DuaneHewitt
Topic Author

Editing Techniques Input

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first submission to A.net. It comes forllowing the British Army's Lynx final flight that I was flying on. The image was rejected for Blurry, Compression, Noise, Soft.. I'm all about trying to get the best from the image. I've been using Lightroom for my photos for a few years now and followed a guideline editing technique that was set out more for tripod mounted scenery photos, and while it does offer satisfactory results, it's potentially not the best result, which is what I'm after here. I was wondering if I could get some feedback as to what people use to edit, and what they tweak to get exceptional photos A.net worthy time after time.
I've a good number of images from this flight, so if it is down to the original unedited image I can change that also.

Many thanks

Duane

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 7e50be81e3

jelpee
Screener

Re: Editing Techniques Input

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi Duane, welcome to airliners.net. You've come to the right place for feedback on photos...the folks here including us screeners are happy to provide input.

Re. your image. I have to agree with the blurry, soft and noise reasons. Additionally, the image could use some additional brightness (check the histogram) as well as some leveling (needs clockwise rotation judging from the light poles which look like they are leaning to the left). You have also uploaded your image at over 1900 wide pixels. At that size, a lot of flaws get magnified. I recommend editing the image after it has been resized to 1200 pixels. As for the blur, it might be that you need a faster shutter speed.EXIF shows 1/250th of a second which I think is too slow for an air-to-air shot with many elements in motion including you and your camera.

As for workflow and tools, I photograph in JPEG use Photoshop Elements 11 for editing. My workflow is: level, crop, resize, brightness, contrast, color (if needed), sharpen (aircraft only), apply noise reduction, check for dust spots and save. I spend no more than 5 minutes per image unless I am editing a night time image.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing you images in the screening queue as well on the site.

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

DuaneHewitt
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Thanks Jehan. I think I've just been lazy and stuck with what I knew. So seeking some changes for the better now. I'll give your suggestions another try on some of the images and see how we get on.

airkas1
Head Screener

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi Duane,

That's a really nice shot and I'd love to see it in the database! I agree with Jehan that's a bit blurry for 1900px wide, however in my humble opinion current cameras should be able to produce fine results at 1400-1600px and that the advise to go down to 1200 is a bit outdated.

Regarding the rest of the photo, I'm OK with the level, and I don't really see excessive noise or compression.
That said, I do agree that it needs a bit more sharpening (due to the blur, but sharpening a blurry photo will give even worse results, so I'd suggest going through the series and pick the best quality vs. composition photo). I also see halos around the gears and there is a dust spot in the sky above the tail rotor of the front helicopter.

If you'd like some help on an edit, shoot me an E-mail at airkas1[at]airliners.net.

scbriml

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi Duane, nice shot.

Just to add a small comment - are you shooting Nikon by any chance? The shot looks quite 'green' which is often seen on Nikons.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

DuaneHewitt
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:28 pm

scbriml wrote:
Hi Duane, nice shot.

Just to add a small comment - are you shooting Nikon by any chance? The shot looks quite 'green' which is often seen on Nikons.

No, Canon. That may be a result of my own editing, but hard to say for sure. I often come back to look at images and see it could be better if this or that. But thanks for another comment to assist.

airkas1 wrote:

If you'd like some help on an edit, shoot me an E-mail at airkas1[at]airliners.net.

Thanks for your comments also. I'll have a look into methods explained. But I shall certainly consider your kind offer. Many thanks.