Accidentally
Topic Author

Post Screening - Lighting

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:55 am

Just wondering if this is worth saving, and if so, what should I do? Pre-screening I cropped the aircraft out and sharpened it, used a faint post in the distance to the RH side of the A/C to repair some rotation, and I think thats it. Equip used is a Canon 60D and a Canon EF-S 10-22 F/3.5-4.5 at I believe mid zoom with a Hoya UMC UV filter.

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...name=q1332197974.6728crab453_4.jpg

Quote says: "poor lighting conditions/backlit, more contrast needed, needs CCW rotation, thin borders along the frame"

Backlit - well of course...that was my intention. Not sure what to do here?
Contrast - Can do.
CCW - I honestly didn't see this, but it seems to start becoming hard to find a reference with a lens this wide IMO. I used a post on the horizon to the aircraft's RH side to straighten, but obviously that won't work.
Borders - I don't understand this one.

Could you guys give me some tips?

I started writing more here about photography and the fact that I’m a quadriplegic, but decided it deserved its own thread elsewhere since my rejection has nothing to do with my disability. You can see it here if you’d like:

Spotting With A Disability (by Accidentally Mar 29 2012 in Aviation Photography)

-Cory
Indianapolis, IN

dlowwa

RE: Post Screening - Lighting

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:44 am

Hi,

Images that are backlit without a purpose rarely make it through screening, though I don't think yours is too bad. The contrast is very low, almost as if you used the s/h tool. The horizon is not level. If you look closely, you will see there is a thin, one-pixel border around the edge of the frame.

megatop412

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 pm

You're quadraplegic and you shot that? cool angle. wish I would have thought to shoot a few of these when I was going to Purdue.

bravo sir, you inspire me

Accidentally
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:32 am

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 1):
Hi,

Images that are backlit without a purpose rarely make it through screening, though I don't think yours is too bad. The contrast is very low, almost as if you used the s/h tool. The horizon is not level. If you look closely, you will see there is a thin, one-pixel border around the edge of the frame.

Thanks...bunch of help. I'll do my best with the rotation, but I'm going to take the untouched RAW and try again because I think it is db worthy and with your explanations, I know what I gotta do.

-Cory
Indianapolis, IN