Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

klm77
Topic Author

Can someone explain this motive rejection

Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi all, I rarely upload here anymore, but this has to be the first rejection that I can't wrap my head around

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... e956ccd185

It was given an HQ1 and then rejected for motive and personal with the message

"Marginal crop, too dark in some areas"

What does that even mean? What is a marginal crop? I didn't even crop this photo, so what is there to crop? It's the natural photo as I took, the sitting position doesn't even allow me to take a picture of the cockpit from farther back. Also, what is too dark in some areas? I appealed this photo and then got it rejected it for motive with no explanation. I don't mind the rejection but I don't even know how to improve the photo with these sort of comments.

klm77
Topic Author

Re: Can someone explain this motive rejection

Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:38 pm

Anyone...?

BWIAirport

Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:06 pm

Not a screener but happy to provide a bit of input:
Motive is kind of a catch-all rejection reason that the screeners will use when the composition or theme of the picture isn't consistent with what the site wants to see. A common motive rejection is pilots waving at the photographer. In your case I honestly don't dislike the motive; I think the sky is interesting as well as the angle. The crop is probably most important here, and they're probably looking for a wider picture that includes more of the instrument panel. A more head-on shot might also have been received better than this high-and-to-the-side perspective (maybe that's the main motive rejection).
The lower instrument panel is certainly dark, and I think some editing software should be able to elevate that a bit.

These two pictures seem most comparable to yours as far as the natural lighting. The 777 picture is definitely brightened, but you can see both have more head-on angles than does yours.

klm77
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:35 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
Not a screener but happy to provide a bit of input:
The crop is probably most important here, and they're probably looking for a wider picture that includes more of the instrument panel. A more head-on shot might also have been received better than this high-and-to-the-side perspective (maybe that's the main motive rejection).

This picture is pretty much the whole instrument panel... so the only thing I'm seeing here then is the fact that it wasn't a head on picture of the cockpit, which I find odd because this (in my opinion) gives a different perspective from the cockpit versus the standard head on, centre flight deck images.