Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TonySteph
Topic Author

pre-screening advice

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:36 pm

Hello everybody,

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... ebe4f29320

I wanna know if you could take a look about my pic that i made few years ago during a night session. I don't know if it may be acceptable as the marshaller is in front the plane (even if the timing is perfect as they really intereact with each other).

Many thanks,

Best regards,

JakTrax

Re: pre-screening advice

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Nice photo. I can't see why it wouldn't be acceptable as the marshaller (for me at least) is adding to the shot in the execution of his duty.

Karl

jelpee

Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:46 pm

Motive for marshaller is OK for me: No blockage of gear, or engines. However, will likely draw a motive rejection for the cropped tip of the tail when there is room at the bottom of the frame to place the aircraft lower and therefore show the entire tail. Looks soft...almost a tad blurry to me though: wings, tail.

Jehan

JakTrax

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:19 pm

Crikey, what happened to relaxing the rules for unique shots?! I doubt anyone could have done better under the circumstances so surely soft(er) parts of the aircraft could be overlooked? I'd also disagree that the entire tail could be included. Besides, there are so many images in the database in which the tail is cut off.

jelpee

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Softness may be acceptable. It is true that there are images in the DB with the tail cropped, but most of them are where the nose gear is at the bottom of the frame. Doesn't seem to be the case here. IMO, the crop of the tip of the tail could have been avoided. Here's one of mine with the tail crop which works: https://www.airliners.net/search?keywords=5662573

Jehan

Kaphias

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:42 pm

jelpee wrote:
Softness may be acceptable. It is true that there are images in the DB with the tail cropped, but most of them are where the nose gear is at the bottom of the frame. Doesn't seem to be the case here. IMO, the crop of the tip of the tail could have been avoided. Here's one of mine with the tail crop which works: https://www.airliners.net/search?keywords=5662573

Jehan

Moving/cropping the nose gear to the bottom of the frame would make the photo very unbalanced top-to-bottom and visually unpleasing. It's great as it is now, maybe even a little low in frame.

TonySteph
Topic Author

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:19 pm

Hello,

Many thanks for the feedbacks everybody. I would have thought that the marshaller would be the trick but fortunately not.

Yes indeed Jeepee, i'm agree about the tail but on this case, i wasn't able to make it as there were jetblast barriers on each sides of the A318, that's why i didn't crop on the width's pic, only a little on the height. If i would make the aircraft completely, it would give (as Kaphias said) a very strange result.

Anyway, i just made a new re-edition where i added some sharpening on the wings, some blue tone and re-adjust the ratio' pic (less tail) :

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... bc4839ba49

Best regards everyone.

Stephane G.

jelpee

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi Stepane,

Your latest edit looks very nice. The sharpness is much improved and the crop is much better. It would be acceptable for me. Comparing both images, the tail crop looks better and more in line with what we screeners consider acceptable. To me, in the first image, the fact that just the tip of the tail was missing from the frame made it look awkward. BTW, the spinning fan blades add a lot drama to the image. Now I can say, "Nice Image"!

Regards,

Jehan

TonySteph
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:55 am

Hi Jehan,

Many thanks for the feedback, i really appreciated (i would like also to thank Karl and Matthew for the help).

Best regards,

TonySteph
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:08 pm

Hello (again) everybody.

I promise it's the last time that I ask you about a pic. If you may take a look about the following link :

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... 73eec45034

That was my hardest pic that i made because they switched the lights (on my side) just a few seconds before the startup and it was too late for an other spot.

I wonder how is the colors because it's like a mix of yellow, blue temperatures and red tones. Also i want to know how is the sharpening? (i'm afraid above the grainy pic because i needed to add a lot of brightness even if my exposure shot was about 13'').

Best regards and many thanks for helping me.

JakTrax

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:28 pm

Possibly a tiny bit of selective sharpening in some areas but generally looks good to me!

Karl

jelpee

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:29 pm

Agree with Karl in that it needs some sharpening, e.g. main titles look soft.
The crop does not work though. The wing tip is cropped out on the left side which will draw a motive rejection. I recommend you crop close to the tail on the left side. Crop on the right side can stay as is. It will make the composition look more balanced. There is also hint of a magenta color cast, but I think it should be OK.

Jehan

TonySteph
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:18 am

Hi Jehan and Karl,

Thanks for the tips, i followed your advices in order to make a new edit of the dornier :

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... b435a291de

I cropped a bit on the tail for a better position, reduced a bit the magenta tone and add some sharpening on the body.

