Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Unrealistic Approach Angle?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Well this has me scratching my head and a tad insulted. I got these rejections this morning all with the same personal message "unrealistic approach angle" with level rejections.

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...e=u1312253087.7103n773axjfknik.jpg

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...e=k1312252788.1571n315aajfknik.jpg

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...e=j1312252624.4376vt-altjfknik.jpg

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...e=j1312251744.5206n796anjfknik.jpg

This is basically saying I rotated the pics to give the illusion of a different approach. After uploading here for over 5 years and not engaging in things like cloning etc I doubt I would start now and Antonis who was shooting with me can attest to the fact these are not rotated as he shot with me on this morning.

Now I can understand these sort of shots are not common at JFK since it's a morning spot many don't use and it's only good for a couple of months out of the year. Still these are not rotated and I will appeal though I will seek some screeners opinions and will probably email the raw .NEFs which will prove these are not rotated.

I would love some input here guys.

viv

RE: Unrealistic Approach Angle?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Jet airliners in landing configuration normally fly nose up.

dazbo5

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Thread starter):
I would love some input here guys.
Quoting NIKV69 (Thread starter):
"unrealistic approach angle" with level rejections.

I have to say I agree with the screener(s). I don't think anyone is accusing you of rotating the photos to make it look like they are in a very steep approach, but they do look like they need some CCW rotation. We have a similar spot to this at my local airport and aircraft (these types anyway) aren't normally nose down at this part of the approach. They just need a bit of CCW to level them. Other than that, they're great shots.

Darren

EDIT: Spelling

[Edited 2011-08-10 06:13:40]

Silver1SWA

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Quoting viv (Reply 1):

And these probably are flying nose up, but due to the angle of the photographer you can't tell.

I dont know, Nick. This is a tough one. I see this kind of angle all the time and it looks natural to me. But it doesn't translate well to photos I guess. I think rotating so they appear level or nose up would look unnatural. I would definitely fix #3 though...that one looks extreme.

[Edited 2011-08-10 06:27:48]

dlowwa

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Nick, no one is accusing you of rotating the images to make things unrealistic; rather, you should have rotated them a bit to make them look more realistic. No need to get defensive, this should be pretty easy to fix with some ccw rotation as mentioned above.

IL76

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Looks normal for this viewpoint. Not my favorite angle, but that's what you see when you position yourself close to the approach path. Rotating them on purpose would make them look strange. I didn't know this has become a rejection reason too. Which category does it fall under?

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 5):
Which category does it fall under?

Level

Quoting IL76 (Reply 5):
Looks normal for this viewpoint. Not my favorite angle, but that's what you see when you position yourself close to the approach path. Rotating them on purpose would make them look strange. I didn't know this has become a rejection reason too

Really why would I rotate a pic that is exactly appearing to me when I shot it when the horizon was level?

JakTrax

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:25 pm

I have to agree with Nik here (for once). Those look like quite normal finals to me, given the angle at which they were shot. Plus I could show you a whole lot of shots where aircraft are coming in nose-down - and I ain't talking CRJs or F50s.

The only one I find to look unrealistic is the Air India. I do think this needs rotation.

Karl

stevemchey

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:59 pm

I would agree with Nik, too. It's all about perspective and just because you don't have a reference point on the ground, doesn't mean the angle is unnatural. In fact, if he were to rotate the images to make them appear "more real", you could tell.

I just went through recently accepted images and found these. I feel OK posting them, because I think they are nice shots and am by no means suggesting they shouldn't have been accepted. They were correctly accepted, and so should have been Nik's shots.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Cornelius Saayman
View Large View Medium

Photo © Nicholas Vollaro

[Edited 2011-08-10 11:01:13]

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks Steve the TAM is mine and taking from the same day. It had passed me a bit more than the rest. I will put a little CCW on the others but not enough to alter the way the shot looked.

derekf

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:31 pm

So basically you are asked to make your photos unlevel to make them look level. (??) These look normal approach shots and the aircraft appear nose down as you are close to the approach path and the aircraft are flying away from you.

Quoting viv (Reply 1):

Not always.

If these were rotated to look nose up they would look bizarre.

dlowwa

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Quoting derekf (Reply 10):
If these were rotated to look nose up they would look bizarre.

Yes, that would be silly which is why that is not what is being requested. All that is being requested is that some rotation be applied so the angle is less acute.

When viewed from a 3/4 angle from behind, of course the aircraft will appear to have a nose-down angle. Some of Nick's shots simply have the angle too acute, and some which were shot directly side-on (the AA for example) have a nose-down angle when they should obviously be level or slightly raised. From personal experience, as opposed to, say, a CRJ, I've never seen a 777 with a nose-down approach.

