comet1
Topic Author

Halo rejection

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 am

Hi,
I don't get the clue of the following halo rejections of the same pic:

First rejection with halos only:
https://abload.de/img/q33a8587-1grossfilter59jh8.jpg

Second rejection again with halos only and screeners comment "Sorry Rainer, Halos still visible.":
https://abload.de/img/q33a8587-1grossohnehakaj9e.jpg

A third upload was made without touching any lights, shadows etc. Only framing and sharpening, knowing that the contrast would be not good, just to figure out if still rejected for halos.
https://abload.de/img/q33a8587new0jjl.jpg

And it was rejected again for halos and the expected high contrast and oversharpened although sharpened like the first two pics.

I appealed with the link of the completly unedited file which was just reduced in the filesize
https://abload.de/img/q33a8587acekcw.jpg

The appeal was simply rejected with halos and high contrast again (not with oversharpened anymore) No further explanation was given.

So I ask myself where the halos are supposed to be in all images I can't see them at all.) and how can halos be there in a complete unedited pic. The only slight idea I have is the white edge of parts of the bottom of the body. But these are in the original image already and are not an editing error. Maybe sun reflections or so.

Can anybody explain, help or has an idea how to reedit the pic to get is accepted because for me it is a quite unique shot of an old beauty.

Best greetings

Rainer

HL7726

Re: Halo rejection

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:32 am

How to erase halos like below.
Auto Select-Manual select(to block erasing some part of aircraft due to copy stamp)-Equalize mode On/Off(to Check white or black halos)-Use Copy Stamp to erase halos.

comet1
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:50 am

Thanks, but where are the halos? The described edges of the bottom of the body or somewhere else?

HL7726

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:45 pm

[url]file:///Users/happystar657%201/Desktop/q33a8587new0jjl.jpg[/url]
I turned equalize mode on your photo.There are white halos around vertical tail, both stabilators and APU exhaust, upper empennage of aircraft, around upper deck to radome.

jelpee
Head Screener

Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Hello Rainer,

I saw this image a couple of times in my screening queue and rejected it for halos. Halos for this type of angle (shooting from below against a sky is not uncommon and can be generated from the camera itself that may programed to lift highlights (e.g. Active D-Lighting in Nikon DSLR's). I used to have problems with halos until some on on this forum suggested that I turn that feature off. I did not process the appeal, but what HL7726 describes in his review of the unprocessed image is what I saw, especially the light shadow around the vertical stabilizer.

Best regards,

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

comet1
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:42 pm

Thanks for your kind an quick replies which explains a lot.. Sadly I cannot find the equalized mode neither on PS 8 elements nor in Lightroom 5.2. Has anybody an idea if it is there and how to select it?

jelpee
Head Screener

Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:02 am

Rainer,

In PSE 11 which I use today, the Equalize function is nested as follows: Filter- (top menu bar)--> Adjustment---> Equalize. If I recall correctly, it was in the same location when I used PSE 8.

Regards,

Jehan

comet1
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi Jehan,

thank you for explanation. I'm not sure if I found the right filter. With the only filter which might makes sense the pic comes out like this: https://abload.de/img/q33a8587-1grossfilter28ktq.jpg But is this really an equalized version and what shall it tell me?

Regards

Rainer

jelpee
Head Screener

Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Hi Rainer,

That looks like the right filter. As you can tell there is a halo around the top section of fuselage through the nose as shown exaggeratedly with the filter applied. It is particularly prominent on the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer.

Jehan

comet1
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi Jehan,
thank you again for kind and quick answer and help. Good that I found the right filter. I can see the halos there but I still don't see them in the normal version no matter from which angle I look at the screen. I mean to remember to have read somewhere here that screening is done with the normal version and as long as there are no halos visible in it the equalized version has no meaning. So I will try a last time to reedit it and hope to get it accepted. At least now I know in which sections I have to work. Thanks again to all for you support and stay healthy. Rainer

jelpee
Head Screener

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:43 pm

HI Rainer,

Glad to help. I agree that it may not be as visible without equalization applied. However, us screeners tend to be more sensitive to it and once you see it, it is impossible to "un-see" it. If I'm unsure if a halo exists or not, I will download an equalize an image to make sure before I reject it. Check your camera settings as well to make sure that it is not applying highlight an shadow correction within the body. As I mentioned before, it was a problem for me with Nikon and their Active D-Lighting.

Stay safe and healthy as well. Am suffering withdrawals from not being able to spot and photograph especially now that the weather is getting better and the days are getting longer.

Regards,

Jehan