Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rgrand
Topic Author

Post Screening-Visible Editing Halos

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Hello All:

I would like a bit of help with the attached photo. I've recently started taking pictures again after a long hiatus. I am a profound novice at digital editing. Where on the photo are the "Halos" and how do I remedy them?

Thanks very much

Bob

dlowwa

RE: Post Screening-Visible Editing Halos

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi,

The halos are possibly a result of a couple of things. Some cameras have a feature that automatically lightens darker areas (Nikon's D-lighting for example) in JPEGs produced in-camera. They can also be the result of use of shadow/highlight type tools in editing programs, which do basically the same thing. Someone who looks at a lot of photos will pick it up easily, but a novice might not notice it as quickly. In your image, the sky immediately around the body of the aircraft is not consistent with the rest of the sky - it's lighter, giving it a halo look. If you equalize the photo, it's much easier to see some areas of the sky next to the fuselage are much lighter.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7209/1269704870u4ent1.jpg

If this effect weren't present, the sky would be a lot more uniform, especially in the areas close to the dark areas of the aircraft (as I've indicated).

To fix this, you'll either have to turn off the function in your camera that's doing this, or stop using the shadow/highlight type tools I've mentioned when editing the photo. Once the effect has been applied to a photo, it can't really be reversed, so you'll have to start again from scratch if possible. If the original photo already has this effect applied to it (by the in-camera processing), then I'm afraid there's nothing you can do for it.

Dana

rgrand
Topic Author

RE: Post Screening-Visible Editing Halos

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Dana

Thanks very much! I am shooting with a Nikon D-90. But this photo was taken in NEF format so I must have caused the effect during the editing process.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to highlight the effect on the photo.

Regards, Bob