Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brick
Topic Author

What To Do Retired DSLRs?

Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:51 pm

So I have a Canon 20D that has been sitting in my closet idle for a couple of years. I would like to get rid of it, but recent completed sales on Ebay for this camera barely top $50 which may not be enough for me to go through the hassle of selling something on the internet. Selling it to a company that buys used cameras yields an offer of $25. I’m not interested in dealing with Craigslist. I can’t give it away to friends or family as they do not have Canon lenses to use with it. I hate to just throw my Canon 20D away (it will go through electronic recycling and not in the trash), but with most electronic devices it just doesn’t have any value.

What do you do with your obsolete camera bodies?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

ACDC8

RE: What To Do Retired DSLRs?

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:48 pm

A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

vikkyvik

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:56 pm

Quoting Brick (Thread starter):
I’m not interested in dealing with Craigslist.

Why not? It's ridiculously easy, and you might be able to get $100 for it.

Quoting Brick (Thread starter):
What do you do with your obsolete camera bodies?

Gave my Rebel XS to my girlfriend. My 50D body is still sitting in my apartment. It'll go in the trash eventually, as some controls don't really work anymore.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Silver1SWA

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:36 am

Any interest in time-lapse photography? You could go wild shooting time-lapses without fear of burning through shutter clicks on a newer, more valuable camera. That's what I do with my old 40D.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Joshu

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:24 am

I am a high school teacher and I know our photo classes have been looking for old DSLRs.
Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group

Stealthz

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:28 am

I lent one of my 60D to my brother... seems a perfectly efficient way of getting rid of a camera! Don't seem likely to be getting it back!!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

miamivice

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:19 am

Having said that I still use old enough material, because I am fond of Olympus and I have not decided what to replace it with, I still use my first DSLRs. So in my "career" I retired just one camera: a second-hand bought Olympus E-3 that suffered damage to the shutter and whose repair costs were higher than the value of the same camera.
I decided to try to sell it through eBay and I was able to make a good deal selling it to a dealer who was looking for a camera body to cannibalize for spare parts.

[Edited 2015-12-30 01:20:11]
Carlo

"Your task is not to foresee the future, but to enable it."

(Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

dvincent

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:12 pm

It is better to sell cameras in a routine churn within a few years as far as primary bodies go. Resale values on digital cameras have nowhere to go but down.

On the other hand you could convert the body to an IR sensitive body, which might yield some unique photo opportunities.
From the Mind of Minolta