User avatar
Kaphias
Topic Author
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Trying to get back into the swing of things here... been over a year since I last edited/uploaded anything. I'd appreciate any feedback on this variety of shots. Also looking for any tips for editing in Adobe CameraRAW, particularly regarding sharpening and noise reduction. Thanks!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
 
len90
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:03 pm

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:30 am

First one: Motive is the only thing I'm not sure about with that composition
Horizon: Oversharp and might be a bit blurry at the rear half of the fuselage
FedEx feeder: Low contrast
Alaska 737: Looks to be some motion blur, visible on the windows above the registration, and the rear door. Might be dark and low contrast as well
Ward Air 53: Dark and grainy
Ward Air 58: slight CW rotation
Len90
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 6819
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:37 am

Beech18: looks really nice, I would accept that in a heartbeat.
Dash8: marginal, but passable
C208: marginal, blurryish
B737: blurry, flat
DHC2: marginal, underexposed, blurry, quality
DHC2: passable
 
User avatar
Kaphias
Topic Author
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Belated thanks Len and Kas for your help... great to be back sharing photos here after a long break.



I'd like some help regarding a few rejections:

Initially rejected for underexposed, reuploaded (with fixes) and rejected for over sharpened and banding. I'm really struggling to see the banding, and I believe I see some jaggies on the stripes at the far left of frame... anywhere else?
Image

Initially rejected for underexposed, reuploaded (with fixes) and rejected for blurry, compression, and underexposed. Thoughts? I'll try a smaller size, but I'm editing from the RAW file every time... compression would seem strange. First time trying cabin shots and it's a bit tricky.
Image

Finally, this was rejected for dark, overexposed, soft, and low contrast. No saving this one probably, but any suggestion for these kind of shots in the future? I don't have a flash besides the crappy onboard.
Image

Thanks!
 
User avatar
jelpee
Screener
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:34 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:42 pm

#1 is passable for me. There is slight banding in the sky (the dark layer at the top of the frame), but I think it is within acceptable limits. I don't see any jaggies that would cause me to reject. You could try an appeal.
#2 seems flat. A slight boost in brightness and contrast should fix that. Slight blurriness is visible (caused by depth of field) on the panel closest to the left side.You could try cropping that part out of the frame. However, there seems to be chromatic aberration (purple fringing) along the window frame especially on the left side. The crop would fix that as well.
#3: The panel is underexposed and the view out of the window is a bit over exposed. And I agree with soft. These are difficult exposures. The only way I have found that provides a balanced exposure is to meter for the outside, preserve that setting in Manual mode (vs. Av or Auto) and then use a flash to illuminate the interior. An TTL setting on the flash should give you a nice exposure inside while the manual aperture setting should give you a good exposure for the outside. The flash should also provide a nice crisp image of the flight deck and panels. Best to use a diffuser on your flash head and angle it up (i.e. bounce it) to avoid any reflection of the flash on the panels.

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 6819
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 am

1) I don't see the banding. The titles are a little on the sharp side. I would crop closer on the sides though (next to the titles and next to the prop).
2) Agree with what Jehan wrote. It's a ncie shot, but technically there may be a little too many small issues.
3) A tough shot without an external flash and unfrotunately not that great in terms of quality, sorry :( The glare on the center console doesn't help either.
 
User avatar
Kaphias
Topic Author
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sat May 19, 2018 10:48 pm

Belated thanks for the help Jehan and Kas.

Looking for something special for #100... are either of these workable?

Image

Image
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 6819
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sun May 20, 2018 4:33 pm

First of all, those photos are LOVELY!
But whether they're for A.net, I'm not sure. The focus seems to be on the outside, with the inside quite blurry (shallow DoF). If I were to consider one of them, I personally prefer the second one (with a tighter crop on the sides). But still no guarantees and honestly I don't like your chances for them :(
 
User avatar
Kaphias
Topic Author
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Mon May 21, 2018 12:14 am

Thanks Kas, I had a feeling the DoF would be a concern.

airkas1 wrote:
First of all, those photos are LOVELY!

:blush:

airkas1 wrote:
But whether they're for A.net, I'm not sure. The focus seems to be on the outside, with the inside quite blurry (shallow DoF). If I were to consider one of them, I personally prefer the second one (with a tighter crop on the sides). But still no guarantees and honestly I don't like your chances for them :(

The second is my favorite too. Because the focus is outside I consider this more of a "window view" rather than a "flight deck" category shot - I understand that typically means cropping out the window frame completely (at least in airliners) but I like the context it provides here. The shallow DoF also artistically serves to direct the viewer's eye to the outside.

Something else... we accept "flaws" in images shot in other challenging conditions (night) and I'd certainly say this was challenging - a 40-odd year old Cessna 150 at 1200ft over Alaska's North Pacific in the 20F December cold, making steep turns above a remote lighthouse while quite literally banging our heads off the ceiling - the memory brings a smile to my face and today's lunch to my mouth at the same time.