Best regards,

jelpee

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi Tony,

I would crop closer to the tail cone. The latest crop you show looks unbalanced and still shows premature clipping of the horizontal stabilizer. Color looks good. When you sharpen, I recommend using a background layer so that you can increase the sharpness of the main title and erase jaggies on the registration.

Cheers,

Jehan

TonySteph
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:09 pm

Hi Jehan,

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, i didn't notice that it still was unbalanced. I tried to crop a lot next to the tail and add a sharpening mask on the main title (i also added some Clarity adjustement to make it more brighter) and tried to reduce the jaggies on the registration.

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... dcc0f33e38

Best regards,

jelpee

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:46 pm

Passable, but I prefer a closer crop closer to the tail on the left side. You may have to adjust the right side as well to balance the distance tot he edge of the frame. Sharpness looks good.

Jehan

p.s. if you'd like I can send you a version of my crop. Email me at jelpee@airlienrs.net if you're interested.

JakTrax

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:09 pm

Cropping closer to the tail would likely chop that flap fairing, which would look ugly (in my opinion). If anything I'd say crop a little looser left side to include that full fairing. Looking through the database the crop should be acceptable in both your two edits and as suggested by Jehan. The best crop would be to include the whole starboard wing but if it's not present in the original file...

TonySteph
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Hello guyz,

I just received the screening's result of my A318CJ nightshot and it ended up with a motive rejection. I think that the marshaller is a bit much present (i was afraid of). Sadly i don't have other pics without him.

Otherwise, the dornier one has been accepted to the database. Many thanks again for the advices everyone.

Best regards

jelpee

Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:00 pm

Sorry to hear about the rejection. Perhaps you could appeal on the basis that the marshaller is not blocking engines or landing gear and is relevant to the composition. Stuff like that is up to screener discretion. I would appeal if I were you with an appropriate reason for the appeal. Hope it works.

Jehan

Kaphias

Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:22 pm

TonySteph wrote:
Hello guyz,

I just received the screening's result of my A318CJ nightshot and it ended up with a motive rejection. I think that the marshaller is a bit much present (i was afraid of). Sadly i don't have other pics without him.

Otherwise, the dornier one has been accepted to the database. Many thanks again for the advices everyone.

Best regards

Too bad. I'm sure it would have been accepted if the marshaller was wearing a bikini.

TonySteph
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:57 pm

jelpee wrote:
Sorry to hear about the rejection. Perhaps you could appeal on the basis that the marshaller is not blocking engines or landing gear and is relevant to the composition. Stuff like that is up to screener discretion. I would appeal if I were you with an appropriate reason for the appeal. Hope it works.

Jehan

Hi Jehan,

No problem, i mosly never appeal as i don't like to belabor too much but i followed your advice and submitted it.

Kaphias wrote:
TonySteph wrote:
Hello guyz,

Best regards

Too bad. I'm sure it would have been accepted if the marshaller was wearing a bikini.

Hehe, this marshaller wears a Santa Claus costume every year but it was taken one month earlier..but maybe it would have worked in the end!.

Best regards,

cmandel

Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:58 pm

Congrats Tony, your photo is on the Top 5. Great one.

TonySteph
Topic Author

Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:07 am

cmandel wrote:
Congrats Tony, your photo is on the Top 5. Great one.

Thanks man, i was almost surprised when i woke up and saw it on the main page.

Finally, both pics were accepted to the databse. Thanks a lot Jehan, Karl, Kaphias and the others for the useful advices/feedbacks. I really appreciated.

Best regards,

TonySteph
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2021 7:06 pm

Hello everyone,

As you already helped me a lot last year, i just come again for some edit's advices about that shot!

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... ebf04f43c3

I'm not that sure about the colors' tones on the airframe as the airplane wears a silver scheme. I'm just confused with the yellow-green tones on the body. If i made it more blue, it becomes too much red.

If some take a look, i would appreciate a lot,

Best regards,

jelpee

Tue May 04, 2021 11:06 pm

It's a little high in the frame but otherwise looks good. Contrast and color look fine to me.

Jehan

Crosswindphoto

Wed May 05, 2021 6:00 am

I second what Jehan said ^.

TonySteph
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2021 8:36 am

Many thanks to you Jelpee and Crosswindphoto for the feedbacks.