Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

parmelbe
Topic Author

Shooting In RAW Absolutely Necessary?

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:17 pm

I've read in several places that to get the most possible light and color data it is essential to make sure that you are capturing images in RAW. I am currently editing in GIMP because I don't have the extra income for PS and GIMP does not have the ability to edit RAW files. I have been cropping, rotating, removing dust spots, and adjusting colors in Apple's Photos, the new version of which has some great tools to do these things. Then I export the files to GIMP as JPEG's where I then resize, sharpen, etc.

Even though I set my JPEG conversions, scaling, and exports to the highest possible quality, I have been getting pretty horrendous compression. I set the pixels per inch when resizing to the highest possible value while still remaining under 1MB. Could this be the problem?

At what point in the format conversions. resizing, etc. could the compression be occurring? Would it help to simply shoot in JPEG so that I can do all of the editing in one program?

For reference I am using a Sony a6000 mirrorless. The RAW photos look quite good when viewed in Photos, even zoomed in at 200%.
ALL views and opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those of Southwest Airlines

Kaphias

RE: Shooting In RAW Absolutely Necessary?

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Quoting parmelbe (Thread starter):
I set the pixels per inch when resizing to the highest possible value while still remaining under 1MB.

Pixels per inch has nothing to do with photos viewed digitally. The only thing that matters is the pixel resolution (ex. 1024x768) and the JPEG compression, usually expressed as a percentage (you should always export at 100%).

Would it help to simply shoot in JPEG so that I can do all of the editing in one program?

Probably. Saving a file multiple times is a good way to introduce more compression. Perhaps someone who works in GIMP will be able to offer an idea of their workflow for you.

vikkyvik

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:20 pm

Quoting Kaphias (Reply 1):
I set the pixels per inch when resizing to the highest possible value while still remaining under 1MB.

Pixels per inch has nothing to do with photos viewed digitally. The only thing that matters is the pixel resolution (ex. 1024x768) and the JPEG compression, usually expressed as a percentage (you should always export at 100%).

I've never touched the pixels per inch settings in Photoshop or Canon DPP.

Would it help to simply shoot in JPEG so that I can do all of the editing in one program?

It shouldn't. After all, if you shoot JPEG, all that means is that your camera is doing the RAW-to-JPEG conversion internally.

At what point in the format conversions. resizing, etc. could the compression be occurring?

I'd imagine during the saving process, but to be honest I haven't dealt with this particular issue.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Depends on what you are shooting and what you want to do with it. If the scene doesn't demand a high dynamic range jpg is adequate. If you want to do lot of edits raw would be better. For aviation stuff jpg should be fine.

seahawk

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:27 am

I shoot jpg most of the time. When the conditions are good the jpgs are good enough. Use RAW in bad light or when using high ISO, if you are shooting base ISO in sunny conditions RAW is not going to give you much, if you are able to get the exposure correct.

For non important shootings (just aviation for my pleasure and no rare plane) I use jpg, because it forces me to keep sharp with the exposure settings. Something which also helps when using RAW.

megatop412

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:41 pm

I shot RAW for a little bit and didn't see much improvement in my shots, I used DxO software. Decided it was too time consuming to do RAW editing AND jpeg editing for the little bit of better noise control it was giving me. Went back to jpegs only and am very happy.

iamlucky13

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:58 am

No, RAW is not absolutely necessary, especially if your exposure and white balance settings are correct, but if you are making significant changes in color balance or brightness, it becomes practically necessary. I'm almost always shoot RAW just in case, but usually I could get away with JPG's.

I also never touch the pixels per inch setting.

As far as workflow goes:

I personally use UFRAW (one of a few free Windows (originally Linux) RAW converters) to do those basic adjustments and sometimes a rough curves adjustment on my RAW file (important because of GIMP's 8bit color channel limit - to be improved once GIMP 3 comes out). Then I save the file in TIF format, which is lossless. The files are large, but storage is cheap. I then open it in GIMP and depending on what's needed, do leveling, cropping, fine curves adjustment, saturation, dust spot removal, noise reduction, and sharpening.

I then resave the TIF so I have a full size, uncompressed copy of my edited file (in addition to my original RAW file).

Lastly, I scale the picture down to the final size I want to use, and save a copy as JPEG. If I'm going to upload to A.net, I save it at 100% quality level. It is only at this point that I actually check the file size. If I'm sharing it elsewhere, I usually save it at 80-90% quality level, which is enough to prevent compression artifacts from being visible without intense scrutiny.

I do my this resize operation with the Image > Scale Image tool, and only adjust the width and height, with the units set to pixels.

mjgbtv

Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:24 pm

I almost always capture only JPEG's and I edit in GIMP. Have you tried the Sinc option for the Interpolation setting when you scale? It may not be compression but I find that the others don't work as well, at least for typical A.Net images.