Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gh6912
Topic Author

Re: Post-screening gh6912

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 pm

jelpee wrote:
I screened this image. Overall it could be sharper. Soft areas are visible at the engine openings, tail cone. As I take a second look, I agree with Tim that it is also flat, and should have mentioned it. I would increase the contrast and see if it adds some sharpness to the image first. Nice lighting. I caught the El Al on the morning of Jan 19th at The Holes as well...it was a LA special paint. I need to edit it and send it in for screening.

Jehan

Appreciate it Jehan! Like I said I figured it could use a little work and didn’t plan to appeal. I’ll add some contrast and see how it affects it and go from there. Thanks for the help and can’t wait to see your shot from the holes!
Lone Star Spotter, F-4 Phantom Phanatic

gh6912
Topic Author

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:09 pm

On 3/8 while uploading an image of an E-4B a screener added a personal message in a rejection that stated "Sorry, you haven't enough quliaty for large size. Please don't upload over 1200 pix."

Today I had an image that I uploaded on 2/29 screened and the screener added a personal message in the rejection of "You were asked not to upload over 1200 pix, as your quality is not enough for large size. Thanks"

I'm not sure how I could have heeded that waring 10 days prior to receiving it, but hey what do I know, my image quality is not adequate!

WELL, for this screener's information, of my 194 uploads, 117 are OVER THE SIZE OF 1200x. So I think you HIGHLY need to reevaluate your screening methods. Some images should not be uploaded at large sizes and I do understand that. BUT I feel now I am unfairly being targeted by this screener simply due to my name. I never ever had such obnoxious screening rejections on multiple photos until the recent past week. So whoever you are, it is NOT appreciated that you are screening with a bias and I have no clue what I did to anger you.

gh6912
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:10 pm

Can now make that 121 uploads larger than 1200x so maybe this has been straightened out? I sure hope so...

gh6912
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:28 am

So I just had this rejected and rejected again after appeal. ImageThe reasoning was “info”. The screener instructed me to put the reg info of the C-5 because it is apparently closer to the camera. I was using the F-14 in the center of the frame on the right of the row with the wings swept back. Is this new? I have several uploads at DMA where I selected an aircraft in the shot that is far from the one closes to the lens. For example:
. I just don’t understand how those uploads were not a problem at all and yet all of a sudden that had changed in the last 90 days. And if we’re really rejecting for info why and how did this slip through the cracks???
I love that shot but no USA- Navy info or anything. I’d appreciate hearing the feedback of several screeners to see if and how this rule is interpreted and why it seems to be enforced at a wildly inconsistent way. Thanks -Garrett

jelpee
Head Screener

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:44 pm

Hello Garrett,

While there is nothing specific to this subject in the Acceptance Guide, the guideline has always been that the registration for aircraft closest to the photographer is what should be listed. Typically, this is also the most prominent subject. However, there are circumstances when the aircraft closest to the lens would not be the registration that is listed. E.g. it is an out of focus foreground element that is not the main subject, or it is a minor part of the overall composition (e.g. a Cessna 172 in front of a Airbus A380). In the case of your last rejected image, the C5A is both the most prominent and closest which is why it was declined for the reasons indicated.

Re. the Blue Angels F/A 18B, it should not be viewed as anything other than an oversight in screening. I am often puzzled by the expectation from the uploading community that screening should be 100% accurate, 100% of the time. For a service that is provided by a.net at no charge to uploaders, and for no compensation to the screeners, perhaps some latitude in this area would be nice.

Cheers,

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

johnr

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:09 pm

Don’t forget Jehan that the very reason for the existence for A.net, the photographs, are supplied to the site at no charge also.

gh6912
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:09 pm

jelpee wrote:
Hello Garrett,

While there is nothing specific to this subject in the Acceptance Guide, the guideline has always been that the registration for aircraft closest to the photographer is what should be listed. Typically, this is also the most prominent subject. However, there are circumstances when the aircraft closest to the lens would not be the registration that is listed. E.g. it is an out of focus foreground element that is not the main subject, or it is a minor part of the overall composition (e.g. a Cessna 172 in front of a Airbus A380). In the case of your last rejected image, the C5A is both the most prominent and closest which is why it was declined for the reasons indicated.

