Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jpmagero
Topic Author

Post-feedback - Centering (jpmagero)

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:58 am

I had the following photo rejected for centered/contrast with this note: "contrast needs to be higher, aircraft is low in frame".

My question is about the centering: to my eyesight, if I consider the whole of the aircraft, it is centered. I believe there is roughly equal space above the top of the vertical stabilizer and below the bottom of the wheels, and if anything, it is a few pixels high using that criteria. Should I only consider the fuselage or should I exclude the wheels?

Thanks.

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...me=z1338552150.7913img_1118_7d.jpg
John M - Aussie expat in the US

dazbo5

RE: Post-feedback - Centering (jpmagero)

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Quoting jpmagero (Thread starter):
My question is about the centering: to my eyesight, if I consider the whole of the aircraft, it is centered

The aircraft is too low in the frame. While technically it may be centred, the other aircraft in the background fills the area making too much sky. Some photos can be centred by leaving equal space above and the below the aircraft, but some need to be slightly higher or lower to create a balanced feel. There's more space above the aircraft than below in this case anyway. This is one example where it needs to be slightly higher in the frame. It's what looks right rather than how many pixels. In terms of contrast, it's too low. The lighting is not ideal as the aircraft is effectively backlit and the nose is overexposed making it unlikely to be accepted on to the database.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

frankc

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi John,

The vertical centering is accomplished by making the surfaces above and below the aircraft equal (there are some exceptions but it looks applicable in this case to me).
Looking at your image, the amount of surface above the aircraft if significantly larger that the amount of surface below the aircraft. This most likely triggered the rejection for centering.

Best regards,
Frank Clautier

jpmagero
Topic Author

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:31 pm

Edit - leaving my original post below, but if I re-read the comments, I understand it to mean that "centered" may not really mean centered, but more "balanced", in that it's not the actual centering of the photo, but about the balance of the image as a whole. I suppose that makes judging images more subjective, though agree on an image like this, would be more pleasing than a strictly centered aircraft. PS - any reason it's not called "balanced" instead of "centered"?

So it's not about the aircraft as a whole, but the fuselage then? I guess I'm looking for a simple answer to what does "centering" mean, the whole aircraft, a part of the aircraft, the bulk of the aircraft depending on it's angle, surface areas above/below the aircraft, what's pleasing to the eye, etc? I'm not trying to be cheeky, just find out what "centering" actually means in this context. I've had photos on other DBs judged on very specific criteria about the whole of the aircraft (top of the stabilizer to the bottom of the wheels), so trying to figure out if that's the same here, or different.

[Edited 2012-06-09 08:37:58]
John M - Aussie expat in the US

dazbo5

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Quoting jpmagero (Reply 3):
what's pleasing to the eye

Ultimately, it's what looks right. There are no set rules other than what looks right. Most of the time, you want a roughly equal distance above and below the aircraft, although this varies by aircraft type. For example those with a large tail such as the 737 needs to be slightly lower in the frame than say a 767. Each photo is different so it needs to be centred based on the photo content and angle.

Quoting jpmagero (Reply 3):
any reason it's not called "balanced" instead of "centered"?

They both amount to the same thing. If you check your photo, you'll find there's more space above the aircraft than below.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

dlowwa

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:33 pm

I actually think you got the centering just about right. As you say the amount of space between the bottom of the gear and the top of the tail is about the same. Darren has got it right, what makes it look unbalanced is that the top part is empty sky, and the bottom has the ground. I bet if the background were only blue sky, it wouldn't look as off.

In the end, it's a really a moot point though, as there's nothing you can do to fix the terrible backlighting.