Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zachary165
Topic Author

Museum Shots

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:49 pm

I intend on going to Wright Patterson AFB in a couple days with a friend and am wondering how to get nice shots of preserved aircraft. Also, Will crowds cause a motive rejection and can I edit out the crowds in PS?

ptrjong

RE: Museum Shots

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:04 pm

Quoting zachary165 (Thread starter):
am wondering how to get nice shots of preserved aircraft.

By taking lots of time to find the best angles. If you really want to take good photos, you'd probably better leave your friend at home, unless he can drive off the crowds for you.

can I edit out the crowds in PS?

scbriml

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:19 pm

If the museum allows use of a tripod, then for indoor exhibits it's worth using one and as low ISO as you can. The lighting in many museums is very poor.

Will crowds cause a motive rejection

Only if they're obstructing the aircraft. No problem if they're in the background.

can I edit out the crowds in PS?

That would be against site rules.

Moose135

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:36 pm

Patience is a virtue - if you go on a day with smaller crowds, and don't mind waiting a bit, you can get some decent shots. Also, the USAF museum is very photographer friendly, even encouraging the use of tripods, one of the few museums where I've seen that.

http://www.moose135photography.com/Airplanes/Air-Museums/USAF-Museum/i-DCFfns8/0/L/JM_2007_11_13_USAF_Museum_001-L.jpg

[Edited 2015-12-18 11:37:07]

brettkp

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:13 pm

If tripods are allowed then you could use a neutral density filter with a very long shutter speed to remove people from the photo. That really only works if they're moving. I would expect that this approach is not against the rules, but I've not tested it.

Cheers,
Brett

kann123air

Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:24 am

in a couple days with a friend

I happen to be this friend.  
Quoting ptrjong (Reply 1):
you'd probably better leave your friend at home

Please, no! I want to go to Wright-Patterson!  
Quoting Moose135 (Reply 3):
USAF museum is very photographer friendly, even encouraging the use of tripods

Great to know.

Quoting brettkp (Reply 4):
very long shutter speed to remove people from the photo. That really only works if they're moving.

Great idea.

I would expect that this approach is not against the rules, but I've not tested it.

I don't think it would be against the rules. Ramp shots with blurred workers are allowed, so I don't see why a similar shot such as this wouldn't be.

(edited for grammar)

Thanks for the tips,
Amrit

[Edited 2015-12-18 18:29:20]

dendrobatid

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:50 am

If the camera is going to be on a solid tripod, use your lowest ISO and stop the lens down well, f8 or f11 for a good depth of field. Minimise the number of lights in the frame as they can often lead to flare and sometimes moving your position very slightly can avoid them. A lens hood is important too as in a museum you will often have bright lights just outside the frame and it is very easy to miss any flare .....until you get home ! Either use the self timer or a cable release to avoid the camera moving slightly as you press the shutter - they can be found cheaply on e-bay.

Mick Bajcar

vzlet

Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:03 pm

Just take a look at the hundreds of already accepted shots from there to see what is feasible. The museum can be busy, but "crowds" are not really an issue. Enjoy, it's probably the best museum in the world!

ptrjong

Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Quoting kann123air (Reply 5):
I happen to be this friend.
Quoting ptrjong (Reply 1):
you'd probably better leave your friend at home

Please, no! I want to go to Wright-Patterson!

My point was of course that you need quite a serious mindset to make good photos in an indoor museum, paying a lot of attention to details, and that it's not going to be much fun for the friend if he's not a photographer.

Quoting kann123air (Reply 5):
very long shutter speed to remove people from the photo. That really only works if they're moving.

Great idea.

I would expect that this approach is not against the rules, but I've not tested it.

I don't think it would be against the rules. Ramp shots with blurred workers are allowed, so I don't see why a similar shot such as this wouldn't be.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter de Jong

Of course you can use any shutter speed you want. You can see the effect here on the left. In practice, though, I don't think youl'll want to make shutter speeds longer than they already need to be.

Peter 

scbriml

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:03 pm

Quoting vzlet (Reply 7):
it's probably the best museum in the world!

*cough* Pima Air & Space *cough*

vzlet

Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:57 pm

Well, I did include a qualifier! I've never been to Pima (but not because I don't want to!), and I would think that any time-limited visit there would be as frustrating as one at NMUSAF, but Dayton has some true wonders:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Carlisle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Carlisle

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Carlisle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Carlisle

etc., etc.

ThierryD

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:31 am

The Dayton museum is very photographer friendly. As others have already mentioned, the use of a tripod is not an issue and you'll need one if you want to get the best of your photography there.
I've visited the museum twice and crowds have never been a major problem as the museum is huge and the crowds disperse well, which doesn't mean of course that you don't have to wait a couple minutes here and there to get the desired unobstructed view.

If you want to cover all the exhibits do plan 2 whole days as one single day simply isn't enough.

Apart from other equipment, already mentioned above, you might want to consider taking a long lens. The museum is big and allows the use of long lenses which enable you to get some more interesting angles than the usual wide angle 3/4 one.

Last advice: over all the photographing, don't forget to actually enjoy the rarities you'll be able to see there.  

Have fun!

Thierry

CcrlR

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:17 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 3):
Patience is a virtue - if you go on a day with smaller crowds, and don't mind waiting a bit, you can get some decent shots. Also, the USAF museum is very photographer friendly, even encouraging the use of tripods, one of the few museums where I've seen that.

That is good to know. If you get another chance to go after this one, they will have the new hangar open with all the aircraft from the Research & Development facility in one place instead of having to take a bus ride to the Air Force Base to visit that hangar. That will be open this June 2016(Check their Facebook page for information on aircraft movements and when it should open to the public once the aircraft move is done).

I know you may not get another chance in a long time but just to keep your hopes up. I am waiting for the hangar to be finished before visiting. I've heard on here and from other people I know who visited say they like it. You will enjoy it!

vzlet

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:49 pm

Early arrivals in the new hangar:
http://media.defense.gov/2015/Oct/27/2001309272/670/394/0/151027-F-DW547-008.JPG

Le8cam9lo

Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:57 am

Really superbe !!!

jdando

Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Any update on the trip?

I recently spent the entire day there. A fabulous museum with great aircraft and friendly staff.

Bring a tripod, be patient, look for the creative angles.

I brought my camera bag and shot everything from 10mm to 300mm.

And don't forget to Brrrrrrt.

kann123air

Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:16 pm

Quoting jdando (Reply 15):
Any update on the trip?

We got some great shots! The crowd was very sparse, making photography extremely easy. Spent the whole day there. I will post some pictures soon.

Quoting jdando (Reply 15):
A fabulous museum with great aircraft and friendly staff.

Amrit