Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PiedmontINT
Topic Author

Pre-Screening (4 Photos) - General

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:01 pm

I finally was able to get myself out to the RDU spotting area last week after I flew in and I was really impressed with how nice it is! However, there is a bunch of construction going on around it and they are putting up an ugly metal building that is pretty much right in the way of the touchdown zone of 23R. But no matter, I got into RDU at about 2pm and with the August haze in NC, the lighting wasn't exactly the best for shooting. But I got a few shots I liked and wanted to get some feedback / constructive criticism on them and my post processing. Thanks in advance for looking and for feedback!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4907683551_fa6c211704_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4908284860_0b92ba501e_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4908491094_754e53f00a_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4908159729_9452b92feb_b.jpg

NZ107

RE: Pre-Screening (4 Photos) - General

Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:04 am

1. You need to learn how to level photos. All of these have some sort of slope to them which needs to be flattened. It'll go a long way to making a photo look much better. You can try leveling it by the runway edge and seeing if it looks better. I'd say it's a little low in the frame - I like basing the center on the fuselage only with a little leeway possibly. Also, it can be centered better in terms of left/right to get the plane actually in the middle of the plane. It looks oversharpened to me.

2. A bit blurry and also soft in some places. Not too sure if I agree with the contrast either.

3. Motive. If you take a photo of that much of the plane, you may as well take a photo of the entire plane. A nose shot is basically just the nose.

4. Distance. The plane is too small. It'll be the main reason but if the screener wanted to, he/she could possibly go into a bit more.

I think the distance you are to the runway matters a lot - generallty lenses perform worse at the longer end of their ranges.

Hopefully this will help you somewhat..

Cheers,
Nicholas
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

dlowwa

Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:39 am

Nicholas has got it about right. Besides his comments, I would just add that #2 needs a tighter crop, #4 looks like it's suffering from heat haze quality & noise problems already, and you haven't even cropped in close yet. Also, all the photos have colors that are a bit over saturated.

Dana

PiedmontINT
Topic Author

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks all for the replies, after going through what I got again on my desktop pc (and its 22") monitor I have decided to just stick with the AA MD-80 and try to get it uploaded. I knew I forgot something when post proccessing those photos and that was to get them level! So i fixed that and went in for a little tighter crop as well. I also tweaked the color just a smidge so it doesn't look as saturated. The "American" on the fuselage is bugging me as it is reflecting a bit weird in the sunlight and it pops out a bit too much, but is it enough to cause a rejection? I backed off on the sharpening a little as well as I could see some jaggies on the big screen. That ought to teach me for trying to do any photo work on my dinky 12" laptop  

Here is the shot after a little more post work:

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/a1282771523.5872nc_patrip100_2copy.jpg

dlowwa

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:15 am

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 3):
Here is the shot after a little more post work:

Level is still off. Needs more CCW rotation. Color seems ok, though the contrast is a touch on the harsh side. Might also want to re-evaluate the sharpening, starting to see some soft areas (i.e. nose).

PiedmontINT
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:58 am

Okay here is another attempt.. I hope I haven't crossed into oversharpen territory and I kicked back the contrast a little bit. Also I used the grid this time instead of eyeballing it and got it about as level as i can without cutting the tail off and making it look unnatural since its at an angle.

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/v1282790735.4246nc_patrip100_3copy_1.jpg

dlowwa

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:02 am

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 5):
Okay here is another attempt..

Looks better for contrast and sharpening. Level is still off. What exactly are you leveling? It looks like you're attempting to level the aircraft, which of course you should never do. Level any verticals first, and then the horizontals if there are no good verticals to go off of. The taxiway sign at the bottom left and then the runway both tell me you still need CCW rotation, although not a lot.

PiedmontINT
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:39 pm

I am leveling the runway that the a/c is on. I guess I am having a bit of trouble with the leveling because the plane is shot at a weird angle from the spotting area at RDU. I turned the grid on and used that to try to get that runway as level as I can. Im worried that if I rotate and crop I will cut out the tail (since it is on the edge of the frame itself). There is a huge metal building under construction that is really obscuring the spotting area  

I'll give it another shot and post again later as I am currently in class 

Numero4

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 7):
I'll give it another shot and post again later as I am currently in class 

You are now officially addicted to aircraft photography. Welcome to the club.  
CYQB

PiedmontINT
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Okay... I have rotated the image a little more. Hopefully this is up to to par as I just cant go any further without cropping out the horizontal stabilizer. It sucks my best image is of course the one with the worst framing...

Does the fact that I'm shooting from a bit of a weird angle help as a mitigating factor in being absolutely perfectly level? 

Anyway, here is the shot again from Flickr that way the previous example stays in the queue just in case  http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4927874489_2753a528bc_b.jpg

Also here is what it looks like trying to shoot the touchdown zone now at the RDU spotting area.. There is a ton of contstruction around that metal monstrosity that is being worked on. I have to say I am a little disappointed because it was my first time out there and never got to see it with the great views I'm sure it used to have.  Sadhttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4930847522_4924b82b67_b.jpg

[Edited 2010-08-26 17:04:08]

cargolex

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:49 am

I don't claim to be an expert, but...

I think it needs just a tiny bit more CCW rotation. One thing that makes rotating difficult is that some aircraft sit low in front, so if you're processing a shot like this, an even horizon is going to make the fuselage look odd to your eye, at first. I think our brain is predisposed to want to level what we're looking at, rather than the environment it is in.

One thing you can do is create a horizontal guide and choose a horizon to rotate your image to. You've got a very natural one in the edge of the runway. You probably know how to do this but... In PS, CTRL+R will give you the rulers on the top and side. All you need to do to make a guide is to click on the ruler area, don't let go, and drag down a guide to where you want it. You can then move the guide with the move tool. Align this with your intended evening horizon and then rotate as needed. You can create a similar vertical guide using the left axis ruler to line up with a chosen vertical element (usually the strongest vertical element in the frame).

Again, this is only an opinion.

dlowwa

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:21 am

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 9):
Okay... I have rotated the image a little more.

Looks better.

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 9):
I just cant go any further without cropping out the horizontal stabilizer.

Then I guess you have to go with what you've got. It's close enough now it should have a chance. Just know that the latest version you've posted is under the minimum size requirements. At 1024pix wide, it needs to be at least 683pix high; yours is only 676.

PiedmontINT
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:33 am

Thanks for the help everyone! The latest revision has just been uploaded to the queue. And yes it is up to the requisite size, that was just a link from my flickr account that was downsized from the actual file I was going to upload. I appreciate all the feedback and hopefully it can be my first successful submission to the database!