Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GregB145
Topic Author

Post Screening Help

Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:05 pm

Hi,

After a bit of a break, I'm trying to get back in the saddle. Feedback on the next two images would be appreciated. Last trade day at Avalon 2023 and v overcast.

The F-22 was originally a slightly earlier image, going with this one from the burst. Its predecessor was rejected due to Distance and underexposed. Its now about as tight a crop as I can get, going portrait doesn't really work.

https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-co ... to/7197601

The C-2 was rejected for underexposed. Brought back up.

https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-co ... to/7197603

Psych

Re: Post Screening Help

Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:44 pm

Hello.

That is a lovely F-22 photo. My initial thought was that the crop is just too tight top and bottom - I think it needs to breathe a little more. That said, have you considered a 4:3 crop instead of your chosen 16:9 ratio? For me that takes away some of the 'dead' sky to the left and right. Good luck with that.

Paul

GregB145
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:32 am

Psych wrote:
Hello.

That is a lovely F-22 photo. My initial thought was that the crop is just too tight top and bottom - I think it needs to breathe a little more. That said, have you considered a 4:3 crop instead of your chosen 16:9 ratio? For me that takes away some of the 'dead' sky to the left and right. Good luck with that.

Paul

Thanks Paul, a good idea that is much appreciated. I'll try again with a different crop.

Psych

Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:51 pm

You're very welcome. Please do post the revised edit - I would love to see it.

Do you use Photoshop? With your C-2 photo, I had a look at your image and, using Camera Raw, I lifted the shadows just for the aircraft. I thought this looked good and would reduce any likelihood of a rejection for it being a little dark. The quality is such that it can certainly cope with such an adjustment. I am afraid it is so long ago that I posted a photo (not on this or another website) in a thread that I cannot recall how to do it! If someone could remind me I could show you the result.

Paul

GregB145
Topic Author

Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:56 pm

Thanks Paul,

Yes to the photoshop, I'll revisit it again later and lift the shadows. The 4:3 crop was a cracking bit of advice and I took your advice ref leaving a bit of space around it. Its in the queue again :)

https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-co ... to/7199479

It's still a frustrating business trying to learn what is right and what isn't, mainly so I don't waste the reviewers time.

Psych

Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:00 am

For me that F-22 photo looks a lot better. Very best wishes for that one going through screening.

Paul