TimRees
Topic Author

Should I Be Flattered? Use Of My Picture By MAI

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:57 pm

I was recently travelling in Myanmar and just happened to use the MAI lounge in RGN,
The walls are decorated with pictures of Burma Airways aircraft, the predecessor to MAI. To my amazement amongst the photographs I saw myself looking at my photograph of Burma Airways F28-1000 XY-ADU photographed by me at SIN in August 1985 and accepted by a,net. (Photo ID 1130519).
The a,net banner had been neatly chopped off the bottom and there was no credit given to me as the photographer.
I suspect MAI didn't think in a million years I would walk into that lounge and come face to face with my photograph without credit. I was flattered that they'd used my photograph but felt it was wrong of them not to give credit as the ethic of a,net is at least to ask photographers for permission to use photographs! I have had my images used multiple times in numerous publications and I have never withheld consent. I felt that al least MAI could have asked!
I suppose this happens often - bas anyone else 'walked into their photographs' when least expecting to? How did you react and did you take it further? I don't plan on pursuing this further but thought it might make an interesting topic for conversation.

AR385

RE: Should I Be Flattered? Use Of My Picture By MAI

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:13 am

Could you provide the picture in question?  

vatveng

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:20 am

He sort of did...

Quoting TimRees (Thread starter):
To my amazement amongst the photographs I saw myself looking at my photograph of Burma Airways F28-1000 XY-ADU photographed by me at SIN in August 1985 and accepted by a,net. (Photo ID 1130519).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tim Rees

thekorean

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:20 am

I suppose there is no way to get them to PAY you to use it.

CplKlinger

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:21 am

Never mind, someone else beat me too it and I flubbed the formatting.

[Edited 2015-11-23 16:21:59]

zkokq

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:32 am

Quoting CplKlinger (Reply 4):

I would be sending a letter of demand.

hz747300

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:43 am

I would request free lounge access at MAI for a minimum of five years, or you'll take down the photo on your next visit and replace it with a portrait of Gordon Brown.
Keep on truckin'...

marosbts

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:03 am

To be honest, I always am sad to see when someone is using photos without aprooval from the photographer. I am running an aviation web site myself and am an active spotter. It takes time, energy and money to make good photos of aircraft. And I am investing this because I want to provide quality content on my web. It sets me up, when I then see someone just downloading my content and using it as their own on some facebook page.

While I at least have "some" understanding when some fanboy uses it, I would have zero understanding when an airline or some media outlet do it. Those are usually organizations, which can afford to pay for the usage of the photo, even if it would be some symbolic amount or some sort of in kind compensation (e.g. free ticket, visit to the cockpit, promo material of the airline in exchange etc.). If I would be you, I would definetly contact the airline and at least ask for explanation, ask them to either give credits, provide some kind of compensation or take down that image.

Moose135

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:09 pm

You should be flattered that they wanted to use your photo - you should also request compensation for that use!
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

n797mx

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:25 pm

I've seen one of my photos used by my flight school where they did not ask. I've gotten a few messages otherwise for use, always willing to let people use it if they ask first. Always give a higher resolution too.

I've even been asked to be in the Smithsonian Magizine! Unfortunately it was of the 787, which then had the battery issues so the article was never printed...  
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

TimRees
Topic Author

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Thanks for the replies. Myanmar was an amazing country and fascinating. I was on my return journey to BKK with Bangkok Airways when I paid to use the MAI lounge as there was no priority pass lounge at the airport. So it was a real random chance I saw my photo. I agree that an airline should know better than to have used photos without giving credit to the photographer! I suspect the many other photos on the wall were from the same source!

I somehow think I won't be returning to Myanmar anytime soon even though I'd love to! Getting free access to the MAI lounge won't be that useful. But I agree that an airline should know better than to do this - even if it is Myanmar. I suspect it was an innocent mistake but it should be pointed out to them that they are breaking copyright law. I might drop them a line but don't expect a reply!

Perhaps I should just be flattered.

G-CIVP

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:49 pm

As for any sort of compensation, what's the most you would receive? I would hazard a guess, not alot. I know there's principle involved but I don't think it is worth getting stressed about. Instead, I would just admire the effort they went to get print and mount your photo.

[Edited 2015-11-24 13:50:30]

badgervor

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:56 pm

A bit off topic..but does anyone know what happened to the feature on a.net where you could purchase framed photos on here? I would love to have some nice framed pictures from here, but want to go about it through the right channels.

KELPkid

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:09 pm

Hey, I see the a.net header photo on a PDX airport shuttle almost every morning on my way to work...   IIRC, it is one of the rental car company's shuttle to their off-site lot.

But, seriously? You expect copyright compliance in an Asian country that's been fairly isolated from the outside world until recently? Good luck on that   Some Asian countries, like China, are pretty dodgy on copyright and patent issues as it is...they only enforce the laws when the Western world is looking and makes a stink.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

sandyb123

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:43 pm

Breach of copyright.

You are legally within your rights to invoice a 'reasonable fee' which is time linked. For example you could license the image for their use for say, $400 a year. Depending on how long it has been there for that could quickly become profitable.

Although filing a claim and getting paid are two different things, especially given the international relationship between you and the breach.

Do you have a picture of the picture in-situ? I'd fire off an email and see what happens. Good luck!

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

BC77008

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 pm

if the picture was that important then maybe not put it on the internet?
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

TimRees
Topic Author

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 pm

Yes I took a picture of my image in situ for the record! I'd post it here but not sure how to do that!

seat55a

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:09 am

Send them a friendly note and see what they offer. What harm can it do? At least they should give credit.

Wikipedia suggests Myanmar has no formal copyright law or at least is not a signatory/participant in international conventions.

ASFlyer

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:00 am

I'm not sure I see the problem. It looks like photography is a hobby for you? If so, be flattered that they thought enough of your photo to use it and it's being seen by thousands of other people. What's going to come from asking them to take it down or pay you for it's use? How much do you realistically expect to get from them if you ask for payment? What if they say no?

Spiderguy252

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:37 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 18):
What's going to come from asking them to take it down or pay you for it's use? How much do you realistically expect to get from them if you ask for payment? What if they say no?

I'd sue them. There's nothing much to lose.
Vahroone

richcandy

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:55 am

Quoting Spiderguy252 (Reply 19):
I'd sue them. There's nothing much to lose

Yes but he might end up paying for the cost of lawyers etc when there is "likely" little to no chance that the airport would ever pay up.

SQ772

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:22 am

If all other avenues to seek compensation for the use of your photo fail, you could whip out a black marker pen and sign your name on the photo the next time you are in the lounge...
There's always a better way to fly...

WIederling

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:41 pm

Quoting TimRees (Reply 16):

Prepare a sticker that names you as copyright holder and afix it to the image next time ?
Or just ask them to do it for you?

Attribution is probably more worth than overfeeding a lawyer in expectation of money getting metabolized out of it.
Murphy is an optimist