Re. the Blue Angels F/A 18B, it should not be viewed as anything other than an oversight in screening. I am often puzzled by the expectation from the uploading community that screening should be 100% accurate, 100% of the time. For a service that is provided by a.net at no charge to uploaders, and for no compensation to the screeners, perhaps some latitude in this area would be nice.

Cheers,

Jehan

Hi Jehan,

I appreciate you getting back to me. My only qualm with that is my C-130 tails shot is not that 1st airframe in the shot, nor is the Luftwaffe F-4 shot. I chose a random tail in the set since all were in focus. Those were accepted no issue. I’d also argue the main focus of my frame was the F-14s so I selected an F-14 registration to use. Why all of a sudden the change and why would those prior ones be accepted then? As for the expectation for perfection I don’t expect that at all. But it frustrates me when I have an image of a corporate jet get rejected for tagging it as “business” instead of “private” or something minor and yet something as blatant as leaving the entire airline field blank makes it through is frustrating. I’ve seen multiple examples of this and honestly it’s one of the bigger things to get over looked and I do expect something as big in the data as that to not be overlooked. I understand no one is perfect but that’s a major data point to miss. Just frustrating to see from the photographers end, especially having had things rejected for minor data errors in the past. Thanks for responding and clarifying and I appreciate all the time the screening team puts in since I know it’s voluntary.

gh6912
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:29 pm

And here we have yet ANOTHER example! Pretty sure the airframe closest to the lens is a Southwest bird, not Oman Air. All I’m asking for is consistency. If this is accepted there’s no reason why the F-14 shot would not be

dgorun
Head Screener

Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:05 pm

gh6912 wrote:
And here we have yet ANOTHER example! Pretty sure the airframe closest to the lens is a Southwest bird, not Oman Air. All I’m asking for is consistency. If this is accepted there’s no reason why the F-14 shot would not be

Thanks for pointing out yet another example. As a rule yes, it has to be closest plane in the frame. At times the registration is not possible to see or obtain. We have allowed airport overviews when the reg. is not visible. We are making changes to the Acceptance Guide, we will address this with the new Guide. To help out the screeners in the future, we would like to ask the uploader to put a comment in the "comment to screeners" box specifying why the reg. of the closest aircraft is not entered.
Crew - Photo Screener

dutchspotter1

Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:29 pm

Since there is not one obvious subject aircraft in these overview photos, wouldn't it make more sense to leave out the reg/aircraft type/airline entirely? Perhaps it's better to mention this in the comments section where you could include multiple (visible/known) regs and other details. That would avoid discussions about which aircraft is the closest/biggest/etc.
NO URLS in signature

gh6912
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:37 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Since there is not one obvious subject aircraft in these overview photos, wouldn't it make more sense to leave out the reg/aircraft type/airline entirely? Perhaps it's better to mention this in the comments section where you could include multiple (visible/known) regs and other details. That would avoid discussions about which aircraft is the closest/biggest/etc.

I'd have to agree. I have tried this in the past listing the reg of every aircraft in the frame in the caption but was still rejected for info. I will have to try not listing any reg at all and see if that will make a difference. I think what Dan said is fair and I will try to make an effort to clarify why a specific reg was chosen for the data in the note to the screeners. I think the thing I was/am frustrated with was the lack of standardization and consistency which thankfully seems to be being address in the new acceptance guide

gh6912
Topic Author

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:16 am

Follow up about the which reg or aircraft to use for data. This image simply has a DC-10-40 used and no reg. (nothing aginst this shot, I think its superb!) but shouldn't it have no aircraft type listed?
It also is not marked as an airport overview, I was told in a rejection of a similar shot that is also a data error and needs to be fixed. So again I find myself wondering where is the consistency with these types of shots and the data used on them? I know screeners are human and no two see the same thing but on shots like this it seemed the rules were pretty simple and yet they're so blatantly missed. Just aggravating to see having had photos rejected for simply for data and then rejected again via appeal

jelpee
Head Screener

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:26 pm

Garrett,

In looking at this shot there is a registration number identified (N858V). Let me know if I'm missing something in your inquiry.

As for it not being designated an Airport Overview, we usually do not reject for a "Category" issues only, since it is something that the screener can adjust before accepting it. If there are other issues, then "Category" may be listed as well.

Cheers,

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

gh6912
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:53 pm

jelpee wrote:
Garrett,

In looking at this shot there is a registration number identified (N858V). Let me know if I'm missing something in your inquiry.

