punkydawg
Topic Author

Help the newbie! Please?

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 pm

I previously hijacked someone else's feedback thread, so please accept my humble apologies for my heinous transgression. I never thought of myself as worthy to have my own Airliners.net thread!

I'm on a quest to actually get some of my photos accepted on Airliners.net and I've got great feedback from people so far and it has been very valuable.

I took the advice I've had so far, read the manual for my camera again, and found a few instructional pieces online, and have come up with these. The differences this time is I used much faster shutter speeds (1/640, 1/800 and 1/1000) and ISO 200. I had the aperture and other things on auto. I also sat on the roof of my car, but then I read the manual for the car and it said you shouldn't put more than 50lbs on the roof... These pics were taken late morning rather than mid afternoon.

1: https://postimg.cc/3Wfjy0pV UA Express new livery.
2: https://postimg.cc/9r4dyXYM UA new livery.
3: https://postimg.cc/R3mwr756 Air China 777. I like 777s. I have one tattooed on me.
4: https://postimg.cc/0ryd2067 I just thought this pic was cool.

Again, I am really thankful for all the constructive advice I've had and really want to start contributing. If I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, I'd like to know about it. I really like the "banking away" attitude of these pics, but I could be having a Wile E Coyote moment.

Thanks again,

andy
Andy aka Lake Arthur Speedbird
Resident of KIAH 15R/15L
Drinker of Diet Cherry Limeade from Sonic
Enthusiastic Newbie, all advice welcomed!

DALMD80

Re: Help the newbie! Please?

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:04 am

They really look great! They look a little grainy, but barely. Where were these taken? Also... the ERJ and A320 look good, but the 777 and the 737 with the RJ are both a tad dark. Welcome to Anet!
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.

punkydawg
Topic Author

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:17 am

They were taken from about 200 yards west of Runway 15R at KIAH, sitting on the roof of a Ford Ecosport.

Thank you for the encouragement!
Resident of KIAH 15R/15L

punkydawg
Topic Author

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:51 am

I've brightened up the 777 and the 737/RJ photo, and came up with this:

https://postimg.cc/nX6td4z6
https://postimg.cc/KKBhC134

Again, all feedback and suggestions are welcomed.
Resident of KIAH 15R/15L

Runway28L

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:03 am

All four are dark/underexposed, grainy, and have dust spots. Main issue though is that all have poor quality and were shot in bad light. I would bin them unfortunately.

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:00 am

1: blurry, underexposed, noise, poor light, poor quality
2: same
3: same
4: same

The re-edits are not good enough either. These photos are not even close to being acceptable, sorry. I would suggest the following (taken from the Upload & Acceptance Guide):

airkas1 wrote:
Tips for newcomers

We often get asked what settings to use when starting out. Below you will find some suggestions if you are an absolute newcomer to the world of aviation photography.

- Try to get the sun in your back (e.g. don't photograph into the sun). When the sun is high (especially in the summer months), don't go out to the airport in the middle of the day, but try to go spotting in the mornings/evenings, when the sun is lower and light is better.
- Make sure you're relatively close to your subject, so you don't have to crop a lot.
- Try to have around values of around F7.1/8 and a shutter speed above 1/1500. Get to learn how the triangle shutterspeed/aperture/ISO works and is connected to each other.
- Improve your skills by trial and error. You can post your results in the feedback forum, where your peers and screeners will give you feedback.

I also suggest your read the thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1426915

DALMD80

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm

No offense here, but I might clean the lens. Good luck, and I hope you catch some rare birds!
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.

punkydawg
Topic Author

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Thank you all for the advice and feedback. I found a few instructional videos on YouTube, too, so I think I understand what went wrong.

From what I have worked out, aperture of about F8 and shutter speed of around 1/1500, and maybe a bit of exposure compensation is what I need. Sadly I live three hours from Houston so it's gonna be a while before I can try again. But I will try again and post the next try here.
Resident of KIAH 15R/15L

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Surely there is an airport/airfield closer to you? Even a small field with some GA traffic will do the trick. You could go there to practise.

DALMD80

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Yeah. I think that some nice sunset bizjets would look great!

punkydawg
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:16 am

There's LFT, but I drove around there and didn't see anywhere spotter friendly. I will try LCH over the weekend, but the two GA fields near me only have crop dusters.

Thanks!
Resident of KIAH 15R/15L

DALMD80

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:30 pm

punkydawg wrote:
There's LFT, but I drove around there and didn't see anywhere spotter friendly. I will try LCH over the weekend, but the two GA fields near me only have crop dusters.

Thanks!

I don't see many crop dusters on A.net. You could get those and they would be great!

airkas1
Head Screener

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:42 pm

If LCH is Lake Charles, that seems like a decent practise ground. Some light aircraft and helicopters according to Google Maps. Use suncalc (https://www.suncalc.org/#/30.124,-93.22 ... /15:06/1/3) to determine the position of the sun and try taking photos with the sun directly behind you. Follow the tips for newcomers and try to get as close as you can. Keep in mind that aircraft on the ground are prone to heathaze.

punkydawg
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:26 pm

DALMD80 wrote:
I don't see many crop dusters on A.net. You could get those and they would be great!

Then I shall try and get some crop dusters. There are a lot of those round here, and I know that one of the operators is friends with a colleague.

My ultimate aim, of course, is to get a 777 accepted. But the only one in range is this one, and I'm not sure it will make it through screening...

Resident of KIAH 15R/15L

DALMD80

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Looks good!