Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Psych
Topic Author

Photo taken with iPhone - good enough?

Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:12 pm

I was reading a thread relating to screening in this forum at the weekend. Meeting the demanding standards of this site has been a topic of conversation here in the Forums since I joined the site 17 years ago. There was a brief conversation in the thread about whether photos taken by camera phones could possibly be acceptable, given those high standards. It got me thinking whether I could get a photo accepted taken with my iPhone. My instinct would be to say that the quality just cannot be there - but that view might be distorted by the high standards that I also demand of myself for my images and submissions, and the fact that I always take photos with a full frame camera and high quality lenses.

But on this occasion I was out walking and there was no chance of me lugging all that camera gear up a hill for a long walk in the summer sunshine. Here is the photo in question - a motor glider that only has one other photo of it in the database, taken some years ago now:

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... df820abde1

I would be very interested to hear whether this might be considered good enough to successfully get through the screening process.

All the best.

Paul

P.S. Unless I hear to the contrary, I am going to assume that the standards are not met and intend to delete the photo from the queue prior to it coming up for screening, as I still hate rejections, even after 17 years!

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Re: Photo taken with iPhone - good enough?

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:21 pm

Hello Paul

Simce our first accepted cell phone image was added about 6 years ago they've become rather common. Many can now meet our quality standards with good editing like your shot which has been added

Please feel free to upload more

Best

Paul

benjak

Re: Photo taken with iPhone - good enough?

Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:39 pm

Psych wrote:
I was reading a thread relating to screening in this forum at the weekend. Meeting the demanding standards of this site has been a topic of conversation here in the Forums since I joined the site 17 years ago. There was a brief conversation in the thread about whether photos taken by camera phones could possibly be acceptable, given those high standards. It got me thinking whether I could get a photo accepted taken with my iPhone. My instinct would be to say that the quality just cannot be there - but that view might be distorted by the high standards that I also demand of myself for my images and submissions, and the fact that I always take photos with a full frame camera and high quality lenses.

But on this occasion I was out walking and there was no chance of me lugging all that camera gear up a hill for a long walk in the summer sunshine. Here is the photo in question - a motor glider that only has one other photo of it in the database, taken some years ago now:

https://productz.com/en/apple-iphone-13/p/xlN93

I would be very interested to hear whether this might be considered good enough to successfully get through the screening process.

All the best.

Paul

P.S. Unless I hear to the contrary, I am going to assume that the standards are not met and intend to delete the photo from the queue prior to it coming up for screening, as I still hate rejections, even after 17 years!

I just wanted to say that this is a great photo. Hard to imagine how far technology has come when you can take this kind of picture with a smartphone.