In the end Nick, if you are unsatisfied with the screening results you are always free to use the appeal function.

JakTrax

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 11):
All that is being requested is that some rotation be applied so the angle is less acute

Aside from the AI, I think it's a little much to ask Nik to rotate what clearly (in my mind) doesn't require rotation.

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 11):
I've never seen a 777 with a nose-down approach

You have now....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

Karl

dlowwa

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 12):
Aside from the AI, I think it's a little much to ask Nik to rotate what clearly (in my mind) doesn't require rotation.

I'm glad you are able to express your opinion clearly Karl.

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 12):
You have now....

Thank you for so eloquently pointing that out, and it might have actually been relevant to the discussion had the images been of the same angle. Alas, they are not. In your image the 777 has passed the 90-degree side-on view, and thus has a slight downward angle - totally normal. Nick's is almost directly side-on, yet has more downward slope than yours.

[Edited 2011-08-10 15:40:52]

JakTrax

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 13):
I'm glad you are able to express your opinion clearly Karl

That wasn't an attempt to be disrespectful. In my mind, whether they would look or feel better with rotation, I maintain that three look passable to me.

777 has passed the 90-degree side-on view, and thus has a slight downward angle

Dana, I'm not going to be funny about this but I could null your 'point' quite quickly by showing you the previous frame in the sequence. At 90 degrees side-on, that UA Triple was still slightly nose-down. Your point was condescending to anyone who has such images of large aircraft; almost suggesting that large aircraft don't ever make nose-down approaches.

It was once said that the team sincerely looks for reasons to accept a shot, not reject it. On this occasion no-one can respectfully reserve the right to say with any certainty that these aircraft were not shot level. With this in mind, should the benefit of the doubt not be given?

I agree that the AI looks unnatural, and I'd say it's fairly likely that that particular one is unlevel. But like I say, I think it's a harsh decision with reference to the others.

Karl

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm glad you are able to express your opinion clearly Karl.

Come on guys I didn't post this to become a rant thread. I may have to call a group hug.

Alas, they are not. In your image the 777 has passed the 90-degree side-on view, and thus has a slight downward angle - totally normal. Nick's is almost directly side-on, yet has more downward slope than yours.

Almost but also much closer and almost underneath do the angle will be different. I will give these some CCWR but it will be very slight as to keep the real look of what I saw when I shot it.

Plainplane

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:07 am

From my perspective all of the shots look fine to me, as the others mentioned little rotation might help balance the AI a little better.

tonyosborne

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Quoting viv (Reply 1):

Clearly Viv hasn't seen any Russian aircraft arrive at his local airport...

viv

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Quoting tonyosborne (Reply 17):
Clearly Viv hasn't seen any Russian aircraft arrive at his local airport.

I have. The An-12 in particular comes in very nose down, sometimes touching down on the nosewheels first - like this:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vivion Mulcahy

I referred to jet airliners (not including turboprops).

[Edited 2011-08-11 12:01:01]

[Edited 2011-08-11 12:05:16]

derekf

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:12 pm

There are many (jet) airliners whose approach pitch attitude is level or nose down as any number of photos on here will show.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 6):
Really why would I rotate a pic that is exactly appearing to me when I shot it when the horizon was level?

Absolutely correct.

JakTrax

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:09 pm

To illustrate my point about the above UA 777 being nose-down, here are some shots from the same spot. In these images, the aircraft retain a nose-up attitude, despite two being further down the runway than the 777.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

Large aircraft do come in nose-down sometimes. These images prove it beyond doubt.

***EDIT***

Coincidently, I have just received the following image via email, taken at one of my locals today.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TzQdndAVGN...UU/s1600/9A-CDA_BHX_2011.08.11.jpg

I rest my case!

Karl

[Edited 2011-08-11 14:11:47]

derekf

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:58 pm

A few to prove that many airliners approach with a very level attitude.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alexander Arildsson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Phil Debski
View Large View Medium

Photo © Weimeng

View Large View Medium

Photo © Marc Riedel
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andreas Loenner

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jose Miguel Bernases
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernhard Bauske

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

The 757 and 777 seem to have most pronounced nose-dwon attitudes; Airbus types seem to fly a lot more nose-up.

Silver1SWA

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Hmmm...Nick's shots are no worse than the Icelandair shot in the post above.   

By the way, as aircraft come in on short final, pitch is constantly changing. I see a lot of airliners as they pass the threshold pitch down momentarily and then back up. The approach is very dynamic, not static. So it can just come down to timing whether a plane appears nose up or nose down.

[Edited 2011-08-11 15:32:08]