And as always, there are precedents (admittedly many are more than a few years old):



 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 6819
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Mon May 21, 2018 12:59 pm

Give the second photo a go, but with an improved crop. I took the liberty of making a small adjustment which I think makes the crop better:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gst4g2uaydznz ... p.jpg?dl=0
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 6819
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:12 pm

Happy to add this one just now :yes:

 
User avatar
Kaphias
Topic Author
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:59 am

airkas1 wrote:
Happy to add this one just now :yes:



Thanks Kas. Greatly appreciate all your help.
 
User avatar
Kaphias
Topic Author
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:09 pm

Couple more, from this week... thoughts? Worried about the reflections on the edges of the frame. Tricky to avoid.

Image

Image
 
User avatar
Kaphias
Topic Author
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:25 am

It's no fun if you don't push the boundaries, right?

Image

20 image stack of 30 second exposures was taken approximately two hours after the crash of the Q400 in Seattle area tonight, it shows rescue aircraft and helicopters circling the crash site. Rejected for motive (presumably because it's a stack, which is daft) and soft.
 
ChrisLait
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:48 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:43 am

Even though rejected, this is a cool picture (even though unfortunately arising out of a bad circumstance)
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 6819
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:46 am

Kaphias wrote:
It's no fun if you don't push the boundaries, right?

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

I'm a little torn, as it's a wonderful photo and definitely newsworthy, but unfortunately we don't allow stacks. Personally I wouldn't mind a good stack, but I'm a minority.
 
User avatar
Kaphias
Topic Author
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:41 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Kaphias wrote:
It's no fun if you don't push the boundaries, right?

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

I'm a little torn, as it's a wonderful photo and definitely newsworthy, but unfortunately we don't allow stacks. Personally I wouldn't mind a good stack, but I'm a minority.

Thanks Kas. I'd love to hear the reasons why the majority think stacks shouldn't be allowed. They're a great tool in aviation photography, especially to show flight paths, traffic patterns, etc. I suppose I could have done a single 10 minute exposure to get essentially the same result and it would have been allowed.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 6819
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Fully agree, but stacks are considered 'overedited' and not single-shot photos. Maybe I'll bring up the topic again on short term.

Kaphias wrote:
I suppose I could have done a single 10 minute exposure to get essentially the same result and it would have been allowed.

Yes and no, because then the foreground would be horribly overexposed I think.
 
User avatar
Kaphias
Topic Author
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:19 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Fully agree, but stacks are considered 'overedited' and not single-shot photos. Maybe I'll bring up the topic again on short term.

I can guarantee you less editing goes into creating a simple stack than most of the high-iso night shots that appear here. Would be nice to have a public discussion on stacks as well so that other photographers can share their thoughts.

airkas1 wrote:
Kaphias wrote:
I suppose I could have done a single 10 minute exposure to get essentially the same result and it would have been allowed.

Yes and no, because then the foreground would be horribly overexposed I think.

Good point, it very much would have been. Was fighting a streetlight to my right.
 
dutchspotter1
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:24 pm

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 am

Kaphias wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
Fully agree, but stacks are considered 'overedited' and not single-shot photos. Maybe I'll bring up the topic again on short term.

I can guarantee you less editing goes into creating a simple stack than most of the high-iso night shots that appear here. Would be nice to have a public discussion on stacks as well so that other photographers can share their thoughts.


IMO it's not about overediting but rather about manipulation; you're presenting several photos as if it were only one photo. Same principle goes for certain panoramic photos: taking several photos and blending them together as one photo. So in order to preserve the authenticity, I'd rather not see these kinds of photos being accepted here.
NO URLS in signature
 
User avatar
Kaphias
Topic Author
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:46 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Kaphias wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
Fully agree, but stacks are considered 'overedited' and not single-shot photos. Maybe I'll bring up the topic again on short term.

I can guarantee you less editing goes into creating a simple stack than most of the high-iso night shots that appear here. Would be nice to have a public discussion on stacks as well so that other photographers can share their thoughts.


IMO it's not about overediting but rather about manipulation; you're presenting several photos as if it were only one photo. Same principle goes for certain panoramic photos: taking several photos and blending them together as one photo. So in order to preserve the authenticity, I'd rather not see these kinds of photos being accepted here.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. My understanding is that your concern is with the method (combining multiple exposures into a single [/I]photograph[/I]) rather than the result (light trails, panoramas, and perhaps HDR while we're at it). I think it's a shame that these results are not seen as authentic, because there's nothing inherently "fake" about them - all the pixels are real.

If any given image is aviation related, of good quality, and has not been altered in such a way that mis-represents reality, why should it not be accepted? This site needs to expand the breadth - not just the depth - of it's database in order to remain relevant and encourage fresh interest in the hobby.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LotmaniaK and 2 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos