Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wiggy
Topic Author

Pre screening - Wiggy

Tue May 24, 2022 4:33 am

Hi everyone sorry I have decided to start a new thread as the other was kind of getting out of hand. would someone be able to help me out as I have a lot of compression issues and I know I keep getting told to change the size but I need help with it.

Cheers Hadleigh

wiggy
Topic Author

Re: Pre screening - Wiggy

Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:21 am

I don't understand what I am supposed to do with resizing my photos because thanks a lot a head screener with whos name I won't mention he tells me to upload at 1092PX max or even smaller which I have been doing and then gets rejected for compression and the photo size is at 1041PX Seriously, what am I doing wrong for to happen?

wiggy
Topic Author

Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:22 am

scbriml

Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:56 pm

What photo editing software are you using and what's your process for resizing?

wiggy
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:03 am

I have light room but I am to waiting to be shown how to use it and in the mean town I'm just using windows photos until I get shown how to use light lightroom as for resizing I click on resize then I click on something like enter custom dimensions and I put in 1092px or smaller at that is maximum size to even have a chance to get a photo accepted.

Cheers Hadleigh

Crosswindphoto

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:31 am

wiggy wrote:
I have light room but I am to waiting to be shown how to use it and in the mean town I'm just using windows photos until I get shown how to use light lightroom as for resizing I click on resize then I click on something like enter custom dimensions and I put in 1092px or smaller at that is maximum size to even have a chance to get a photo accepted.

Cheers Hadleigh

PM me your Discord or something similar. I'll give you a full rundown of how to use Lightroom!

Tim

wiggy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:49 am

Crosswindphoto wrote:
wiggy wrote:

Cheers Hadleigh

PM me your Discord or something similar. I'll give you a full rundown of how to use Lightroom!

Tim

Is their something else other than discord?

Crosswindphoto

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:25 pm

I'll use anything you have, just let me know what you want to use.

wiggy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:46 pm

Crosswindphoto wrote:
I'll use anything you have, just let me know what you want to use.

Are you familiar with Zoom?

wiggy
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:30 am

Can someone pls give me a good description on what Compression means?

wiggy
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:41 am

I would like to know who is screening my photos? Because every single time it rejected for compression

wiggy
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:57 am

I starting to think who ever is screening my photos is doing it for something to do it's making me mad!!!!!!

wiggy
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:59 am

And also a head screener called me an arrogant teenager!!!

Psych

Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:19 am

Hello Hadleigh.

Sounds as though things have been getting you down of late - rejections have habit of doing that. Hope you are feeling a little better about it all now.

To try to answer your question - in simple terms compression is the result of a digital image being reduced in size from its original dimensions (even creating a large jpeg from a RAW image of the same size results in some compression). The program that does the downsizing has to use a way of creating the image with a smaller number of pixels - so it is effectively throwing out some digital information. By definition, the quality of the result is going to deteriorate - especially when you take a closer look on a larger monitor. This particularly affects things like sharpness, contrast etc. Some methods (and programs) are better than others for resizing the original photo. It may well be that if you are not using a professional program such as Photoshop/Lightroom it simply doesn't do the greatest of jobs and so that downsizing is leaving tell tale signs of the reduction in quality. If you are starting with a jpeg image (not RAW) and you reduce the number of pixels that make up the image (to make it smaller to submit) you are going to get some compression - your job is to limit that as much as you can. A combination of the program you use and some editing skills are what is needed to minimise that.

Hope this helps a little.

Paul

wiggy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:24 am

Psych wrote:
Hello Hadleigh.

Sounds as though things have been getting you down of late - rejections have habit of doing that. Hope you are feeling a little better about it all now.

To try to answer your question - in simple terms compression is the result of a digital image being reduced in size from its original dimensions (even creating a large jpeg from a RAW image of the same size results in some compression). The program that does the downsizing has to use a way of creating the image with a smaller number of pixels - so it is effectively throwing out some digital information. By definition, the quality of the result is going to deteriorate - especially when you take a closer look on a larger monitor. This particularly affects things like sharpness, contrast etc. Some methods (and programs) are better than others for resizing the original photo. It may well be that if you are not using a professional program such as Photoshop/Lightroom it simply doesn't do the greatest of jobs and so that downsizing is leaving tell tale signs of the reduction in quality. If you are starting with a jpeg image (not RAW) and you reduce the number of pixels that make up the image (to make it smaller to submit) you are going to get some compression - your job is to limit that as much as you can. A combination of the program you use and some editing skills are what is needed to minimise that.

