zbot69
Topic Author

Prescreening

Wed May 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Hey Guys,

Have another try at this upload thing.

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...eady/c1304924960.3368dsc_1779b.jpg

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...ady/n1304921126.3974cheklapkok.jpg

As always, thanks in advance for your time!

Martin

EliaLechner

RE: Prescreening

Wed May 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Not sure about the first one... Maybe leave a little more space around? (Not too much though) and maybe it's a bit bright? Could also be my screen here @ work. I can also see some jaggies and some noise (wheels i.e.)

2nd one: Woah, stunning image! I like it! Maybe they will reject it for "too much space at the top" or something like that...

Hope that helps... 2nd Opinion needed anyway...  

Cheers,
Elia

[Edited 2011-05-11 07:52:44]

zbot69
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi Elia! Thx for your quick response!

Quoting EliaLechner (Reply 1):
Maybe they will reject it for "too much space at the top" or something like that...

Hahaha... classic!... then again... ouch! Hope not! Tried applying Rule of Thirds... but all the action was in the sky. Not quite sure what that means for A.net, so wanted some opinions. Thanks for your thoughts though!

On the EK 77F... I can see what you're saying. You might be right. When I upload to A.net, the uploaded shots always seem lighter than the uploaded jpegs. I've tried to compensate before with mixed results. Can't recall what sharpening I applied though. I might have another go at it if I can find the time.

Thanks for your feedback!

dlowwa

Wed May 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi Martin,

First one is overexposed but the noise and sharpening should be fine. It's also quite under-sized - by about 80 pix on the vertical (needs to be minimum 800 if your width is 1200).

For the second one, yes you might want to change the centering (rule of thirds doesn't always apply at a.net of course), and I can see someone getting fooled by the level (looks like it needs ccw initially, but the horizon seems level). This one is also undersized, by a bit less, but still a good 20 pix under what it needs to be.

Dana

zbot69
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Hey Dana!

Thanks for the quick reply and for the feedback! Yeah, haven't been able to find the equivalent auto-resizer in the Nikon edit thingee that the Canon software had, let alone Photoshop.

I tried dividing the terminal and the sky in a more balanced fashion but had to lop off half the photo, which kind of defeated the point for me.

Thanks for your time and your feedback as always!

Martin

zbot69
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Alright... try another stab at this. I've resized the photo to appropriate dimensions, and I've uploaded the original 'big sky' version with a version that has undergone sky-reduction surgery for comparison:

Original resized to 1200x800:

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...y/m1305219529.5816clk_main12x8.jpg

Reduced sky and resized to 1200x800:

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...1305219940.8026clk_main12x8cut.jpg

I'm a little unclear on the reasons behind reducing the sky. There are photos in the database that use a sunset sky motive. Maybe a bit of clarification how my shot differs?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Martijn Droog

View Large View Medium

Photo © Denis Roschlau - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin Whitehead - Jetwash Images

Thanks as always for your time. Trying to understand the A.net way of doing things, and hopefully get the best image possible up.

Martin

dlowwa

Thu May 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Your new version looks ok to me (for centering). The 'a.net way' of doing things comes from its background as a database for slide shooters, where everything needed to be centered perfectly (i.e. rule of thirds didn't apply). The examples that you posted all have one thing in common - spectacularly colorful skies. If the sky is colorful enough, lower centering will probably work, whereas a dull, boring sky will make centering in such a way make less sense.

zbot69
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey Dana! Wow... that is fast! Seriously man, thanks for taking time out of your routine to help out. One last attempt to salvage the sky then... in an attempt to wow you with my sky I've increased the contrast:

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...27914.6713clk_main12x8contrast.jpg

If that's still not working for you I guess I'll have to settle for attempting to get the reduced version on here. On that note... is there anything else that hasn't been covered? Size... level... colors... grain... noise... it's going to be a bit of a bummer to get a rejection for some other reason.

Thanks for taking time out man. Feel a bit sad that the Hong Kong sunsets make you yawn... they mostly make people sick... you don't even wanna see those sunsets actually.

Cheers Dana.

dlowwa

Fri May 13, 2011 5:17 am

I still have the sneaking feeling that it would get a motive rejection, but I would be glad to be wrong. There's just something about the composition at the bottom of the frame that doesn't sit right with me. Anyway, if I got it in screening, I wouldn't reject it, but would pass it along for other opinions so feel free to go ahead and submit it. The only other possible issue I see is the level, as the building near the bottom seems to slope, but just include a note saying the horizon is level, and hopefully that will do it.

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 7):
Thanks for taking time out man. Feel a bit sad that the Hong Kong sunsets make you yawn... they mostly make people sick... you don't even wanna see those sunsets actually.

Sunset's not making me yawn. Like I said, my issue is with the composition at the bottom of the frame, the sky is fine by me. I've spent time in Hong Kong, and I don't ever remember getting sick from the sunset...  

zbot69
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2011 7:21 am

Hey Dana!

Seriously man... do you ever sleep? Thanks again for getting back so fast and for taking time away from screening to give feedback! I read your comment and had an, "Aha!" moment, always fun those, especially when the bulbs upstairs are as dim as mine.

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 8):
There's just something about the composition at the bottom of the frame that doesn't sit right with me.

You know what... as a matter of fact... exactly. Lens is the Nikon 18-105mm kit lens that came with the D90, shot at 18mm focal length. That introduces the barrel distortion. To complicate matters, I had angled the camera, causing the "tilt" in the lower left corner. I read a Photoshop tutorial on barrel distortion and tried to straighten the distortion, but that just warbled the center part of the exposure. Instead I applied a 3% tilt to the right side of the exposure to balance out the perspective (straightening out my camera):

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...305269693.2393clk_main12x8lens.jpg

I hope you agree the correction balances out the shot a bit better. I actually like it more now. I wasn't really looking down at the corner but when you mentioned it I got it immediately (well... since I was the evildoer who decided to angle the camera and shoot @ 18mm).

Regardless... thanks a ton for taking time out of your maddening schedule. I learned a lot as usual. I'll keep it in the queue and hope your guys like the results!

Cheers!

Martin

dlowwa

Fri May 13, 2011 7:41 am

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 9):
I hope you agree the correction balances out the shot a bit better.

Yup, like this version much better.

zbot69
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2011 6:58 am

Just back from the airport and noticed this right off!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Martin Oostdijk

Very cool! Dana, if you catch this... thanks again for jumping right in and extending a helping hand an your expert eye man! I honestly can't believe more people don't take advantage of the feedback forum. Just by following some threads I've also started to realize I'm 'sharpness' and 'softness' impaired, but I'm starting to see the way the pixels flow when you guys mean 'sharpen'. Now just figure out how the sharpen mask actually works!

Thanks again to the whole team for all the effort and assistance, and Dana I'm gonna make an annotation in the comment box! This is pretty cool!

Cheers!

Martin