Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sezer
Topic Author

AYT Vs. IST: Spotting In Winter Season

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi,

I am having the chance going to AYT or IST for one day. So, I will go there for one day and continue my journey. In spite of the winter season, which of these airports would offer more and interesting traffic?

Fly-K

RE: AYT Vs. IST: Spotting In Winter Season

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:35 pm

AYT is pretty much dead in winter. IIRC even one terminal is more or less closed.
IST is much less seasonal.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

Bogac

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:59 pm

If you go to IST for spotting, you'll most probably be spotting at the shopping mall, Flyinn. You'll be in the balcony and when cold, you'll have a lot of options for hot beverages or food.  

AYT would be much warmer but as far as I know, you'll be out in the open.

ptrjong

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:53 pm

Hello Bogac,

Is there an outside balcony at the Flyinn shopping mall these days? No glass?   
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Miguel1982

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:32 pm

No glass, and just a four-lane road away from the main departure runway. Without any doubt the most comfortable spotting point I have ever seen.

ptrjong

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:43 pm

Quoting Miguel1982 (Reply 4):

Hi Miguel,

I know the place, but a few years ago there was only the glass wall of the food court to take photos through.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter de Jong

They were adding a building (parking garage?) back then, is the balcony there maybe? Sounds superb indeed.

There was also a rooftop terrace at a flying school nearby, but it was not really public and I don't suppose you are referring to that.

Thanks,

Peter 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Miguel1982

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:13 pm

From the food court at the Flyinn, you can freely access the outdoor terrasse. There, there's a small glass "wall" that is only a meter tall or so. Higher than that, there is no obstruction whatsoever. You can see it here, right below the "FlyInn" sign:

https://goo.gl/maps/A2mtYKfRiQT2

I think I have seen photos taken from the rooftop of a building just across the street from the Flyinn - I got to that conclussion after seeing how the perspective over the terminal and the parked planes was slightly different than that of my shots taken from the FlyInn - but I don't think that building is open to public. Also, no idea about that parking you mention.

Cheers,

Miguel