Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

comet1
Topic Author

Senseless reediting/waste of time

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Hi,

I appreciate the voluntary screeners work very much but today I'm a little upset about the screening process by reedits after first rejections.
First rejection with: Oversharpened ,Low Contrast (I can agree!) On February 10,th, 06:05 pm
https://abload.de/img/anareject1kwk7h.jpg

After reediting second rejection on February, 16, 09:34 p.m. with: Underexposed and the following personal message:
"Looks underexposed now. Try using the histogram as a guide--brightness can be increased without impacting the night scene. You may need to add contrast for the additional brightness. Aircraft looks little bit High in Frame as well.
https://abload.de/img/anareject29yjz3.jpg

After reediting again:
Receted with Oversharpened ,Common on March, 09, 10:34 Pm and after appeal that I did exactly what required: additional issue undexposed
https://abload.de/img/anareject3qejq3.jpg

Why espicially suddenly "common"? This is an issue I cannot fix. But I don't get the clue:
This pic https://www.airliners.net/photo/All-Nipp ... LxoALhE%3D was accepted on February 15th , 07:04 PM (so before the second rejection)
And is shows the other side of the a/c!!

I take a lot of tome to edit and upload pics on this db. But this is a waste of time if suddenly new issues appear which were not mentioned before.
Espicially "common" says that I had lost anyways regardless what I reedit.
This inconsistency of screening drives me angry!

Please think about that!

Best regards

rainer

jelpee
Head Screener

Re: Senseless reediting/waste of time

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Rainer,

What you describe can definitely be frustrating...have experienced it myself! Screener consistency is sometimes hard to achieve since we all see things and miss things. FYI, I screened this after the first rejection). In this case however, I do not believe that screener inconsistency was a major contributor. My thoughts:

For starters, the when the air-frame has over 100 images in the database it is considered common. And common images are judged more harshly than uncommon/rare registrations. Therefore it is not surprising that it has been rejected many times. Usually "Common" will/should not be used as the only reason for a rejection. It is used in addition to another rejection reason. That it wasn't cited as "Common" on previous screenings (including mine) is an oversight. Us screeners are subject to failings as well.

Secondly, when one issue is fixed, it could expose additional issues that were not visible the during the first screening. For e.g. when I screened the image, I did not see jaggies as being unacceptable probably due to the underexposed condition. . But if I look at the brighter image, I see jaggies. The last screening says to me that the exposure is now fine, but jaggies are visible. I agree with that assessment: the image is oversharpened with jaggies visible on the artwork.

. I always welcome feedback on the screening process to try to improve my screening ability and promote consistency among my fellow screening team members. I do understand your frustration and hope you feel that you have a good outlet for venting and discussion here in this forum! I enjoy screening your images when they pop into my queue...so don't despair

Cheers,

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

comet1
Topic Author

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi Jehan,

thank you for your quick and respectful reply.
Now I understand the development of this case and agree to what you wrote.

I regarded this pic quite a litte unique and atmospheric and assumed that the lower quality could be acceptable, like the accepted Etihad A330 in the same manner.
And that a screener has an oversight from time to time shows us that they are no machines! I was just irritated about the late common rejection.

So I keep it in my collection and check my harddisk for future potential uploads.

Good night

Rainer

Kaphias

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:15 pm

I think "common" should take into account conditions/location and not just the registration.