Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

INNflight
Topic Author

Rejection: Soft / Level....sorry, But No!

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:45 pm

...the saga continues!

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...3_q1258392513.76330r8g5981elal.jpg

Soft: Imho an invalid call, unless of course I would want a jaggy rejection. I could post a 100% crop of the original file if you desire, it's sharp.

Level: Unless I've had my head tilted while editing (and now) someone was being WAY nit-pickish.

It is levelled with the ATC tower as a reference, and as a 2nd reference on the other (left) side of the pic the corner of the building, just left of the top branch of the tree. Any more CW and the left side would be leaning, and more CCW and the right would.

Word around the block is not to use lightpoles for levelling, so I stuck to those main two features.

I'm not trying to be an ass really, but then again we have a semi-aircraft toilet as top of the day  banghead 

Any feedback is appreciated.
Jet Visuals

dazbo5

RE: Rejection: Soft / Level....sorry, But No!

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:19 pm

Quoting INNflight (Thread starter):
Soft: Imho an invalid call

It looks soft on my screen I'm afraid to say, almost blurry in places. With regards to level, I agree with you. All the main reference points look level to me.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

INNflight
Topic Author

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Thank you Darren,

Could you tell me where you see the soft spots / blurry areas?
Jet Visuals

dazbo5

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:41 pm

Quoting INNflight (Reply 2):
Could you tell me where you see the soft spots / blurry areas?

The whole of the T7 looks soft on my screen, particularly the tail and forward of the wings looks almost blurry, particularly the titles. It might just be my screen! To me, it looks like you've had to apply quite a bit of sharpening already. I would think any more would lead to excessive jaggies.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

dl767captain

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:18 pm

I would say soft simply because of the lighting, the 777 just sort of blends in, in terms of softness. Leveling, could maybe use a cw rotation (just a tiny one) to make the ground more level but i think that would make the tower out of whack so i would say its just a tad soft but a really cool pic

macairmetro

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 am

I like what you've done with the framing of this photo, showing the peaks/ridge line of the mountain range in the background and the trees in the foreground.

Your picture is correctly leveled and I would appeal this if this had been the only reason for rejection, describing your case as you have outlined above.

Softness....gee.....bit tricky for me to say. I guess I'd make the comment that the Delta a/c behind the 777 looks 'soft' and possibly the terminal, but given the time of day and the fact you probably had a wide aperture to get the light in, I assume D.O.F is playing a part here....I mean the 777 seems sharp enough for me really. One could also say the trees are a bit soft too in the foreground but if you have a small F-stop as I suspect you had, then the photo is technically correct by focusing on the 777. Sure you could've bumped up the ISO to get greater depth of field, but then I'd be writing about your possible 'noise' rejection wouldn't we.......

Thanks for dragging your backside out of bed early for us all to enjoy this photo in the 'photography feedback' forum; lets hope more can see it with the possibility of it being accepted with a bit of tweaking.

Good Luck,

Macairmetro

[Edited 2009-11-23 23:37:21 by macairmetro]

[Edited 2009-11-23 23:52:45 by macairmetro]
EOS1D2N, 40D, 400D, 70-200mm2.8L and other stuff...

draigonair

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Nice photo mate.
Get the 7D, it has a level device in it  Wink
cheers

alevik

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:22 pm

Looks soft to me on my screen. Given the conditions it is hard to get a sharp photo, but I see softness especially around the front of the aircraft.
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Silver1SWA

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:18 pm

Soft? I don't think so. In fact I see hints of jaggies already.

As far as leveling, having just edited a batch from a recent visit, I would have given a little more CCW rotation. It's been a tricky location for me to level properly
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

alevik

Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:46 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 8):
Soft? I don't think so.

Well, if it popped up in my batch for screening, well, I guess you know what I'd do.

If you feel strongly, appeal. That is what the function is there for. I didn't screen the shot, but I do find it soft.
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Silver1SWA

Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:52 am

Quoting Alevik (Reply 9):
Well, if it popped up in my batch for screening, well, I guess you know what I'd do.

I have just given it another look. While I do see jaggies starting already, something does seem a little off and yes areas do look soft. I am wondering if the point of sharpest focus was slightly behind the 777. This happens to me every once in a while here at SAN, where the background is very complex. The camera focuses just slightly more on the background some times. Just thinking out loud...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.