Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tankdiver
Topic Author

Paine Field (PAE) Take Off And Landing Schedule

Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:16 am

I'm going to be in Seattle next month and planning on spending a whole day around Paine Field and the Future of Flight center. I want to know if there is a schedule for Boeing flight testing take off and landings?

I was there a few years back and went on the Boeing factory tour and then after spent about 2 hours at the Future of Flight center. In the 2 hours I was there, I did not see even one take off and landing. I would say it was a rather boring place for plane spotting! Other than the aircraft that was on the Boeing flight line, there wasn't anything going on. I rather have a schedule to see a specific aircraft and be there when it takes off or land. Anything info would be greatly appreciated!

iamlucky13

RE: Paine Field (PAE) Take Off And Landing Schedule

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:19 am

An official schedule? Not that I know of.

I wish I could challenge you on your statement that it's a boring place for spotting, but there's simply not a high volume of flights here. There's usually a couple narrowbodies flying in and out of Aviation Technical Services each day, a couple widebody test or delivery flights each day, and an average of about 1 Dreamlifter flight a day. That makes it easy to go 2 hours without seeing anything other than general aviation aircraft.

My best advice is to take a look at the airport history on Flightaware or another flight tracking site to get a feel for a typical day at Paine Field. There's scheduled departures and arrivals on there, too, but usually only a few hours ahead of time, and not always accurate.
http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KPAE

If you can view flightaware on a smartphone, one option would be spend an afternoon down at the Mukilteo waterfront, or else at either the Historic Flight, Flying Heritage Collection, or Museum of Flight Restoration Center facilities, and then go back to the Future of Flight when you see something interesting listed as a schedule arrival/departure.

KPWMSpotter

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:57 am

Quoting iamlucky13 (Reply 1):
If you can view flightaware on a smartphone, one option would be spend an afternoon down at the Mukilteo waterfront, or else at either the Historic Flight, Flying Heritage Collection, or Museum of Flight Restoration Center facilities, and then go back to the Future of Flight when you see something interesting listed as a schedule arrival/departure.

Agreed. Paine Field may not have a ton of flight activities, but the variety of traffic is great, and you can't beat the museums on the field.

Personally, I would skip Future of Flight (the museum only, the parking lot is still a great spotting location) and head to the Flying Heritage Collection, Museum of Flight Restoration, and Historic Flight Foundation. All three have awesome collections of vintage aircraft (Paul Allen's Flying Heritage especially so).

If PAE is landing to the north, there's an additional spotting location at the airport fence, near the Historic Flight Center. Similar views to the Future of Flight parking lot, but on the other side of the field.
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

Tankdiver
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks for the advice!

The last time I was there it was in the month of February, so it was freezing outside. We were in the Future of Flight Center and up on the stratodeck for a quite a bit freezing out butts off and saw no take off or landing. We even sat in the car parked at the fence of the Hilton parking lot and also saw nothing. With the tons of videos on youtube of takeoff and land this airport, you would think they have one every 10minutes! LOL...

But I will check out those places you guys mentioned!

zkokq

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:32 am

Get a chopper and overfly the place.

Best $500 I spent. I got a photo of every boeing aircraft at the field. I was there for 3 days and only saw a handful of movements.