Hope this helps a little.

Paul

Hi paul, Sorry for the really late reply, so your basically saying I need to shoot in raw?

Crosswindphoto

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:27 pm

Always shoot RAW, 100% of the time.
It may take up more space but it makes up for it in image quality.

That and implementing what I told you before should see a spike in the quality of your images.

Tim

wiggy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:45 pm

Crosswindphoto wrote:
Always shoot RAW, 100% of the time.
It may take up more space but it makes up for it in image quality.

That and implementing what I told you before should see a spike in the quality of your images.

Tim

Oh thanks Tim that's a massive help because all this time I have been shooting in jpeg.

wiggy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:36 am

Hello I recently started shooting raw and I've ran in to the following issues such as looking compressed after resizing it and very grainy and noise even after giving 100% of noise reduction would someone pls be able to help me out as to what I am doing wrong thanks.

Hadleigh

wiggy
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:46 am

Not to mention I even get compressed images after resizing and that are taken in RAW, so how can I fix that ?

wiggy
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:47 am

I have multiple photos taken in RAW and I would like some Help Please?

Crosswindphoto

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:06 am

Are you editing in Lightroom?

wiggy
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:11 pm

Crosswindphoto wrote:
Are you editing in Lightroom?

Yes I am

Crosswindphoto

Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:28 am

Make sure when you're export that you're exporting at the correct settings.
Ie: Maximum quality settings, correct width and height in pixels, etc.
If all that is correct then I'll have a look.

wiggy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:35 pm

Would export settings be kpeg that you use?
And the pixels is 1020px

Any good?

wiggy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:36 pm

Sorry jpeg

NIKV69

Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:42 pm

wiggy wrote:

LOL, do yourself a favor take a deep breath and listen to the advice here. It's priceless. The one photo you referenced above has other issues like quality and dark so compression is the least of your problems. One thing you should incorporate is not to shoot when it's cloudy. Start with great light and go from there.

wiggy
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:46 am

NIKV69 wrote:
wiggy wrote:

LOL, do yourself a favor take a deep breath and listen to the advice here. It's priceless. The one photo you referenced above has other issues like quality and dark so compression is the least of your problems. One thing you should incorporate is not to shoot when it's cloudy. Start with great light and go from there.

Excuse me sir but that has long passed and I'm now moving on and forgetting about it.

wiggy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:43 pm

Hi all so I just got a string of rejections again and still for compression even after shoot in raw! Any help please?

WZYAFX

Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:42 am

In the last saving step, select the maximum quality saving, and be sure to select 100%, otherwise it may lead to the current problem of your photos.

Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:30 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
wiggy wrote:

Cloudy conditions aren’t a problem, provided you know what you are doing.

The nice plane you want to photograph might not always be there for your sunny side on photo. By trying to take photos in different conditions you learn more.

Wiggy: in your last post the image links are all dead for me so I cannot help much.

Always export at 100%, this will help a little bit against compression.

wiggy
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:38 pm

cpd wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
wiggy wrote:

The nice plane you want to photograph might not always be there for your sunny side on photo. By trying to take photos in different conditions you learn more.

Wiggy: in your last post the image links are all dead for me so I cannot help much.

Always export at 100%, this will help a little bit against compression.

Thanks I'll give it a go!

wiggy
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:39 pm

WZYAFX wrote:
In the last saving step, select the maximum quality saving, and be sure to select 100%, otherwise it may lead to the current problem of your photos.

Thankyou I'll Give it a go!

wiggy
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:06 am

How are my photos still compressed even at 1020px? :banghead:

Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:25 pm

wiggy wrote:
How are my photos still compressed even at 1020px? :banghead:

It’s probably due to the uploading system running a fixed scripted process. So it runs compression regardless.

Some of the big CMS platforms do things differently and create variable renditions of the asset based which are used for different platforms.

wiggy
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:49 pm

Oh that explains it then!

NIKV69

Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:56 pm

cpd wrote:

The nice plane you want to photograph might not always be there for your sunny side on photo

Slide shooters would disagree but I am well aware of how to shoot with adverse light. I just think for someone getting their feet wet here and for common aircraft you should stick with superior light.

wiggy
Topic Author

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:43 pm

hello all, what would be the best platform to use to fix Compression?

wiggy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:53 am

And could I get your opinion on this photo?
https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... 6cde38ff55