing to introduce a standard form for priority screening requests instead of the emailing system. That form could be attached to the normal upload page. It would save the uploader time but also the screeners as they'll have an easier time finding the photo. This would be especially useful when the number of priority requests increase after this change.

Regards,

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

clickhappy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:30 pm

To keep it simple we will screen all new reg numbers, regardless of it being a 'used' example.

We may add Biz Jets in the future, but for now we will go with what we have set-up. I don't think we will ever offer it for GA aircraft, outside of new types.

Any delivery would qualify. The idea is to get newsworthy items added quicker, in order to do so we need to cast a wide net.

It is pretty easy for us to find a photo by searching for the reg number, but I am sure Paul will have seen your ideas and can act on them as necessary.

johnr

Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:07 am

Is the priority screening system not working at the moment? I uploaded a photo over 24 hours ago about a fairly significant event in the Australian Airline industry and have so far heard nothing. Soon it will no longer be newsworthy so it won't matter. But if the shot was not good enough would the applicable screener have sent me an email letting me know?
Regards.

clickhappy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:49 pm

We have not received any email regarding anything Australian. If you are having trouble with the priority email address please use the regular screener email address.

Thanks

trevisan26

Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Royal,
I've asked something, why no answer? Even if "its been discussing within screeners and we'll soon answer that definitely".

Quoting trevisan26 (Reply 1):

Another important point is, what will be the criteria for the news banner, which of these will qualify?
I've seen inconsistence with new stickers, some of them get the news banner and others, even bigger, not.
Cheers

clickhappy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:14 pm

We generally don't do banners for small stickers. There is no rule about what the minimum size is to qualify for a banner, but we discuss it as a group and come to a decision. We look at size, color, placement, etc.

The opening up of the PS guidelines has no effect on the current news banner guidelines, which will stay as they currently are.