racerclc
Topic Author

Feedback on First-Ever Photo Submission (Post-Screening)

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Hello everyone,
Recently, I've decided to begin taking pictures of aircraft. About a week ago, I made my first-ever submission to airliners.net:
, setting the aircraft as N103US (AA), setting the airport as KCLT, and setting the caption as:
[This photo was shrunken from it's original size to its current size.] This photo was taken at approximately 10:10 AM EDT. You can see unusually-heavy ground traffic because runways 23 & 36R and a couple of taxiways were temporarily closed for a couple hours right before the photo was taken (due to the yearly CLT Airport Run). The A320 was departing from runway 36C. The photo was taken from KCLT's "Airport Overlook".

However, the photo was rejected for the following reasons:
*Dirty *Distance *Info *Personal Message *Vignetting

Since I'm brand new to posting aviation photos, could I receive some explanation to the reasons why the image was rejected and some advice on solving them? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

fsx98

Re: Feedback on First-Ever Photo Submission (Post-Screening)

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Hello, and welcome to a.net! Here are the reasons why this photo is rejected:
-Dirty: there are dust spots present in your uploaded photo; check for dust spots in PhotoShop by selecting "equalize" under the "Image" menu > Adjustments > Equalize; from there, you can check for any small dark specks or similar dirty spots in your photo.
-Distance: either the photo isn't cropped to the subject (the aircraft) or you are using a lens that doesn't have enough focal length to reach the aircraft, that is, using a lens that doesn't have a good range (example, using a 18-55mm lens that requires a 200m reach)
-Info: some information about the submitted aircraft photo is missing or incorrect, such as date, location of where the photo is taken, and aircraft registration. It would help if you log the aircraft you have spotted or use a flight-tracking app (preferably flightradar24) to get more information about the aircraft (e.g. aircraft registration, flight number, departure city, etc.).
-Personal Message: the screener left you a message in regards to why your photo is rejected in detail.
-Vignetting: there are dark corners in your photo; to fix this in PS, use the Lens Correction tool by selecting Filter > Distort > Lens Correction, or similar (varies by Photoshop version). Under the "vignette" box, you can adjust the amount to make the corners look darker (left) or lighter (right).

Some resources to help get acquainted with editing and uploading photos:

Photo Acceptance Guide (now outdated):
https://www.airliners.net/faq/photo_acceptance_guide/

Editing Guide:
https://www.airliners.net/faq/editing_guide/
Aviation junkie + computer expert!

racerclc
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:41 am

Thanks for your response! Would this crop be alright if I made the focus on the airport and not that specific aircraft? I wanted to have some of the traffic in the background of the picture.

racerclc
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:45 am

Sorry, another question: where can I find the screener's PM? I don't believe that I received any type of notification.

fsx98

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:23 am

racerclc wrote:
Thanks for your response! Would this crop be alright if I made the focus on the airport and not that specific aircraft? I wanted to have some of the traffic in the background of the picture.

From the photo acceptance guide (rules may have changed over time), pictures of airfields (and heliports), including runways, terminal buildings (interior/exterior), and control towers are accepted. However, hangars (if the image also contains an aircraft), office buildings, or any other airport installations (beacons, radar towers, and approach lights) are not accepted. I highly doubt that any photo of an airport as its subject with aircraft in front of the subject would be a good motive.

racerclc wrote:
Sorry, another question: where can I find the screener's PM? I don't believe that I received any type of notification.

You can find the screener's PM in the screening results email of the rejected photo. It would say the following as: "The Screener left a comment regarding this photo:" after a list of reasons on why the photo is rejected.
Aviation junkie + computer expert!

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:59 am

Pretty much all of what victor wrote ^.
For info, you listed the version as "A320-214". With the version, the manufacturer should always be included. So it should be "Airbus A320-214".

As for the airport overview idea, that's not really going to work. Too little airport visible and too much empty space. I appreciate the large queue of aircraft and its rarity, but it's just not going to work, sorry.

racerclc
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Ok, thank you everyone for your responses! I’ll be sure to take all this info into account the next time I upload.