As for it not being designated an Airport Overview, we usually do not reject for a "Category" issues only, since it is something that the screener can adjust before accepting it. If there are other issues, then "Category" may be listed as well.

Cheers,

Jehan

Hi Jehan,

Understand about the category issue not being a reject reason, that's fine. Now I again protest the issue of selecting the reg of an aircraft clearly not closest to the lens. Again I have had shots rejected for this, then the appeal rejected and yet this is accepted? Sticking with that course of logic shouldn't the reg and data for the Eva 747, Qantas 747, KLM 747 or various others at the bottom of the frame be used? Instead a DC-10 in the middle of the frame is randomly chosen, not data about that frame is even provided in the description. I can understand choosing a registration that is not closest to the lens if it is a historic airframe and background info is given, this is not the case here.

I'm starting to wonder if this photographer is getting a free pass based on who he is. I really enjoy his work, it is not a shot at him at all, but it seems that this individual will have erroneous data errors like this ignored or other elements of the image are overlooked by the screeners and granted acceptance. His work is phenomenal but some of his shots seem a bit off or lacking specific elements and yet they're accepted where as mine and others will have shots that may be lacking those elements and then they have been rejected. I don't feel I am being singled out but I feel like some photographers are getting free passes. This is a text book case, I have had several shots rejected for data for not following the upload data guidelines and yet this shot is accepted. Im just sick of the inconsistency specifically surrounding air to ground images. I know screeners are human, I know it's voluntary as well, but it isnt difficult to have a team wide memo sent regarding data and what is correct and incorrect entries. Sorry to rant, but I have seen this too many times and I feel it needs to be addressed.

All the best,

Garrett

gh6912
Topic Author

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:26 pm

Any thoughts? Has this been addressed? Sorry to take such a negative tone but this is the type of inconsistency that has been driving photographers mad and I don’t think it’s too much to ask to at least address it

gh6912
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:40 am

SHOCKING YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE! (again I have no problem with the image, it is a great one, this is about the data).
Based on my prior rejections and the information stated by the screeners in this thread the aircraft data that SHOULD be listed should be the KLM frame, NOT THE EVA AIR FRAME. But once again, a data error slips thru the cracks. All I want, all the entire community wants is CONSISTENCY. How is it that I have multiple A2G shots with multiple airframes in the shot and listed the data for an aircraft that is not closest to the lens rejected after appeal where the head screener states simply "Screener is correct" and yet this photo is accepted? It is LITERALLY the EXACT same issue I had multiple photos rejected for and then the appeals upheld those rejections. Starting to get really tired of this and have yet to hear any sort of solution being offered to fix it.

dgorun
Head Screener

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:30 pm

Based on the available acceptance rules, we need to clear up the registration info issues.

The current guide says "If there are more than one aircraft in the photo, type the registration of the most visible aircraft (the registration(s) of the other(s) can be mentioned in the caption field)."

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Southwe ... /2688295/L
In this Case it should be the Lufthansa A380

Going forward we will use this as a guide when screening. We know that there will be gray areas. Please use the appeal process if you think a photo got rejected for bad registration.
Crew - Photo Screener

gh6912
Topic Author

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:44 pm

dgorun wrote:
Based on the available acceptance rules, we need to clear up the registration info issues.

The current guide says "If there are more than one aircraft in the photo, type the registration of the most visible aircraft (the registration(s) of the other(s) can be mentioned in the caption field)."

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Southwe ... /2688295/L
In this Case it should be the Lufthansa A380

Going forward we will use this as a guide when screening. We know that there will be gray areas. Please use the appeal process if you think a photo got rejected for bad registration.

Hi Dan,

First and foremost my apologies for the terse tone I took. It was all stemming from the frustration of the inconsistency in screening of these types of images. I think your clarification and direct reference to the guide helps clear the air on how to list data and I'm sure this has been communicated to the rest of the screening team as well. I think it is fair and hopefully this resolves this issue going forward.

Thanks- Garrett

dutchspotter1

Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:35 am

dgorun wrote:
.....We know that there will be gray areas.

Exactly, this will leave too much room for interpretation. It will be easier not to list a registration at all (except in the caption) if there is more than one obvious subject aircraft in the photo.
NO URLS in signature