jscrubby
Topic Author

Pre-Screening Please

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm

I am new to airliners.net. Please see the following photos that I am considering uploading. Looking for some tips in what I could do to possibly fix some of the flaws. Cheers!

I believe most are underexposed and one has focus issues possibly.

https://flic.kr/p/2gcnEan
https://flic.kr/p/2gcnjDQ
https://flic.kr/p/2gcnDZh
https://flic.kr/p/2gcnaSV

Starfuryt

Re: Pre-Screening Please

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:52 am

Hi there,

All of these will get rejected for quality right away. What is your camera/lens setup?
All of these 3 grainy and noisy unfortunately.

Regardless of that
B-2090, underexposed, needs tighter crop
B-2090 (2), wingtip cutoff, needs tighter crop on the nose
F-HPJA tighter crop, strong glare on the nose
HL9009 not centered, tighter crop, missed focus as well it looks like

Unfortunately all are extremely noisy and soft. Depending on what hardware you use you might have to invest in an upgrade.

-Mikhail

jscrubby
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Mikhail,

Thanks. I am definitely in need of an upgrade but before that I am trying to maximize what I have to learn. Right now just using a Panasonic Lumix ZS-70 (just a fancy point and shoot camera)

Do you have any suggestions based off my exif data on the pics of what settings I may have wrong? I seem to always struggle with shutter speed / white balance which either gives me an overexposed grainy shot or a underexposed smooth shot with a lot of noise. I am very new to camera terminology and settings any help would greatly be appreciated.

-Jonathan

Starfuryt

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Jonathan,

is ISO 80 the native ISO? You should it bump it up to 100 probably, at the very least that will brighten things up a bit. On approach shots (especially if they are tangential to your point of view), i would try to stay above 1/250th. Below that there is a chance to get really soft images.
Even with a good setup 1/250th might be slow, see: https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-co ... to/5397607. I realize that this is a takeoff shot so the plane is going faster, but nevertheless if you look at the registration it's pretty blurry. And this shot was the best out of 5 or 6 in the series. Needless to say it got a blurry rejection. I've tried 1/160th and 1/120th for night shots but those have come out awful, probably cause I suck at it more than anything else.

These days with modern CCD you shouldn't really notice any noise with ISO below 400.
Were those images processed in photoshop or lightroom at all? Since that's a must these days.

All that being said I'm really not sure whether the sensor and the lens in the camera is good enough. I generally hesitate to blame the equipment (I had my first ~10 shots rejected here shooting with $4k setup), it might be a case where it's really not up to standard. That being said you don't need to invest $4k either, you can probably get a fairly decent setup below $1000 that will blow a point and shoot camera out of the water.

Some of the more experienced photographers and screeners will be able to give you more pointers as well. If you search aviation photography subforum there is also plenty of information there about cameras and settings. Also if you want to learn there are tons of photography specific websites and youtube channels that will give you tons of information, google is very much your friend in that regard.

-Mikhail

jscrubby
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Mikhail,

I have not changed ISO, will definitely look into that. I do believe ISO 80 is native since I have not changed it haha. I have left ISO on auto and it always defaults to 80 but I can go as high as 3200.
I kept my shutter speed around 1/320 for those shots anything more became too dark (clouds poking in and out at IAD) so I think I should for sure try a higher ISO.

I did not use any image processing software like photoshop or lightroom. I am looking to get some software to mess around with but not sure where to start. I have heard there a lot of freeware photo programs that can do the basics I just have not looked much into it yet but I think I should.

I 100% agree that its not always the hardware that's why before I spend the money on better hardware I want to at least learn the basics and maximize what I am getting with my current camera. Thanks again!

-Jonathan

Kaphias

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm

If I may quote myself...
Kaphias wrote:
With that camera, you need to shoot planes that are 1. close to you, 2. not/slowly moving, and 3. well lit, on a sunny day in the morning or late afternoon with the sun at your back.

I used a similar camera (Nikon S6000) for several years and had to follow all three of those rules, with rare exception, to get a photo accepted here.

jscrubby
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Kaphias,

Good stuff I appreciate it. When you mean not/slowly moving you mean an object that is up to speed? That kinda confused me haha.

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:08 pm

He means an object that is not moving or slowly moving.

jscrubby
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Oh okay gotcha! thanks!